Sign in with
Your question

Soyo Dragon KT400 Video Problems

Last response: in Motherboards
July 28, 2003 1:24:06 AM

I purchased a Soyo Dragon KT400 Ultra Platinum MB a few months ago new off of eBay. I just now was able to buy the final components to finish my system and am experienceing video problems on the POST, bootup, and BIOS screens. I haven't even started installing Windows so this is purely an issue between the MB and AGP card...

I have tried the following 4 cards in it:
1) ATI Radeon 9200 (AGP 8x)
2) A second Radeon 9200
3) Visiontek Radeon 9600 Pro (AGP 8x)
4) Old GeForce 2 from existing machine (AGP 4x)

Cards 1-3 all had the same problem. I don't really know how to describe it other than calling it "garbled" output. The text during POST and BIOS It looks like the right side of the screen is superimposed over the left side of the screen. Everything displayed on the screen is about twice as large as it should be.

With card #4, everything operated perfectly but that does me no good since I want get the system running with card #3. I've tried dinking around with lots of settings in the BIOS with no success. I'm very close to a) resiging myself to using an AGP 4x card or b) just writing this board off as a failure. Any ideas?
July 28, 2003 2:29:27 AM

did you try to update the BIOS with a newer version? Maybe this is why the other guy sold it at e-bay!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
July 28, 2003 2:40:40 AM

i would clear your bios...update it as stated...also i beleive on most boards there is a setting (in the bios) that selects the default graphics adapter...set that to VGA...also make sure that none of the pins in the monitors connector (vga connector) are bent.

Make sure you dissabe video bios shadowing if you have that option too...

Are you buy any chance running an lcd monitor?

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: 
Related resources
July 28, 2003 2:45:00 AM

It was NEW off of eBay. I received it shrinkwrapped & everything - wouldn't have done it otherwise...

The graphics adapter is on VGA, the pins in the connector must be ok because it worked with the old card, I will check the shadowing, and no LCD for me...

Keep posting ideas...
Thanks!
July 28, 2003 2:54:34 AM

i just relised that the oldest card is the one that works...i am starting to think of possibly the power supply being the issue since the geforce 2 is probably the lowest draw out of all the cards.

July 28, 2003 1:30:05 PM

I'll check my PS, but I'm pretty sure it's 350W which should be plenty... (unless having two HD's is sucking up more power than I think???)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2003 3:31:40 PM

If you PSU is of good quality, 350 should be plenty(I have a 2.6c with 3 hd and a Fx5900 running on a 380). DId you flash your motherboard bios as mentionned?Have you tried to use AGP4x instead of 8X for your new card?Other then that maybe it is a faulty card.
July 28, 2003 5:53:54 PM

Haven't flashed the BIOS because of the possibility of an unsucessful flash. However, since my only option appears to be RMA/warranty then I will try flashing first...

I can't find a way to tell my card to run at 4x. From what I can tell, my MB recognizes it as an AGP 3.0 compliant card so I'm not given the option to crank it back to 4x. There's one jumper on the card that could possibly be for running at 4x, but there is no documentation with the card to tell what that jumper does...

It's not a faulty card because I've tried two ATI 9200 cards and one Visiontek 9600 card...
July 28, 2003 9:59:40 PM

not a faulty card

what is the brand of powersupply

flash the bios

July 28, 2003 10:23:16 PM

Not sure of the PS brand - I'll check on it when I get home... Is there a particular brand that's no good?

Assuming my PS is of decent capacity, I'm going to flash the BIOS and hope for the best...

I'm not expecting it to help though. My guess is that something in the AGP controller chugs up when it attempts to run AGP 3.0...
July 28, 2003 11:01:19 PM

if it is not a name brand then it is probably a bad powersupply...

October 20, 2012 12:37:12 AM

EndBoards said:
I purchased a Soyo Dragon KT400 Ultra Platinum MB a few months ago new off of eBay. I just now was able to buy the final components to finish my system and am experienceing video problems on the POST, bootup, and BIOS screens. I haven't even started installing Windows so this is purely an issue between the MB and AGP card...

I have tried the following 4 cards in it:
1) ATI Radeon 9200 (AGP 8x)
2) A second Radeon 9200
3) Visiontek Radeon 9600 Pro (AGP 8x)
4) Old GeForce 2 from existing machine (AGP 4x)

Cards 1-3 all had the same problem. I don't really know how to describe it other than calling it "garbled" output. The text during POST and BIOS It looks like the right side of the screen is superimposed over the left side of the screen. Everything displayed on the screen is about twice as large as it should be.

With card #4, everything operated perfectly but that does me no good since I want get the system running with card #3. I've tried dinking around with lots of settings in the BIOS with no success. I'm very close to a) resiging myself to using an AGP 4x card or b) just writing this board off as a failure. Any ideas?

ATI radeon video cards are running at 3.3 voltage.
Soyo MB's require 1.5 voltage video cards installed in the video card slot. It's noted on the first page of the Soyo MB install manual.
Geforce card is running at 1.5 voltage.

How to tell what voltage video card is ? a 1.5 volt cards will have three slots on bottom of card. a 3.3 volt card has only 2 slots on bottom of video card.

you can get up to a 512MB 8x AGP video card which geforce and others make and card should run fine.

hope this helps with your video problem.
!