Floppy technical problem

It could just be a dead floppy. or it could be where the troubleshooter leaves
you hanging.

A: Has quit recognizing a floppy when it's in the drive. At one time it did
work which makes me think it's the 2nd problem vs the dead floppy.

When did it quit ? I suspect the moment I installed the DVD Drive. Bringing the
total IDE drives attached to
A: floppy, C: 152 gig Maxtor, D: DVD R/W, E: CD R/W F: Maxtor 300 gig, G: 9.44
gig IBM DTTA

6 total drives. The troubleshooter says more than 4 is too many. If I'd had to
make a choice as to which drive to lose, A: would have been the choice.

But I wasn't asked, it just quit being recognized when a floppy was in it.

Last step, uninstall and let the OS detect and install worked like a charm.

Is there something special needed to have 5 IDE drives on an XP Pro system ?
The troubleshooter quit at that point with 'look elsewhere for help.'

Odd that none of the other drives quit. More than 4 isn't supported ? Works
fine for me at 5 drives.

More about floppy technical problem

    In news:sqofb1psoi8hptp711nfphdabpjb8edd27@4ax.com,
    Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> had this to say:

    > It could just be a dead floppy. or it could be where the
    > troubleshooter leaves you hanging.
    >
    > A: Has quit recognizing a floppy when it's in the drive. At one time
    > it did work which makes me think it's the 2nd problem vs the dead
    > floppy.
    >
    > When did it quit ? I suspect the moment I installed the DVD Drive.
    > Bringing the total IDE drives attached to
    > A: floppy, C: 152 gig Maxtor, D: DVD R/W, E: CD R/W F: Maxtor 300
    > gig, G: 9.44 gig IBM DTTA
    >
    > 6 total drives. The troubleshooter says more than 4 is too many. If
    > I'd had to make a choice as to which drive to lose, A: would have
    > been the choice.
    >
    > But I wasn't asked, it just quit being recognized when a floppy was
    > in it.
    >
    > Last step, uninstall and let the OS detect and install worked like a
    > charm.
    >
    > Is there something special needed to have 5 IDE drives on an XP Pro
    > system ? The troubleshooter quit at that point with 'look elsewhere
    > for help.'
    >
    > Odd that none of the other drives quit. More than 4 isn't supported ?
    > Works fine for me at 5 drives.

    What happens if you enter your BIOS setup, as the PC is booting, and disable
    three mode floppy support? XP doesn't support three mode floppy so there's
    known issues with this.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    The Floppy Drive isn't IDE ! The Floppy drive works from a Floppy Disk
    Controller NOT IDE.
    What do you have the 5 IDE Hard drives cabled too?? The Motherboard only
    supports 4 ide controllers? Do you have a PCI IDE Controller in a PCI Slot?
    You may install 4 IDE Hard drives on the IDE BUS, and 2 Floppy drives on
    the FDDC Bus Line.
    THAT IS ALL UNLESS YOU INSTALL A SEPERATE CONTROLER CARD. You can get
    another 4 IDE Hard Drives if you use a PCI Controller card ( or ISA Card)
    If you are using SCSI Drives, then that is another story.

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:11:24 -0400, "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote:

    >The Floppy Drive isn't IDE ! The Floppy drive works from a Floppy Disk
    >Controller NOT IDE.
    >What do you have the 5 IDE Hard drives cabled too?? The Motherboard only
    >supports 4 ide controllers? Do you have a PCI IDE Controller in a PCI Slot?
    > You may install 4 IDE Hard drives on the IDE BUS, and 2 Floppy drives on
    >the FDDC Bus Line.
    >THAT IS ALL UNLESS YOU INSTALL A SEPERATE CONTROLER CARD. You can get
    >another 4 IDE Hard Drives if you use a PCI Controller card ( or ISA Card)
    >If you are using SCSI Drives, then that is another story.

    And all that helps me get the floppy running again how ?
    The system sees the drive and reports nothing wrong, except it can't see a
    floppy when I put it in.

