Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Avatar Breaks Blu-ray Piracy Records

Last response: in News comments
April 29, 2010 12:25:07 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I guess it broke a little too many records!
Score
April 29, 2010 12:31:14 AM

Pretty impressive, but to be fair The Dark Knight came out on Blu-ray when it was still extremely high priced to even own a player. I paid $29.99 for Blu-ray releases at the time too, now you can get the same new releases for $10 cheaper and players have dropped about a hundred or more and it was two years ago. Just saying, they broke many records but the comparison for a new format is kind of just a slick way to boost their ego given the other variables that exist.
Score
Related resources
April 29, 2010 12:31:23 AM

i fell asleep in the movie theater
what's the carry on about this movie?
Score
April 29, 2010 12:31:59 AM

nugget your right about the plot but man it was awesome in theaters to watch. the images were amazing. the blueray looks bitchin on my lcd at home as well.
Score
April 29, 2010 12:33:43 AM

mcnuggetofdeathWhy would someone spend time downloading a poorly written rehash of Pocahontas? If you want pretty explosions and colors go buy yourself some LSD and fireworks. You'll have more fun. I promise.

It was like wow and then I was like boom!
Score
April 29, 2010 12:34:35 AM

I bought this Blu-Ray instead of pirating like normal because I believe in buying movies I personally like and will watch more than once. For a so-so movie I only will watch once there's no way I'll pay $25.

We need full digital downloads of movies for say $3 for standard def and maybe $5 for HD. That may sound low but at those prices they will more than make up for the lower cost in quantity....and digital downloads costs nothing for the seller, no packaging, no shipping and handling. Sell cheap, but you'll sell so many more copies. The studios and game companies just don't get this FACT. If video games we're $10 to download new releases no one would really pirate, it just wouldn't be worth it to save $10.
Score
April 29, 2010 12:39:43 AM

I actually enjoyed the movie more in my house than I did in the theatre. I bought the regular dvd and upscaled it on my ps3, and even that looked incredible. The movie itself wasnt that great but i bought it for the effects, personally hurt locker and shuitter island are better movies in terms of story in my opinion. THe sci fi thing isnt really new considering it reminded me of aliens, starcraft,final fantasy, and ferngully combined.

Score
April 29, 2010 12:53:53 AM

How can we compare it to dark nights sales. werent blu ray discs double the price and blu ray players were more expensive?....
Score
Anonymous
April 29, 2010 1:10:11 AM

"This is a must for Blu-Ray. Buying this on DVD doesnt make sense. This movie is about the visual effects not the story. "

And you lose most of the effect by buying it on blueray. It was ment to be viewed in 3d.
Score
April 29, 2010 1:22:03 AM

mcnuggetofdeathWhy would someone spend time downloading a poorly written rehash of Pocahontas? If you want pretty explosions and colors go buy yourself some LSD and fireworks. You'll have more fun. I promise.

Sad dude, it was a good movie.
Score
Anonymous
April 29, 2010 1:31:30 AM

It was worth buying. I Bought it. I also "tried it before I buyed it" lol.
Score
April 29, 2010 1:44:28 AM

Do people only care about visuals these days? The visuals were spectacular but the story was terrible. I found it bland, cliche, and predictable. I was rooting for the humans, screw those blue hippies!
Score
April 29, 2010 2:03:15 AM

I rented the BD for 2.99$ at my local video store and watched it on a 55" 1080P Sammy/Bose 7.1 and it was simply awesome, no need to pirate anything since the download is going to take an average of 6hrs + you need a blank BD-R disk and burner. When you add all that up you actually spent more money than you needed to. Ironic heh?

Score
April 29, 2010 2:04:03 AM

I'm surprised so many people bought this bare-bones release...A special edition likely including 20-40 minutes of additional footage is being released later this year.
Score
April 29, 2010 2:47:27 AM

the studio knows people are too impatient to wait for the better release
they're going to turn this into Star Wars like releases I bet
Score
April 29, 2010 3:12:09 AM

Nah, Star Wars was better than Pocahontas.
Score
April 29, 2010 4:27:15 AM

Funny thing is this was aired as a rip on CUBAN National TV back at the end of January complete with Spanish sub-titles. Made me laugh and surprised, until I realized, yeah Cuba's not very pro-USA and pro-copyright. ;) 

I watched it again even though I saw it twice in theatres, cause it was raining outside that night. :whistle: 

Just goes to show, make a movie good enough (either by plot, or technology) you'll still make a stink-load of money, even with lotsa people pirating it.

It also makes me wonder how much of the piracy is driven by the idea that why would you buy the BluRay when it has no special features on it and I know a 3D version with all the extras is coming later?

