Upgrading from XP Home to XP Professional

I have XP professional from my last computer (it's now inoperable) and XP
home on my new PC. I'm not sure what to do or how difficult it is to upgrade
my new computer to XP Professional with that same software.

Just load and go? I know I do need to set a restore point, since there's not
one yet.

thanks

Hi,

It's a very easy process moving from XP Home to Professional.
Just load the disc and it will prompt you whether you want to upgrade to
Professional or do the full installation for Professional Edition.

Upgrade - you can roll back your OS from Professional to Hom anytime if you
choose this, all your data and files will still be intact and nothing will
be lost.

Full installation - installation will reformat your HDD and you will lost
all your data if you don't backup them.

Kelvin Lin
http://www.webgururox.info

"Liilo" <Liilo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP professional from my last computer (it's now inoperable) and XP
> home on my new PC. I'm not sure what to do or how difficult it is to
> upgrade
> my new computer to XP Professional with that same software.
>
> Just load and go? I know I do need to set a restore point, since there's
> not
> one yet.
>
> thanks

Thanks Kelvin!!

"Kelvin Lin" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's a very easy process moving from XP Home to Professional.
> Just load the disc and it will prompt you whether you want to upgrade to
> Professional or do the full installation for Professional Edition.
>
> Upgrade - you can roll back your OS from Professional to Hom anytime if you
> choose this, all your data and files will still be intact and nothing will
> be lost.
>
> Full installation - installation will reformat your HDD and you will lost
> all your data if you don't backup them.

> Kelvin Lin
> http://www.webgururox.info
>

> "Liilo" <Liilo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have XP professional from my last computer (it's now inoperable) and XP
> > home on my new PC. I'm not sure what to do or how difficult it is to
> > upgrade
> > my new computer to XP Professional with that same software.
> >
> > Just load and go? I know I do need to set a restore point, since there's
> > not
> > one yet.
> >
> > thanks

Bear in mind that if the WinXP Pro came with the original system (wasn't a
retail disk), then it may be an OEM version. If this is the case, the disk
may not do the upgrade. Even if it does, it may not activate due to OEM
license restrictions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Check here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Liilo" <Liilo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP professional from my last computer (it's now inoperable) and XP
> home on my new PC. I'm not sure what to do or how difficult it is to
> upgrade
> my new computer to XP Professional with that same software.
>
> Just load and go? I know I do need to set a restore point, since there's
> not
> one yet.
>
> thanks

TRENDING THREADS