    Did you try different (like brand new) media? Let's look at a possible chain
    of circumstances:
    1. While installing new drives you needed to undo cables to other drives
    (perhaps including your floppy drive.
    2. One or more cables (probably floppy) were put in backwards.
    3. One or more diskettes were inserted in this state.

    In this case the following would happen:
    1. The floppy disks would no longer work on any computer.
    2. The FDD would not be able to read diskettes.

    One thing that may point to this situation is if the floppy drive light
    stays on rather than coming on and then turning off.

    Questions:
    Do you hear sounds from the floppy drive indicating that the drive is
    attempting to read a disk?
    When you insert a diskette and then try to access it via My Computer, does
    the floppy drive light come on and then turn off (eventually)?

    If the answer to either is "no" then check all cables and power cables.

    "Husky" wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:11:24 -0400, "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The Floppy Drive isn't IDE ! The Floppy drive works from a Floppy Disk
    > >Controller NOT IDE.
    > >What do you have the 5 IDE Hard drives cabled too?? The Motherboard only
    > >supports 4 ide controllers? Do you have a PCI IDE Controller in a PCI Slot?
    > > You may install 4 IDE Hard drives on the IDE BUS, and 2 Floppy drives on
    > >the FDDC Bus Line.
    > >THAT IS ALL UNLESS YOU INSTALL A SEPERATE CONTROLER CARD. You can get
    > >another 4 IDE Hard Drives if you use a PCI Controller card ( or ISA Card)
    > >If you are using SCSI Drives, then that is another story.
    > >

    > And all that helps me get the floppy running again how ?
    > The system sees the drive and reports nothing wrong, except it can't see a
    > floppy when I put it in.
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:03:06 -0700, "Kathea Banshou"
    <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Did you try different (like brand new) media? Let's look at a possible chain
    >of circumstances:
    >1. While installing new drives you needed to undo cables to other drives
    >(perhaps including your floppy drive.
    >2. One or more cables (probably floppy) were put in backwards.
    >3. One or more diskettes were inserted in this state.
    Simplest [and most costly] solution. Seems the floppy has a very tiny power
    cord. It wasn't plugged in.
    You'd think if the power cord to it weren't plugged in that would shoot up a
    red flag to the OS. NOOOOOOOOOOOoo. device is installed and working correctly.
    Can you imagine towing your car in cause there's no gas, and the mech says
    nothing wrong even without sticking gas in ?

    And during the process of getting it plugged back in, getting a little elbow
    room and manhandling 300 other cords that are all tied together the printer
    took a nose dive.
    Now it Gives an overload on the USB port.
    I held off more than 7 years getting a printer. I guess I just wasn't meant to
    use a printer.
    My $10.00 floppy works now and the $97.00 printer is a door stop.
    Guess there is an upside. rebooting had to reconfigure every device on the
    machine, It lost the boot drive, failed to load OS now that the floppy worked.
    Lost another drive, now has a completely screwed up mess.
    Could have lost the whole machine for this stupid $10.00 floppy. That's what it
    was reporting.

    >In this case the following would happen:
    >1. The floppy disks would no longer work on any computer.
    >2. The FDD would not be able to read diskettes.
    >
    >One thing that may point to this situation is if the floppy drive light
    >stays on rather than coming on and then turning off.
    >
    >Questions:
    >Do you hear sounds from the floppy drive indicating that the drive is
    >attempting to read a disk?
    >When you insert a diskette and then try to access it via My Computer, does
    >the floppy drive light come on and then turn off (eventually)?
    >
    >If the answer to either is "no" then check all cables and power cables.
    >
    >"Husky" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:11:24 -0400, "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The Floppy Drive isn't IDE ! The Floppy drive works from a Floppy Disk
    >> >Controller NOT IDE.
    >> >What do you have the 5 IDE Hard drives cabled too?? The Motherboard only
    >> >supports 4 ide controllers? Do you have a PCI IDE Controller in a PCI Slot?
    >> > You may install 4 IDE Hard drives on the IDE BUS, and 2 Floppy drives on
    >> >the FDDC Bus Line.
    >> >THAT IS ALL UNLESS YOU INSTALL A SEPERATE CONTROLER CARD. You can get
    >> >another 4 IDE Hard Drives if you use a PCI Controller card ( or ISA Card)
    >> >If you are using SCSI Drives, then that is another story.
    >> >