Some people will pay for it because it's the latest content for their home theatres, but others aren't willing to pay for it when they know another better version is coming. Same with The Lord of the Rings which launched with the Theatrical release instead of respecting consumers with the launch of the full movie.

Leave it to the media accountants & lawyers and you'd have them talk more about the lost revenue of Avatar not it's actual sales & profits. :mouais: 
Score
April 29, 2010 4:32:56 AM

There are some of us who bought the blu-ray and still can't play it because of the length of time it takes for firmware updates to fix this.
drm is useless all it does is cause problems for people who buy it not the pirates.
Next time if they have another release like this im going to scream better yet class action lawsuit time, i should not have to buy another blu-ray player because 1 movie will not play on it.
It might be another week or so before a proper firmware upgrade will allow me to watch it.
Score
Anonymous
April 29, 2010 4:38:49 AM

p05estoI bought this Blu-Ray instead of pirating like normal because I believe in buying movies I personally like and will watch more than once. For a so-so movie I only will watch once there's no way I'll pay $25.We need full digital downloads of movies for say $3 for standard def and maybe $5 for HD. That may sound low but at those prices they will more than make up for the lower cost in quantity....and digital downloads costs nothing for the seller, no packaging, no shipping and handling. Sell cheap, but you'll sell so many more copies. The studios and game companies just don't get this FACT. If video games we're $10 to download new releases no one would really pirate, it just wouldn't be worth it to save $10.

what u said is pretty dumb imho... dude... these companies already made the studies.... and guess what... they already thought about your brilliant idea.... and guess what were the results.... NOT WORTH IT...
thats why they selling at 30$...
dont worry.... they know what they are doing...

as for now.. ill just keep downloading movies....
Score
April 29, 2010 5:39:03 AM

i don't blame those people, dvd and bluray movies are way too expensive...think of how overpaid actors are these days.
Score
April 29, 2010 6:02:07 AM

... we here have a copyright tax on all storage devices... so... it seams, i have payed, but... haz this money get to Cameron? Don't know...
Score
April 29, 2010 6:54:57 AM

PuckerFactorI'm surprised so many people bought this "bare-bones" release...A special edition likely including 20-40 minutes of additional footage is being released later this year.

I seem to remember the same thing happening with the "Lord of the Rings" movies after release.
Score
April 29, 2010 7:40:11 AM

well im one that is ULTRA ANTI disks if it cant fit my hard drive it not gonna get into my house. thanks to steam i do get a lot of good games. But before i find a good 720p/1080p download service its not gonna get bought. and who the hell takes 6h to download a HD movie you clearly got into the wrong places i newer go under 1,5mbs and 720p is no problem when they are on 4,4gb same as dvd about 30-40min dl time at max.
Score
April 29, 2010 7:49:34 AM

techguy911There are some of us who bought the blu-ray and still can't play it because of the length of time it takes for firmware updates to fix this.drm is useless all it does is cause problems for people who buy it not the pirates.

Indeed. But it also requires more complicated hardware, that supports DRM crap, and also requires manufacturers of the mentioned hardware to pay license fee.

This world is corrupted by commercial greediness...
Score
April 29, 2010 8:30:19 AM

nebuni don't blame those people, dvd and bluray movies are way too expensive...think of how overpaid actors are these days.

what do you mean "these days" actors have almost always been grossly overpaid, only diference is now the media whores actors out. funny how things turn around most of human history acting was considered a poor career and actors tehm selves were looked down upon by the "upper" society , that beign rich merchants and Nobles , but hell today the actors are teh upper society and it's disgusting, these guys and gals , do far less real work than any other huamns alive, and tehy contribute even elss to society granted culture is nice , but can society go on with out movies .. i think so. can society go with out garbage men to pick up trash every week ... i defnitely think not , yet compare the two salaries , and and you will see the less important job rakes in more moeny than teh more important job does.

lol end rant sorry i just get so worked up becuase every one flips out with star struck eyes over actors and theya re just lazier versions of the rest of us.

that aside , i was some what disapointed with this movie , not only did this seem directly from pocahonas, abut a similar move (battle for terra) came out a full year before this movie did ( and BfT didnt include the alien /human love story even) and now it just seems to be largely forgotten in the wake of this movie. sorry i'm not some one that is pleased with just a visual eye candy theme park in my movies , i liek stories with original depth to them as well. that said it's no suprise it is gettign pirated , lotta customers are pissed ahbout that DRm on it.
Score
April 29, 2010 10:13:24 AM

Avatar stops looking good in 1080p
Score
April 29, 2010 11:24:15 AM

p05esto...and digital downloads costs nothing for the seller, no packaging, no shipping and handling. Sell cheap, but you'll sell so many more copies. The studios and game companies just don't get this FACT.

