VX4500 available memory

I think I have read somewhere about a question on how to view the available
memory in a VX4500.

I found it: Press the Get_It_Now key (the right side of the navigator
button) or press Menu -> 4 Get It Now, then press OK, then select Settings,
then select Manage Apps. In my VX4500, this gives a display with "System
Info" on the top of a blank white screen and "2.37MB available" in a box at
the bottom.

Note that I don't use Get_It_Now. To me, this is one of VZW's money tree.
2 answers Last reply
More about vx4500 memory

    C C wrote:

    > I think I have read somewhere about a question on how to view the available
    > memory in a VX4500.
    >
    > I found it: Press the Get_It_Now key (the right side of the navigator
    > button) or press Menu -> 4 Get It Now, then press OK, then select Settings,
    > then select Manage Apps. In my VX4500, this gives a display with "System
    > Info" on the top of a blank white screen and "2.37MB available" in a box at
    > the bottom.
    >
    > Note that I don't use Get_It_Now. To me, this is one of VZW's money tree.

    One of the developers of BitPim posted on this or another forum a while
    back saying that they have not been able to determine the exact memory
    capacity of the LG-VX4500 at a given point in time. He said
    specifically that the available memory reported in the Get-It-Now
    settings is not necessarily an accurate indication.

    He pointed out that available memory is shared between several uses,
    such as voice memos, voice scheduler, contacts, wallpapers, ringtones,
    Get-It-Now apps, and other media. He concluded that he and his fellow
    developers had not been able to determine the real available memory of
    the 4500 at any given point.

    Another poster reported that he had been able to upload 4mb of ringtones
    before he got some kind of out-of-memory error. Of course, we don't
    know what other memory uses he had at the time he did that. For
    example, did he have a lot of extra wallpapers or none? Was he using
    the voice scheduler or not? Did he have any Get-It-Now applications
    installed?

    For now, it seems we just don't know. What we have seen, however, is
    that some folks with 4500s and 6000s have said they locked their phones
    by overloading them with ringtones and have had to send them in for
    replacement.

    No Reply wrote:
    > One of the developers of BitPim posted on this or another forum a while

    That would be me.

    > back saying that they have not been able to determine the exact memory
    > capacity of the LG-VX4500 at a given point in time. He said
    > specifically that the available memory reported in the Get-It-Now
    > settings is not necessarily an accurate indication.

    Correct. It is trivial to find out the total memory size of the
    embedded filesystem. Turn on protocol logging in BitPim and do
    any action with the phone. Then press Ctrl-Alt-P in the protocol
    tab and look for a class of memoryconfigresponse (it will be near
    the begining). Expand in the middle pane.

    The VX6000 gives a value of 6058144 and my VX4400 gives a value of
    1307952.

    The problem is trying to work out the amount of free memory. If I sum
    all the file sizes on my 4400, it adds up to 1.9MB. Obviously some of
    the files appear in the EFS but are actually stored elsewhere.

    I have no idea where the GIN free memory amount comes from. On the
    VX6000 I think they just allocate 1MB as an arbitrary amount.

    Roger

Verizon Memory Internet Service Providers