Confusion connecting front USB/IEEE on case to IS7

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
For the Firewire, the IS7 manual says to connect pins TPA0+, TPA0-, GND, GND, TPB0+, TPB0-, +12v, +12v, NC, and GND to the header.

Coming out from Firewire port on the front of the case is a gray cable with the pins TPA+, TPA-, TPB+, TPB-, VG, and VP.

I don't understand what I need to connect. What is VG and VP? Does "GND" stand for "Ground"? What about teh +12v thing? What is that?

if it is needed, my case is a Chieftec Server Chassis case.

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
It appears there is an extra pin on the mobo header. Firewire comes in three flavors, 4, 6, or 9 pins. Your IS7 has 10. However you have an extra +12v so I would assume it is the actually the 9-pin variety, aka Firewire 800, capable of 800 Mbps. Of course now the problem is that your case is of the 6-pin flavor of firewire, aka Firewire 400, capable of only 400 Mbps. Don't fret, they are backward compatible, but of course your case will be limiting you to 400 Mbps. And there is one more hitch. You have 3 GND pins on the mobo, but they are not equal. One is the Power Ground, which you should attach to VG on the case. The other two are TPA(R) and TPB(R), which you will not be using. You need to determine which GND pins are what, so you can be sure to hook the proper one to VG. Then just attach the remaining pins to their respective connectors and you should be fine. NC is the reserved pin, which is not used, and +12v is VP. Just ignore the extra +12V, it doesn't matter which one you use.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML