Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade for Aion. Need help

Last response: in Video Games
October 9, 2009 12:39:28 AM

Hey everyone. I just picked up building PCs as a hobby and I have been thinking of doing a major overhaul on my current box.
I was thinking of maybe waiting a little longer because I was wanting my next upgrade to be to the Core i7 chips, but recently I was playing Aion (mmorpg) and I was in a fortress raid... My computer had serious difficulty dealing with the amount of characters on the screen. It crashed multiple times and would resort to not showing characters till they were very close me, or they would jsut be completely invisible. Even as I reduced the graphics it was still the same. Frame rates dropped dramatically.
I know that dealing dealing with with that amount of detail is hard on the computer, but I wanted to ask you guys, for my next upgrade, what parts should I be focusing on to make heavy situations like that much easier for my PC? Here's my current spec

Vista 64
Quad core 2.4GHz
8 GB RAM (though I am not sure of the timings or speed..)
Geforce GTX 260 896 mb ddr3

I am thinking about switching to core i7 920 and trying to overclock it. I am also thinking that perhaps RAM might be an issue? And I have been hearing about a lot of gamers using Raptor haddrives and RAID 0?? The point is I am not sure:)  So I am coming to you all for advice. Thanks in advance for your rsponses.

More about : upgrade aion

October 9, 2009 2:49:40 AM

What is your budget?

Also, a couple of things...

Why do you think your RAM would be an issue?
What kind of CPU du you have, Intel, AMD, Phenom, i7? Be very specific please.
What do you currently have for a power supply? Again, be specific.
And your Videocard, is that a core 216 version, or regular GTX 260?
m
l
October 9, 2009 5:45:21 AM

$2000 without tax is my budget.

I am not sure what the timing on my RAM is, or the speed. I am not really sure how those effect the performance of the RAM as well, nor do I know how big a part RAM plays in running these types of games.

Power Supply is a Cooler Master 750W
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

As far as I know, the video card is a regular GTX 260... didn't know there was a different one:) 
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

If you have any other questions about my hardware, let me know. Thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2009 7:10:17 AM

wanderingmonk said:
As far as I know, the video card is a regular GTX 260... didn't know there was a different one:) 

There are ones with 192 Stream Processors, and ones with 216 Stream Processors. More is obviously better in this case.

wanderingmonk said:
$2000 without tax is my budget.

....Uhh. You do realize you could build a whole new PC for that, right?
I'd suggest an i5 750 and a 5850. Go into the builds section and post a New Build Request.

m
l
October 9, 2009 7:20:30 AM

I realize. I didn't know there was a section for new rigs! But I also wanted advice on what parts I should be spending more cash on to make this particular game perform better.

Wouldn't a core i7 920 be better than i5 750? Or do I just not need that much CPU power? Also, I am not too keen on the Radeon cards. is the 5000 series equivilant to the nvidia 200 series?
m
l
October 9, 2009 7:41:33 AM

Oh also forgot to mention, my processor is a Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:58:10 AM

Overclock that Q6600! Should easily go to at least 3.2GHz. Good experience for when you do upgrade and want to overclock your new CPU.

What motherboard do you currently have?
m
l
October 9, 2009 2:52:58 PM

wanderingmonk said:
I realize. I didn't know there was a section for new rigs! But I also wanted advice on what parts I should be spending more cash on to make this particular game perform better.

Wouldn't a core i7 920 be better than i5 750? Or do I just not need that much CPU power? Also, I am not too keen on the Radeon cards. is the 5000 series equivilant to the nvidia 200 series?

Post your build request following the format laid out by the sticky at the top there. They will help you build a PC more
than capable of playing Aion.

As easy as it is for me to spend your money, the i5 will not disappoint you performance-wise. If you are completely set on a
i7 920, though, then by all means get an i7.
The Radeon 58xx series is the new generation cards just released a little while ago by ATi. A 5850 performs better than a
GTX 285 in most cases, and is not too hard on the wallet.

mi1ez brings up a good point, though. You could simply overclock your Q6600 to squeeze more performance out of it. There is
a sticky in the overclocking section on how to do this.

The choice is now yours, good luck!
m
l
!