Wow, you just don't get the reality of digital downloads. Sorry. Sure, the thing you mention aren't a cost, but there are other costs created due to digital downloads. Server hardware/support, Data fees, licensing, Web site development/support, customer support, client software testing/support, etc. I can go on and on.

It's not as simple or inexpensive as you think.
Score
April 29, 2010 12:22:43 PM

PuckerFactorI'm surprised so many people bought this "bare-bones" release...A special edition likely including 20-40 minutes of additional footage is being released later this year.

It's also going to be $20-$40 more than this release. I'll just download the extras as they will be released in the wild soon after the special edition release. And fort the record I did buy this BD...looks awesome on a big screen and with 120hz!
Score
April 29, 2010 1:19:07 PM

Funny how they are purposely holding back the release of the 3D version, all they care about is $$$
Score
April 29, 2010 1:32:18 PM

"this could be in part due to the larger file size (~10GB) and the fact that Blu-ray market penetration is nowhere near DVD levels yet."
The writer has a basic understanding of the size of Blu-Ray movies, so there's something basically wrong with the above sentence.
1. A Blu-Ray movie is usually close to 50GB, so 10GB couldn't be a "full" Blu-Ray rip release.
2. Considering 1, the relatively low numbers don't have anything to do with the relative low market penetration of Blu-Ray compared to DVD.
3. The discussed released is clearly a compressed Blu-Ray rip (probably x264 mkv), so again this has nothing to do with the low market penetration of Blu-Ray.
4. Combining the total downloads of all the different Avatar compressed (x264 mkv) releases, I'm sure that the numbers are much much higher.
Score
April 29, 2010 2:53:48 PM

Avatar is to movies as Crysis is to PC games [bland storyline but great visual effects/eye candy]
Score
April 29, 2010 3:57:11 PM

watch BluRay on movie from Netflix,, couple months, p rices down then buy for $20 or less.....studios are shooting themselves in the foot, having to pay to watch episodes (only have access for limited time then poof they are gone) of Smallville, Season 9, started at episode 16, irritating enough that I won't buy the set to go along with Series 7 & 8 BluRay sets... maybe someday see the first 15 if free on Hulu or inten
Score
April 29, 2010 4:48:17 PM

Quote:
and the fact that Blu-ray market penetration is nowhere near DVD levels yet

We are talking about torrent downloads, you don't need a damn Blu-Ray player to play an mkv rip of it! This statement is merit-less.

eltoro, a 10Gb mkv is so close in quality to a real blu-ray, it's not worth comparing over. I've played both dark knight blu-ray and a rip on my 1080p projector with a 103" screen, and other than a VERY small amount of pixelation from compression, they are identical, you can't tell unless you know it will be there.
Score
April 29, 2010 5:42:30 PM

TunaSodaFunny how they are purposely holding back the release of the 3D version, all they care about is $$$

If they tried to release it on 3D, it would flop horribly due to lack of 3D capable hardware in the homes. Sounds smarter from a marketing standpoint to hold off on the 3D release unless they bundle it with another form of media as in my example below.
I thought it was interesting that a dollar amount was not attached to this quantity because I also bought Avatar on Blu-ray this weekend but, I got it for $16 and it came bundled with the DVD version. I think this bundling method may have slanted the figures they are posting as sales numbers to be honest. I want to see more data.
Score
April 29, 2010 5:47:32 PM

doctorpinkthese companies already made the studies.... and guess what... they already thought about your brilliant idea.... and guess what were the results.... NOT WORTH IT...thats why they selling at 30$

No they aren't respecting the studies, which actually show that they would profit more from having much lower prices. Studies show that the profit models work better into the nickles for songs and just a few bucks for videos/movies especially downloads, but the issue is the compensation structure for the studio execs, which work on set volume targets, not revenue targets.

The studios blamed the cost of making BluRays, yet they had no problem pricing the Special edition of Blade Runner with 3 BR disks and 2 DVDs at the same price as a single disk title.

