cant delete a movie file off of my computer

angie

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

I downloaded a movie file and then moved it from my file that could be
shared and put it in my documents. I then tried to play it with windows
media player and it did'nt work. So, I decided to just delete it but I keep
getting this errror message: CANNOT DELETE THIS FILE IT IS BEING USED BY
ANOTHER PERSON OR PROGRAM. CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT MIGHT BE USING THE FILE
AND TRY AGAIN. I dont have any other programs that are using this file. I
deleted the file sharing program the file came from b/c it had adware.
thanks, angie

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I ran across a shell extension program that allows you to highlight a file
to be deleted during the next reboot - this might be what you need. Do a
Google search on RemoveOnReboot

"angie" <angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded a movie file and then moved it from my file that could be
> shared and put it in my documents. I then tried to play it with windows
> media player and it did'nt work. So, I decided to just delete it but I
> keep
> getting this errror message: CANNOT DELETE THIS FILE IT IS BEING USED BY
> ANOTHER PERSON OR PROGRAM. CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT MIGHT BE USING THE
> FILE
> AND TRY AGAIN. I dont have any other programs that are using this file.
> deleted the file sharing program the file came from b/c it had adware.
> thanks, angie

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:35:02 -0700, "angie"
<angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I downloaded a movie file and then moved it from my file that could be
>shared and put it in my documents. I then tried to play it with windows
>media player and it did'nt work. So, I decided to just delete it but I keep
>getting this errror message: CANNOT DELETE THIS FILE IT IS BEING USED BY
>ANOTHER PERSON OR PROGRAM. CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT MIGHT BE USING THE FILE
>AND TRY AGAIN. I dont have any other programs that are using this file. I
>deleted the file sharing program the file came from b/c it had adware.
>thanks, angie
Angie
Close all open programs.
Open a command prompt. (run, cmd)
Right-click the taskbar, and select Task Manager.
On the Processes tab, select Explorer.exe, and click the End Process
button.
Minimize Task Manager, but don't close it.
At the command prompt, use the Delete command to remove the file, and
close the command prompt. (del c:\whatever\file.mpg or avi)
In Task Manager, go to File | New Task (Run).
In the Create New Task dialog box, enter Explorer.exe, and click OK.
Close Task Manager.
HTH
Mike H
remove -bats- to reply

angie

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

I am pretty dumb when it comes to operating computers so, how do i open a
command prompt? Sorry to bother you.
--
thanks, angie

"Mike Hyndman" wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:35:02 -0700, "angie"
> <angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I downloaded a movie file and then moved it from my file that could be
> >shared and put it in my documents. I then tried to play it with windows
> >media player and it did'nt work. So, I decided to just delete it but I keep
> >getting this errror message: CANNOT DELETE THIS FILE IT IS BEING USED BY
> >ANOTHER PERSON OR PROGRAM. CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT MIGHT BE USING THE FILE
> >AND TRY AGAIN. I dont have any other programs that are using this file. I
> >deleted the file sharing program the file came from b/c it had adware.
> >thanks, angie
> Angie
> Close all open programs.
> Open a command prompt. (run, cmd)
> Right-click the taskbar, and select Task Manager.
> On the Processes tab, select Explorer.exe, and click the End Process
> button.
> Minimize Task Manager, but don't close it.
> At the command prompt, use the Delete command to remove the file, and
> close the command prompt. (del c:\whatever\file.mpg or avi)
> In Task Manager, go to File | New Task (Run).
> In the Create New Task dialog box, enter Explorer.exe, and click OK.
> Close Task Manager.
> HTH
> Mike H
> remove -bats- to reply

Start - run . Type cmd then press OK

"angie" wrote:

> I am pretty dumb when it comes to operating computers so, how do i open a
> command prompt? Sorry to bother you.
> --
> thanks, angie
>

> "Mike Hyndman" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:35:02 -0700, "angie"
> > <angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I downloaded a movie file and then moved it from my file that could be
> > >shared and put it in my documents. I then tried to play it with windows
> > >media player and it did'nt work. So, I decided to just delete it but I keep
> > >getting this errror message: CANNOT DELETE THIS FILE IT IS BEING USED BY
> > >ANOTHER PERSON OR PROGRAM. CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT MIGHT BE USING THE FILE
> > >AND TRY AGAIN. I dont have any other programs that are using this file. I
> > >deleted the file sharing program the file came from b/c it had adware.
> > >thanks, angie
> > Angie
> > Close all open programs.
> > Open a command prompt. (run, cmd)
> > Right-click the taskbar, and select Task Manager.
> > On the Processes tab, select Explorer.exe, and click the End Process
> > button.
> > Minimize Task Manager, but don't close it.
> > At the command prompt, use the Delete command to remove the file, and
> > close the command prompt. (del c:\whatever\file.mpg or avi)
> > In Task Manager, go to File | New Task (Run).
> > In the Create New Task dialog box, enter Explorer.exe, and click OK.
> > Close Task Manager.
> > HTH
> > Mike H
> > remove -bats- to reply

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:28:01 -0700, "angie"
<angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am pretty dumb when it comes to operating computers so, how do i open a
>command prompt? Sorry to bother you.
Angie,

If that's the case you could have problems "navigating" from the command
prompt to the file to be deleted.
Do you know how to make a new folder in Windows explorer?
Can the file be moved?
If so, right click on the start button and select explore
in the "tree" on the right hand side, find the folder that ends in (C:)
This is your root directory/folder.
Select this folder and then select File\New\folder. Give this folder a
simple, short name, one, for example.
Then drag your file into this folder.
Then after starting the command prompt you will see a black box, with
something like C:\documents and settings\ somename or other> and a
"blinking" white underscore.
At this point you would type , without quotes "del C:\one\*.*"
followed by hitting the return key.
The asterisks are"wildcards" that means that anything in that folder
will be deleted and as there should only be one file in there anyway
this wont be a problem. They just save you having to type :
del c:\one\filename.avi or whatever.
After the file has been deleted follow the instructions on my earlier
post.
HTH
Mike H
remove -bats- to reply

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:28:01 -0700, "angie"
<angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am pretty dumb when it comes to operating computers so, how do i open a
>command prompt? Sorry to bother you.
Angie,

Please ignore the first one of these! I can't tell my right from my
left! Heavy night last night ;-)

If that's the case you could have problems "navigating" from the command
prompt to the file to be deleted.
Do you know how to make a new folder in Windows explorer?
Can the file be moved?
If so, right click on the start button and select explore
in the "tree" on the LEFT hand side, find the folder that ends in (C:)
This is your root directory/folder.
Select this folder and then select File\New\folder. Give this folder a
simple, short name, trash, for example.
Then drag your file into this folder.
Then after starting the command prompt you will see a black box, with
something like C:\documents and settings\ somename or other> and a
"blinking" white underscore.
At this point you would type , without quotes "del C:\trash\*.*"
followed by hitting the return key.
The asterisks are"wildcards" that means that anything in that folder
will be deleted and as there should only be one file in there anyway
this wont be a problem. They just save you having to type :
del c:\one\filename.avi or whatever.
After the file has been deleted follow the instructions on my earlier
post.
HTH
Mike H
remove -bats- to reply

How about this

Type cmd in Start Run
Type in the command prompt
del
followed by a space, don't press enter yet.
Drag the file from Explorer to the command prompt window.

Click Start then Shutdown, hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift and click Cancel or Close (depends if a domain or not which it will say).

Press Enter in the command prompt.

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, then File - New Task (Run)..., and enter explorer and press Enter.