Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MSN Messenger problem (asked in other newsgroup)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:13:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have a problem I asked in the MSN Messenger newsgroup a few days ago,
and no one at all responded.. I'll try here.

Windows Messenger 5 works fine and uses my Net Passport account fine. I
had MSN Messenger (from 6.2) going OK, then tried MSN 7. And now I can not
log in - it tries, but eventaly aborts because it can't join the network.

The other problem is in my control-panel/add-remove-programs, MSN
Messenger 6.0 listed separately. And it does not exist. It says last
accessed on 6/24/04. Yet I cannot remove the darned thing from add-remove
because it can't find whatever it needs to do so..

Now the big problem - I no longer can go back to any version of MSN
Messenger. Even if I try to remove all traces of a previous install, it
knows.

I've spent hours running around trying to get v7 to work. I have been
without MSN Messenger for a while now.

So (1) how do I remove the listing of MSN Messenger 6.0 in add-remove
programs?

And (2) how do I get MSN Messenger to work again? Preferably v7.

I've removed then deleted the MSN Messenger folders and have cleaned up
the registration trying to get something to reset. MSN 7 when installing
ends up with the previously used settings when installed.

Windows messenger 5 works fine and uses my Net Passport account fine. I
tried MSN Messenger (from 6.2) and it will not let me log online ever even
though email address and password are ok for my net password account.

Other problems are there is, in my control-panel/add-remove, MSN Messenger
6.0 listed, and it does not exist, it says last accessed on 6/24/04. Yet I
cannot remove the darned thing from add-remove because it can't find
whatever it needs.

Also when trying to install 6.2 again it says no msnmsgs.msi exist. and I
have run around with that too.

I've spent hours running around trying to get 7 to work. I have been
without MSN Messenger for a while now.

So how do I remove the listing of MSN Messenger6.0 in add-remove programs
when the thing does not exist? And how do I get MSN Messenger to work
again? Preferably v7.

I've removed then deleted the MSN Messenger folders and have cleaned up
the registration trying to get something to reset. MSN 7 when installing
ends up with the previously used settings when installed.

I'm Ok with Windows Messenger, but I cannot initiate voice chat, it has to
come from them, if it works at all - some it will not work. (well always
have had voice problems on and off).

Thanks for any input.
...D.

...D.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:17:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You've posted one (1) message to "other newsgroup" and that wasn't too long
ago:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.ms...

Messenger MVP Jonathan Kay can't be there 24/7 so be a little patient and
see if he doesn't reply to your post soon.

Alternately, review previous posts about the same problem:
http://snipurl.com/frjq
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security


....D. wrote:
> I have a problem I asked in the MSN Messenger newsgroup a few days ago,
> and no one at all responded.. I'll try here.
>
> Windows Messenger 5 works fine and uses my Net Passport account fine. I
> had MSN Messenger (from 6.2) going OK, then tried MSN 7. And now I can not
> log in - it tries, but eventaly aborts because it can't join the network.
>
> The other problem is in my control-panel/add-remove-programs, MSN
> Messenger 6.0 listed separately. And it does not exist. It says last
> accessed on 6/24/04. Yet I cannot remove the darned thing from add-remove
> because it can't find whatever it needs to do so..
>
> Now the big problem - I no longer can go back to any version of MSN
> Messenger. Even if I try to remove all traces of a previous install, it
> knows.
>
> I've spent hours running around trying to get v7 to work. I have been
> without MSN Messenger for a while now.
>
> So (1) how do I remove the listing of MSN Messenger 6.0 in add-remove
> programs?
>
> And (2) how do I get MSN Messenger to work again? Preferably v7.
>
> I've removed then deleted the MSN Messenger folders and have cleaned up
> the registration trying to get something to reset. MSN 7 when installing
> ends up with the previously used settings when installed.
>
> Windows messenger 5 works fine and uses my Net Passport account fine. I
> tried MSN Messenger (from 6.2) and it will not let me log online ever even
> though email address and password are ok for my net password account.
>
> Other problems are there is, in my control-panel/add-remove, MSN Messenger
> 6.0 listed, and it does not exist, it says last accessed on 6/24/04. Yet I
> cannot remove the darned thing from add-remove because it can't find
> whatever it needs.
>
> Also when trying to install 6.2 again it says no msnmsgs.msi exist. and I
> have run around with that too.
>
> I've spent hours running around trying to get 7 to work. I have been
> without MSN Messenger for a while now.
>
> So how do I remove the listing of MSN Messenger6.0 in add-remove programs
> when the thing does not exist? And how do I get MSN Messenger to work
> again? Preferably v7.
>
> I've removed then deleted the MSN Messenger folders and have cleaned up
> the registration trying to get something to reset. MSN 7 when installing
> ends up with the previously used settings when installed.
>
> I'm Ok with Windows Messenger, but I cannot initiate voice chat, it has to
> come from them, if it works at all - some it will not work. (well always
> have had voice problems on and off).
>
> Thanks for any input.
> ...D.
>
> ...D.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:16:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:17:53 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

