Installing Windows 7

srogers6

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I am attempting to install Windows 7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754 on a computer that already has XP on it, when i turn on the computer it loads normally.. I thought it was supposed to take you to another screen. I'm assuming I am doing something wrong. When i try to open it from the cd a error message
'This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced).'

Thanks

Are you attempting to set up a dual boot Windows XP/Windows 7 system or are you attempting to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7?

I hope you realize that you cannot upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 64-bit. You have to do a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit (i.e. a new copy of Windows) and reinstall your applications.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
According to what I have read there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7. You have to do a clean install. It will also depend on what version of XP to what version of Win 7 you are trying to install. For instance I doubt that XP Home will allow an upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate. Backup all your data then do a clean install. You can upgrade from XP to Win 7 at a license level in some cases but there is no built in process for this to take place.

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi srogers6,

What edition of XP are you running and what edition of Windows 7 are you trying to install? Also, are you trying to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, or from 64-bit to 32-bit? Since you are currently running Windows XP, it is a good idea to run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor before upgrading. It will scan your computer and let you know if you need to make any changes to your system before upgrading to Windows 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

As others here have said, you can not do an in-place upgrade from XP to Windows 7, but you should be able to do a custom installation from an Upgrade disk.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach