ASUS QFan technology and Aero 7+

hethatishere

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
Currently everything is running well (but loud), with my second self-built computer. How things have changed. Motherboard manufacturers have added tons of neat features to their Mobos, and don't really document how to use them. It used to be a matter of plugging everything in and then dealing with the mess of wire, but now, there is tweaking to be done. ^^

I'd like to use the QFan technology with my Aero7+. How do I do that? ASUS' site wasn't very helpful nor was the manual I got with my motherboard. Infact the manual has ONE mention of Qfan and it's only a description.

I don't want to experiment too much because of the fear of my CPU burning out without proper cooling, so can someone provide instructions of how to activate the QFan technology and how to correctly connect/configure the Aero7+ to take advantage of it.

Also, I have several Thermaltake SmartFan II's inside the case, what recommendations do people make about how to run those? Currently they are running at full speed which is quite loud. These fans do automatically adjust using the temperature sensor, so where are good place to stick these according to their location? (One mounted in the front for intake, two in the back for exhaust.)

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
In order to use Q-Fan, you have to plug your Aero V blower directly to your CPU_Fan header (i.e. get power from your mobo). And then you must upgrade the BIOS to rev1004 or above, so you can use Q-Fan. But actually, if you are afraid your CPU may burn, you shouldn't use Q-Fan, because you can control the fan speed of Aero 7+ by the fan controller but Q-Fan has to depend on the temp reading by sensor, and just a reminder, Q-Fan actually lower down your fan speed when the CPU temp reading is below 50*C, and run your fan at full speed above 50*C. I would say control the fan speed manually is always better than dedpending on the may-be-faulty sensor. And I believe SmartFan II has the manual fan speed controller too, use them.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>