    >> And all that helps me get the floppy running again how ?
    >> The system sees the drive and reports nothing wrong, except it can't see a
    >> floppy when I put it in.
    >> --
    >> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

    Perhaps you should make some other posts regarding these new issues.
    I have never ever heard of a printer not working and an OS crashing because
    of a Floppy drive. Much more likely something that happened with your cable
    handling.

    Anyway who needs a floppy these days anyway :)

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:03:06 -0700, "Kathea Banshou"
    > <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Did you try different (like brand new) media? Let's look at a possible
    >>chain
    >>of circumstances:
    >>1. While installing new drives you needed to undo cables to other drives
    >>(perhaps including your floppy drive.
    >>2. One or more cables (probably floppy) were put in backwards.
    >>3. One or more diskettes were inserted in this state.
    > Simplest [and most costly] solution. Seems the floppy has a very tiny
    > power
    > cord. It wasn't plugged in.
    > You'd think if the power cord to it weren't plugged in that would shoot up
    > red flag to the OS. NOOOOOOOOOOOoo. device is installed and working
    > correctly.
    > Can you imagine towing your car in cause there's no gas, and the mech says
    > nothing wrong even without sticking gas in ?
    >
    > And during the process of getting it plugged back in, getting a little
    > elbow
    > room and manhandling 300 other cords that are all tied together the
    > printer
    > took a nose dive.
    > Now it Gives an overload on the USB port.
    > I held off more than 7 years getting a printer. I guess I just wasn't
    > meant to
    > use a printer.
    > My $10.00 floppy works now and the $97.00 printer is a door stop.
    > Guess there is an upside. rebooting had to reconfigure every device on the
    > machine, It lost the boot drive, failed to load OS now that the floppy
    > worked.
    > Lost another drive, now has a completely screwed up mess.
    > Could have lost the whole machine for this stupid $10.00 floppy. That's
    > what it
    > was reporting.

    How did the floppy become unplugged in the first place? Any idea? Generally
    floppy power plugs grip on like there is no tomorrow.

    By the way I've fixed and built many systems over the years. I've never
    encountered a situation whereby the entire system had to be reconfigured
    because a floppy drive that wasn't plugged in was reconnected. You have a
    lot more problems with your system than a floppy drive problem.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:19:34 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote:

    >How did the floppy become unplugged in the first place? Any idea? Generally
    >floppy power plugs grip on like there is no tomorrow.
    >
    >By the way I've fixed and built many systems over the years. I've never
    >encountered a situation whereby the entire system had to be reconfigured
    >because a floppy drive that wasn't plugged in was reconnected. You have a
    >lot more problems with your system than a floppy drive problem.

    There's maybe 100 cords inside the box. I've used ties to attempt to organize
    them. Making them next to impossible to move more than a fraction of an inch.
    Possibly when tying up the 6 foot drive and power cable with 3 or 4 of the
    other cables, I pulled the tie too tight pulling the power cord out. Buried
    deep in the back of the rats nest of cables, finding the unplugged cable wasn't
    easy. Elbowed the printer a bit too far, 4 ft fall, destroyed the USB cable and
    connector on the printer.
    Printer looked intact, plugged back in, took a single command. reported
    overload on USB bus. Had to troubleshoot that problem. Mouse didn't work. No
    troubleshooting now. Unplug printer, mouse works, 'New Device detected.' moving
    things around 'new devices detected' etc...

    But things are working now.

