VX4500 available memory

Last response: in Network Providers
a b } Memory
July 5, 2004 9:00:38 AM

I think I have read somewhere about a question on how to view the available
memory in a VX4500.

I found it: Press the Get_It_Now key (the right side of the navigator
button) or press Menu -> 4 Get It Now, then press OK, then select Settings,
then select Manage Apps. In my VX4500, this gives a display with "System
Info" on the top of a blank white screen and "2.37MB available" in a box at
the bottom.

Note that I don't use Get_It_Now. To me, this is one of VZW's money tree.

More about : vx4500 memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 5, 2004 5:35:45 PM

C C wrote:

> I think I have read somewhere about a question on how to view the available
> memory in a VX4500.
>
> I found it: Press the Get_It_Now key (the right side of the navigator
> button) or press Menu -> 4 Get It Now, then press OK, then select Settings,
> then select Manage Apps. In my VX4500, this gives a display with "System
> Info" on the top of a blank white screen and "2.37MB available" in a box at
> the bottom.
>
> Note that I don't use Get_It_Now. To me, this is one of VZW's money tree.

One of the developers of BitPim posted on this or another forum a while
back saying that they have not been able to determine the exact memory
capacity of the LG-VX4500 at a given point in time. He said
specifically that the available memory reported in the Get-It-Now
settings is not necessarily an accurate indication.

He pointed out that available memory is shared between several uses,
such as voice memos, voice scheduler, contacts, wallpapers, ringtones,
Get-It-Now apps, and other media. He concluded that he and his fellow
developers had not been able to determine the real available memory of
the 4500 at any given point.

Another poster reported that he had been able to upload 4mb of ringtones
before he got some kind of out-of-memory error. Of course, we don't
know what other memory uses he had at the time he did that. For
example, did he have a lot of extra wallpapers or none? Was he using
the voice scheduler or not? Did he have any Get-It-Now applications
installed?

For now, it seems we just don't know. What we have seen, however, is
that some folks with 4500s and 6000s have said they locked their phones
by overloading them with ringtones and have had to send them in for
replacement.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 5, 2004 5:35:46 PM

No Reply wrote:
> One of the developers of BitPim posted on this or another forum a while

That would be me.

> back saying that they have not been able to determine the exact memory
> capacity of the LG-VX4500 at a given point in time. He said
> specifically that the available memory reported in the Get-It-Now
> settings is not necessarily an accurate indication.

Correct. It is trivial to find out the total memory size of the
embedded filesystem. Turn on protocol logging in BitPim and do
any action with the phone. Then press Ctrl-Alt-P in the protocol
tab and look for a class of memoryconfigresponse (it will be near
the begining). Expand in the middle pane.

The VX6000 gives a value of 6058144 and my VX4400 gives a value of
1307952.

The problem is trying to work out the amount of free memory. If I sum
all the file sizes on my 4400, it adds up to 1.9MB. Obviously some of
the files appear in the EFS but are actually stored elsewhere.

I have no idea where the GIN free memory amount comes from. On the
VX6000 I think they just allocate 1MB as an arbitrary amount.

Roger
!