running with different credentials.

We have a very well written program (not) that will not run in a limited
account unless it is run with different credentials ie. admin plus
password. Is there any way to get this pile of garbage to remember the
fact that every time it needs to run, it will need to use different
credentials which have already been inputted. At present, evry time the
shortcut is used we have to go the trough same proceedure each time.
PITA!
TIA
Mike H
remove -bats- to reply
9 answers Last reply
More about running credentials

    Hi Mike,

    Are you running on XP home or pro edition?

    "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

    > We have a very well written program (not) that will not run in a limited
    > account unless it is run with different credentials ie. admin plus
    > password. Is there any way to get this pile of garbage to remember the
    > fact that every time it needs to run, it will need to use different
    > credentials which have already been inputted. At present, evry time the
    > shortcut is used we have to go the trough same proceedure each time.
    > PITA!
    > TIA
    > Mike H
    > remove -bats- to reply

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:27:07 -0700, "Fido"
    <Fido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Mike,
    >
    > Are you running on XP home or pro edition?
    Fido eh? used to operate a steam turbo generator by that name ;-)

    right, sorry should have mentioned we're on XPPro
    Many thanks
    Mike H

    >"Mike Hyndman" wrote:
    >
    >> We have a very well written program (not) that will not run in a limited
    >> account unless it is run with different credentials ie. admin plus
    >> password. Is there any way to get this pile of garbage to remember the
    >> fact that every time it needs to run, it will need to use different
    >> credentials which have already been inputted. At present, evry time the
    >> shortcut is used we have to go the trough same proceedure each time.
    >> PITA!
    >> TIA
    >> Mike H
    >> remove -bats- to reply

    remove -bats- to reply

    Hi Mike,
    The program should be able to run properly if the user had Power User
    rights. (Need to be logged in as an admin or a user with admin rights) You
    can modify the user by right clicking My Computer, Manage, click Local Users
    and groups, in the tree on the left, then double click on the user. When the
    next window comes up, click on Member Of tab, then click Add button on the
    bottom. Here you will be able to grant the user Power Level access. Should
    take care of the problem.

    "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:27:07 -0700, "Fido"
    > <Fido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Mike,
    > >
    > > Are you running on XP home or pro edition?
    > Fido eh? used to operate a steam turbo generator by that name ;-)
    >
    > right, sorry should have mentioned we're on XPPro
    > Many thanks
    > Mike H
    > >

    > >"Mike Hyndman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> We have a very well written program (not) that will not run in a limited
    > >> account unless it is run with different credentials ie. admin plus
    > >> password. Is there any way to get this pile of garbage to remember the
    > >> fact that every time it needs to run, it will need to use different
    > >> credentials which have already been inputted. At present, evry time the
    > >> shortcut is used we have to go the trough same proceedure each time.
    > >> PITA!
    > >> TIA
    > >> Mike H
    > >> remove -bats- to reply
    > >>

    > remove -bats- to reply

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:31:05 -0700, "Fido"
    <Fido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Mike,
    > The program should be able to run properly if the user had Power User
    >rights. (Need to be logged in as an admin or a user with admin rights) You
    >can modify the user by right clicking My Computer, Manage, click Local Users
    >and groups, in the tree on the left, then double click on the user. When the
    >next window comes up, click on Member Of tab, then click Add button on the
    >bottom. Here you will be able to grant the user Power Level access. Should
    >take care of the problem.
    Hello Fido,

    The problem is the "users" concerned are bunch of 8 year old trainee
    "cyber terrorists", hence the need for a limited account for them.(They
    haven't managed to crack the admin password yet though) What other
    "rights" would this action confer on them.

    I've tried what you suggest on this PC and when I select Member of Tab,
    then add, I get a Select Groups dialogue box. Three boxes,
    Select this Object type (Group, no others show when clicking Object type
    box))
    From this Location (Computer name, Location button only shows this PC)
    and then
    Enter the object names to select. (grayed out until inputted)

    I've been onto the people who originally made the software (there is a
    version 2,) to see if the original problem still exists but as of yet,
    no reply.

    Many thanks for your reply

    Mike H
    remove -bats- to reply

    Fix the program.

    You can do what you asked but then they'll always be able to make themselves admins. It is only meant for admins who are running as a User.

    Get regmon and filemon and monitor your program and find what it doesn't like and then change the secirity on that object(s).
    www.sysinternals.com

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 05:52:24 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

    >Fix the program.
    >
    >You can do what you asked but then they'll always be able to make themselves admins. It is only meant for admins who are running as a User.
    >
    >Get regmon and filemon and monitor your program and find what it doesn't like and then change the secirity on that object(s).
    >www.sysinternals.com
    Thanks David,

    When we try to run it without changing the credentials it says that
    there is either not enough disc space (new 150Gig) or a dll is missing.
    we then change the creds and all's well until next time we need to run
    it and have to do it all over again.
    The prog version is supposed to W2000 compliant but have contacted the
    software house with this problem and am awaiting a reply.
    Many thanks
    Mike H

    remove -bats- to reply

    Run those two programs, run your program as a user, where it tries to do something and isn't allowed Regmon and Filemon will tell you what object.

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:02:45 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

    >Run those two programs, run your program as a user, where it tries to do something and isn't allowed Regmon and Filemon will tell you what object.

    David,

    Many thanks, very useful apps. unfortunately they will not run in the
    limited account and if I change it the problem they would be checking
    for disappears.
    Its the actual prog exec file that refuses to run, saying that the disc
    may be full.
    Still no word from the supplier.
    Regards
    Mike H
    remove -bats- to reply

    See if XP's Auditing can help. Type auditing in help.

    Reg & File mon can show your the files and then you could see which ones might have wierd security and check each file manually.
    "Mike Hyndman" <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:3foib1pq9eu2sb3io85imn5ocbbpd7ubhj@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:02:45 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
    >
    >>Run those two programs, run your program as a user, where it tries to do something and isn't allowed Regmon and Filemon will tell you what object.
    >
    > David,
    >
    > Many thanks, very useful apps. unfortunately they will not run in the
    > limited account and if I change it the problem they would be checking
    > for disappears.
    > Its the actual prog exec file that refuses to run, saying that the disc
    > may be full.
    > Still no word from the supplier.
    > Regards
    > Mike H