p4p800 deluxe/mouse problem

scrappypappy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
hello, i've installed windows 98 then the XP pro upgrade on my p4p800 deluxe machine. in both operating systems the mouse will not work. i've switched from ps/2 to USB but neither will work. in BIOS i've enabled and disabled USB 2.0 but still there's no effect. i tried loading the motherboard's drivers but using tab on the keyboard won't let me select what drivers i need...anybody else have any suggestions?

Death is the only adventure you have left

pat

Expert
Did you try to remove the mouse in the device manager, the reboot to have windows to redetect it?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

scrappypappy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
well i got the mouse working in the ps/2 port, but it still won't work in my USB ports. i tried hooking my digital camera up to the USBs also, but that didn't work either. the jumper settings are what they're supposed to be, at least they're what the motherboard layout paper thing that came with the board says. grrr

scrappypappy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
yeah, i have SP1. is there an SP2? or are there any USB drivers that i can download somewhere? my brother has USB 2.0 and his work fine. It's not a windows problem either, i don't think, because even in the BIOS with everything enabled it still says i don't have any devices attached even though my mouse is definitely plugged in. i might just get a PCI USB card, i really don't want to RMA cuz i'm going off to college in 3 weeks

scrappypappy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
yeah, there's a yellow exclamation mark for the "SM Bus controller." I tried getting a driver from my asus disk but it didn't have it. However, it says my USB ports and controllers are working fine. What is the sm bus controller, and does it have anything to do with USB? Thanks a lot for your help

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Normally you install the chipset drivers after the operating system from a CDROM. Did you do that?

Another idea is to do a low level erase or write 1/0 to the entire drive. Then use the XP to partition the drive. (This is part of the install process) Then install the OS.

If this is an update just stick the qualifying OS in the hard drive during the insall process to verify it.

when you see smoke is that a good sign?

pat

Expert
Ok, just put your asus cd in your drive and in device manager, right-click on the device that has an exclamation mark an select update driver. select automatic search (dont specify any location) for your drivers and just make sure that it will look on your cd. it should find the right drivers and install them. You might have to reboot after that, so do it.

scrappypappy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
i tried the asus disk, but that didn't work. but i downloaded the chipset drivers from the intel site and that fixed the sm bus controller problem. but the USB ports still wont recognize anything, despite it saying that everything is working fine in windows. bloody computer, i think i'll just reformat and try all over again. if that doesn't work i'll just get a PCI USB card, that should work right?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
if your bios does not detect the devices then how is this a windows problem?

I think you need either a bios update or need to enable usb mouse support in your bios...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

pat

Expert
A pci card should fix your problems, but you'll still have a defective mobo. If you get a pci card, buy it from a local store, so if it dont fix your problems, you can take it back to the store you bought it. did you tried to unplug everything that is usb, shut down the computer, wait 2-3 minutes, power it back and then, once in windows, plug one usb device in?

scrappypappy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
yeah, i don't think it's a windows problem either. a semi defective mobo, getting some PCI USBs would work the same, if it actually works. i mean, if i have to RMA i have to pay for shipping anyway so it would probably come out to being around the same amount. FRY's has a 5 port USB card for $15. if that doesn't fix the problem i'll have to send the stupid mobo back. but if it fixes the problem i'll be happy. yeah, i've tried what you mentioned...

scrappypappy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
so i got a 2 port USB card for $14 with a $9 mail in rebate at FRY's, and they work perfectly. sucks to asus though :(

pat

Expert
So you have a bad board. But for the price you got your card, it is way cheaper than having to RMA thr board and paying for S/H. If you dont run out of PCI slot, it is not a big deal. Did you try yor onboard USB after having installed the PCI USB card?