...D. wrote:
>> I have a problem I asked in the MSN Messenger newsgroup a few days ago,
>> and no one at all responded.. I'll try here.
>> [snipped]

>You've posted one (1) message to "other newsgroup" and that wasn't too long
>ago:
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.ms...
>
>Messenger MVP Jonathan Kay can't be there 24/7 so be a little patient and
>see if he doesn't reply to your post soon.
>
>Alternately, review previous posts about the same problem:
>http://snipurl.com/frjq

Thanks for the advice,

I'd just like to ad though that my post in the MSN Messenger newsgroup was
posted 6/18, and my post in this newsgroup was on posted 6/21. Not being
a turd here, but that really seems long enough to wait - more than.

...D.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:39:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

....D. wrote:
> I'd just like to ad though that my post in the MSN Messenger
> newsgroup was posted 6/18, and my post in this newsgroup was on
> posted 6/21. Not being a turd here, but that really seems long
> enough to wait - more than.

For *free* and *volunteer* help?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:30:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:39:14 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>...D. wrote:
>> I'd just like to ad though that my post in the MSN Messenger
>> newsgroup was posted 6/18, and my post in this newsgroup was on
>> posted 6/21. Not being a turd here, but that really seems long
>> enough to wait - more than.
>
>For *free* and *volunteer* help?
>Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Yes of course that is a long time to wait in any newsgroup that receives
more than a few posts a day.. This is why I pick the Microsoft newsgroups
to ask questions in (and I sometimes reply) because the daily traffic is
pretty good. In fact some are actually too busy for my taste (one for sure
is the Microsoft general windows XP newsgroup).

If no one answers after 24 hours is a newsgroup that gets good traffic, it
is my experience that no one will ever answer much of the time (stumped or
whatever).. But I waited twice that time anyway.

...D.

P.S. - I am curious as to the usage of "MS-MVP". Does Microsoft officially
run the Microsoft.public newsgroups, and are you a Microsoft employee
assigned to the newsgroup(s), or ??
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:41:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

....D. wrote:
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>
> P.S. - I am curious as to the usage of "MS-MVP". Does Microsoft
> officially run the Microsoft.public newsgroups, and are you a
> Microsoft employee assigned to the newsgroup(s), or ??

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:46:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:msdub1hj4pkfqf06eka4m6124qaeg0jb1l@4ax.com,
....D. <d@no_usenet_email..org> typed:

> P.S. - I am curious as to the usage of "MS-MVP". Does Microsoft
> officially run the Microsoft.public newsgroups, and are you a
> Microsoft employee assigned to the newsgroup(s), or ??


Although Microsoft runs the newsgroups, MVPs are not Microsoft
employees, but volunteers. The title "MVP" is honorary, and MVPs
get awarded the title by providing regular helpful advice, here
in the newsgroups and elsewhere.

Read more here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:01:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Ken Blake wrote:
>> P.S. - I am curious as to the usage of "MS-MVP". Does Microsoft
>> officially run the Microsoft.public newsgroups, and are you a
>> Microsoft employee assigned to the newsgroup(s), or ??
>
> Although Microsoft runs the newsgroups, MVPs are not Microsoft
> employees, but volunteers. The title "MVP" is honorary, and MVPs
> get awarded the title by providing regular helpful advice, here
> in the newsgroups and elsewhere.
>
> Read more here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx

It might be more appropriate to say Microsoft hosts these newsgroups.

While some Microsoft representatives often frequent and post to these
newsgroups, Microsoft does not officially monitor them.
--
~PA Bear
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:01:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:o CB6DJ0eFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>>> P.S. - I am curious as to the usage of "MS-MVP". Does
>>> Microsoft
>>> officially run the Microsoft.public newsgroups, and are you
>>> a
>>> Microsoft employee assigned to the newsgroup(s), or ??
>>
>> Although Microsoft runs the newsgroups, MVPs are not Microsoft
>> employees, but volunteers. The title "MVP" is honorary, and
>> MVPs
>> get awarded the title by providing regular helpful advice,
>> here
>> in the newsgroups and elsewhere.
>>
>> Read more here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
>
> It might be more appropriate to say Microsoft hosts these
> newsgroups.


That's what I meant, of course, but your terminology is better
than mine. Thanks.


> While some Microsoft representatives often frequent and post to
> these
> newsgroups, Microsoft does not officially monitor them.


Correct, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Sorry if my
message gave the opposite idea.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
!