HP5850 wireless inkjet under w2k

Just finished install after 2 maddening sessions with HP tech support over
live chat and one successful session over phone.

The upshot is the the install software, which is supposed to work under
W2000 Professional, does not. I had to install via the "add printer" route.
The 2 tech support chats just ran me through menus, with no knowledge of how
this printer works. The second had the decency to admit she was stumped;
the first gave me a vague "check with system admin for the correct
configuration settings" without having any idea of what configuration
settings she was talking about.

The phone session tech was not more knowledgeable on this printer, since he
clearly had to go look everything up. But he at least was able to navigate
and understand their documentation and apparently reached out to 2nd level
support. Finally got it up with his help.

Bottom line (other than the poor tech support), was that the install
software cannot be used under w2k. You must take the "add printer; create a
new port; std tcp/ip port" route. When asked, specify "have disk" and use
the drivers on install cd under the "enu" directory. Hope this helps
someone else.

As to support, its a conundrum. A company can only afford to provide
limited support for a $80 printer, but less support would be needed if the
install process and tools were of better quality.

And not to get into an offshore rant; I'm pretty sure ALL 3 techs were
offshore. Certainly the one on the phone, who finally got me up and
running, was offshore.
2 answers Last reply
More about hp5850 wireless inkjet

    As a follow-up, I installed on a second PC yesterday. This one was running
    W98.
    Again, the install program "encountered a severe error" with no further info
    except to restart the computer and retry (which does not work). Again,
    installing manually was successfull.

    We have 2 b/w laser printers at home with limited need for color. This is a
    really nice little printer that can serve as the occasional color printer on
    a network without the need for a cable (assuming you have wireless). Speed
    is acceptable and print quality is fine. It's a shame HP released it with
    such poor install software; compounded with poor (1 for 3) support.
    Although I should mention that there was little wait time on both support
    options.

    "HG" <t296********@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Just finished install after 2 maddening sessions with HP tech support over
    > live chat and one successful session over phone.
    >
    > The upshot is the the install software, which is supposed to work under
    > W2000 Professional, does not. I had to install via the "add printer"
    route.
    > The 2 tech support chats just ran me through menus, with no knowledge of
    how
    > this printer works. The second had the decency to admit she was stumped;
    > the first gave me a vague "check with system admin for the correct
    > configuration settings" without having any idea of what configuration
    > settings she was talking about.
    >
    > The phone session tech was not more knowledgeable on this printer, since
    he
    > clearly had to go look everything up. But he at least was able to
    navigate
    > and understand their documentation and apparently reached out to 2nd level
    > support. Finally got it up with his help.
    >
    > Bottom line (other than the poor tech support), was that the install
    > software cannot be used under w2k. You must take the "add printer; create
    > new port; std tcp/ip port" route. When asked, specify "have disk" and use
    > the drivers on install cd under the "enu" directory. Hope this helps
    > someone else.
    >
    > As to support, its a conundrum. A company can only afford to provide
    > limited support for a $80 printer, but less support would be needed if the
    > install process and tools were of better quality.
    >
    > And not to get into an offshore rant; I'm pretty sure ALL 3 techs were
    > offshore. Certainly the one on the phone, who finally got me up and
    > running, was offshore.

    I have a similar tale of woe with my HP DJ6840 wireless printer I just
    bought. Setup installed just fine on 2 of my networked pc's but
    refuses to install on my laptop (XP home SP-2) I was wondering if
    your printer installed with the driver from enu on the disk (I have
    done the same workaround) is fully functional with bidirectional
    communication? If you click on service printer and then on ink levels
    does it show you the ink levels or just say bidirectional
    communication is not working? I have spent 80 minutes on the phone
    and 3 very long chat sessions with HP tech and gotten nowhere beyond
    the partial functionality with none of the extra features of bi-dir
    comm and addl. software that comes with the printer. It is a pain to
    not be able to install the software separately. The setup disk
    uninstalls everything including the windows setup port when it hits
    the "Severe error" dialog box and uninstalls.
    Thanks in advance
    John

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:47:09 -0500, "HG" <t296********@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >As a follow-up, I installed on a second PC yesterday. This one was running
    >W98.
    >Again, the install program "encountered a severe error" with no further info
    >except to restart the computer and retry (which does not work). Again,
    >installing manually was successfull.
    >
    >We have 2 b/w laser printers at home with limited need for color. This is a
    >really nice little printer that can serve as the occasional color printer on
    >a network without the need for a cable (assuming you have wireless). Speed
    >is acceptable and print quality is fine. It's a shame HP released it with
    >such poor install software; compounded with poor (1 for 3) support.
    >Although I should mention that there was little wait time on both support
    >options.
    >

    >"HG" <t296********@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Just finished install after 2 maddening sessions with HP tech support over
    >> live chat and one successful session over phone.
    >>
    >> The upshot is the the install software, which is supposed to work under
    >> W2000 Professional, does not. I had to install via the "add printer"
    >route.
    >> The 2 tech support chats just ran me through menus, with no knowledge of
    >how
    >> this printer works. The second had the decency to admit she was stumped;
    >> the first gave me a vague "check with system admin for the correct
    >> configuration settings" without having any idea of what configuration
    >> settings she was talking about.
    >>
    >> The phone session tech was not more knowledgeable on this printer, since
    >he
    >> clearly had to go look everything up. But he at least was able to
    >navigate
    >> and understand their documentation and apparently reached out to 2nd level
    >> support. Finally got it up with his help.
    >>
    >> Bottom line (other than the poor tech support), was that the install
    >> software cannot be used under w2k. You must take the "add printer; create
    >> new port; std tcp/ip port" route. When asked, specify "have disk" and use
    >> the drivers on install cd under the "enu" directory. Hope this helps
    >> someone else.
    >>
    >> As to support, its a conundrum. A company can only afford to provide
    >> limited support for a $80 printer, but less support would be needed if the
    >> install process and tools were of better quality.
    >>
    >> And not to get into an offshore rant; I'm pretty sure ALL 3 techs were
    >> offshore. Certainly the one on the phone, who finally got me up and
    >> running, was offshore.

Hewlett Packard Support Printers Computers