Pricing for media in North America is artificially high because of the free enforcement arm of the government and the continual extension of Mickey Mouse copyright laws to aide the studios, not the consumer or the artists.
Score
April 29, 2010 6:02:43 PM

Blu-Ray is a joke of a video media format. No thanks. Yeah in MKV format this would've been 4 gigs with 720p or 1080p, why do we need blu-ray again?
Score
April 29, 2010 6:05:31 PM

eltoro"this could be in part due to the larger file size (~10GB) and the fact that Blu-ray market penetration is nowhere near DVD levels yet."The writer has a basic understanding of the size of Blu-Ray movies, so there's something basically wrong with the above sentence.1. A Blu-Ray movie is usually close to 50GB, so 10GB couldn't be a "full" Blu-Ray rip release.2. Considering 1, the relatively low numbers don't have anything to do with the relative low market penetration of Blu-Ray compared to DVD.3. The discussed released is clearly a compressed Blu-Ray rip (probably x264 mkv), so again this has nothing to do with the low market penetration of Blu-Ray.4. Combining the total downloads of all the different Avatar compressed (x264 mkv) releases, I'm sure that the numbers are much much higher.

Actually very rarely does a movie actually fill up 50gb or even 25gb. You can huff and puff all you want, most of that size is filled up with dummy files. If you ever tried a newer DVD (not BD), you'll notice that the DVD size (which is 8gb) says its 20gb's even though it can't fit on the disc. Each title is read as being 4.7gb which it clearly can not be.

Blu-ray is a waste of money, technology and marketing. I'll be surprised if ever generates a profit close to DVD. in fact has it generated a profit at all yet?
Score
April 29, 2010 6:20:44 PM

yeh dude, my average dl speed was 25kB/s, i started the torrent on the 24th and it finished last night, was aait, not as good as i expected it to be, 1080p is really the way to live
Score
April 29, 2010 6:51:50 PM

JAMES CAMERON IS PISSED!!! LOL
Score
April 29, 2010 7:07:08 PM

AntilycusBlu-Ray is a joke of a video media format. No thanks. Yeah in MKV format this would've been 4 gigs with 720p or 1080p, why do we need blu-ray again?

Because without it you'd have nothing to rip it from?? Unless of course you own your own movie theater and can convert that film to digital format for everyone else....

That was as stupid a comment as I've seen so far...
Score
April 29, 2010 10:04:27 PM

maigoAvatar stops looking good in 1080p

I disagree, I specifically bought a Blu-Ray player along with Avatar, I though it looked fantastic in 1080i.
Score
April 30, 2010 12:19:13 AM

I have a ps3 so I'm going to wait for the 3D version. If you can toggle the 3D, I'll buy the 3d copy, otherwise I'll wait till I can buy a 120Hz+ TV and make this the first movie I buy for it. I thought it was an ok movie but only for the graphics which stopped wowing my about 30 minutes in.
Score
Anonymous
April 30, 2010 3:08:43 AM

I bought the regular DVD because the local J&B hifi had it on sale for $19(AU), which is unusual for a new release block buster movie to be sold at near bargain-bin prices (usually $30-35).

I saw the movie originally at IMAX 3D (awesome experience) but I missed the first 5 minutes because of parking problems in Sydney.

However, I also downloaded a 2g DVDrip last night because I wanted a backup (the original DVD is proving difficult to make a backup of) and a copy to play on my Zen X-Fi2 media player.

Have I pirated the movie? In my opinion, NO! I paid over $30 to see the movie in IMAX 3D plus another $20 on the original DVD. All I have done is secured a backup copy of my original DVD.

They have been playing the Blue-Ray DVD trailer at J&B. It looked awesome and truly did the media justice for the technology. If any title is a killer-app for Blue-Ray (like The Matrix was for DVD), Avatar is that title.
Score
April 30, 2010 3:26:51 PM

I will never download or buy this movie, the hollywood hype makes me sick. Can a movie be that good? No. Are there good movies out there worth the effort, yes. Doesn't it bother you when a movie is shoved down your throat? This one was declared the number one movie of the year, the century, the season, the millenium, etc. etc. Puke.
Score
Anonymous
April 30, 2010 6:42:35 PM

And the fact that blu ray player seem to virtually all need an update (still not available for most players) to even play the bluray movie, and then, you get the DELIGHT of random graphical corruption- no wonder people download the hi def version, since when you buy it, it's near unwatcheable... I would hardly blame people that bought it if they downloaded it too - bluray still need a lof of freaking work, yes it looks awesome, but there are too many issues and compatibility issues still - this format needs to die quickly, and be replaced by something less dodgy.
Score
May 4, 2010 12:29:05 AM

I was not one of them, but everyone in my family except me has watched Avatar already. I refuse to.
Score
May 4, 2010 5:29:03 PM

Don't torrent yet because the service blocks the upload and upload speed and it appears you're expected to upload as much as you down. Will netflix this movie and any BluRay before considering buying. Still wait until price is less than $20 and still overpriced. Not to mention the anger when your connected bluray has to update to even play a title.
Score
!