Installing Windows 7

I am attempting to install Windows 7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754 on a computer that already has XP on it, when i turn on the computer it loads normally.. I thought it was supposed to take you to another screen. I'm assuming I am doing something wrong. When i try to open it from the cd a error message
'This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced).'

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about installing windows
  1. Have you tried to boot from the CD/DVD drive?

Turn computer on -> Go into BIOS -> Change boot order to boot from CD/DVD 1st
  2. Are you attempting to set up a dual boot Windows XP/Windows 7 system or are you attempting to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7?

I hope you realize that you cannot upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 64-bit. You have to do a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit (i.e. a new copy of Windows) and reinstall your applications.
  3. According to what I have read there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7. You have to do a clean install. It will also depend on what version of XP to what version of Win 7 you are trying to install. For instance I doubt that XP Home will allow an upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate. Backup all your data then do a clean install. You can upgrade from XP to Win 7 at a license level in some cases but there is no built in process for this to take place.
  4. Hi srogers6,

What edition of XP are you running and what edition of Windows 7 are you trying to install? Also, are you trying to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, or from 64-bit to 32-bit? Since you are currently running Windows XP, it is a good idea to run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor before upgrading. It will scan your computer and let you know if you need to make any changes to your system before upgrading to Windows 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

As others here have said, you can not do an in-place upgrade from XP to Windows 7, but you should be able to do a custom installation from an Upgrade disk.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
    Cassandra
    Microsoft Windows Outreach
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Computers Product