    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:19:34 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>How did the floppy become unplugged in the first place? Any idea?
    >>Generally
    >>floppy power plugs grip on like there is no tomorrow.
    >>
    >>By the way I've fixed and built many systems over the years. I've never
    >>encountered a situation whereby the entire system had to be reconfigured
    >>because a floppy drive that wasn't plugged in was reconnected. You have a
    >>lot more problems with your system than a floppy drive problem.
    >
    > There's maybe 100 cords inside the box. I've used ties to attempt to
    > organize
    > them. Making them next to impossible to move more than a fraction of an
    > inch.
    > Possibly when tying up the 6 foot drive and power cable with 3 or 4 of the
    > other cables, I pulled the tie too tight pulling the power cord out.
    > Buried
    > deep in the back of the rats nest of cables, finding the unplugged cable
    > wasn't
    > easy. Elbowed the printer a bit too far, 4 ft fall, destroyed the USB
    > cable and
    > connector on the printer.
    > Printer looked intact, plugged back in, took a single command. reported
    > overload on USB bus. Had to troubleshoot that problem. Mouse didn't work.
    > No
    > troubleshooting now. Unplug printer, mouse works, 'New Device detected.'
    > moving
    > things around 'new devices detected' etc...
    >
    > But things are working now.
    >
    > --
    I'm glad to hear things are working. I have a hard time envisioning your
    system. I've never seen a box with as many cables inside that yours seem to
    have. An unusual setup to be sure. What is the air flow like? Do you have
    heat issues?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:20:48 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote:

    >"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:19:34 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>How did the floppy become unplugged in the first place? Any idea?
    >>>Generally
    >>>floppy power plugs grip on like there is no tomorrow.
    >>>
    >>>By the way I've fixed and built many systems over the years. I've never
    >>>encountered a situation whereby the entire system had to be reconfigured
    >>>because a floppy drive that wasn't plugged in was reconnected. You have a
    >>>lot more problems with your system than a floppy drive problem.
    >>
    >> There's maybe 100 cords inside the box. I've used ties to attempt to
    >> organize
    >> them. Making them next to impossible to move more than a fraction of an
    >> inch.
    >> Possibly when tying up the 6 foot drive and power cable with 3 or 4 of the
    >> other cables, I pulled the tie too tight pulling the power cord out.
    >> Buried
    >> deep in the back of the rats nest of cables, finding the unplugged cable
    >> wasn't
    >> easy. Elbowed the printer a bit too far, 4 ft fall, destroyed the USB
    >> cable and
    >> connector on the printer.
    >> Printer looked intact, plugged back in, took a single command. reported
    >> overload on USB bus. Had to troubleshoot that problem. Mouse didn't work.
    >> No
    >> troubleshooting now. Unplug printer, mouse works, 'New Device detected.'
    >> moving
    >> things around 'new devices detected' etc...
    >>
    >> But things are working now.
    >>
    >> --
    >I'm glad to hear things are working. I have a hard time envisioning your
    >system. I've never seen a box with as many cables inside that yours seem to
    >have. An unusual setup to be sure. What is the air flow like? Do you have
    >heat issues?

    P4, 3.2 ghz hyper threading. room for 4 gigs ram. 1 gig current, 1 CD, 1 DVD, 3
    HD's 1 is a SATA, 1 floppy, 1-4 outlet USB adapter, ATI AIW, internal modem.
    In Florida, heat will kill ya, but I have 3 internal fans, 1 on the chip, one
    up front, one on the back, and the heat buildup can get so bad that I've just
    taken to running commando with the sides completely open to air flow.

    It burned up the 1st 300 watt power supply with the sides off about 2-3 hours
    after getting it home. Went to 450 on the shops dime.

    Now the monitor software alerts when the fan drops below 3000 rpm normal
    because of cool running It idles at 2600 just on the border.

    Chip temps just a bit over 98.6...
    Could stick another fan or two on, but not real sure the chips were designed to
    run at less than 100 degrees.

    If you have 100 cords in your computer you don't need the un-necessary
    printer anyway!
    Maybe you should think about scrapping that "Cord" hogging piece oj junk
    and get you a new computer ( maybe a "Dell") I think a person like you
    deserves a DELL.
    (think about that)

Floppy Disk Windows XP