P4P800 deluxe restart problems

captainY

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
Hi, I recently put together a machine with P4P800 deluxe board, P4 2.8 ghz processor, 2x256 Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/512 PC3200 DDR ram, Geforce 2 MX400, WD 80 gig 7200 RPM master drive, and all on a 400 watt Antec power supply. Ever since I put it together, Win XP pro has been restarting quite a bit, as much as 3 times in 10 minutes, and as few as once a day. Most of the time, it involves an IE error. I would be browsing the web, and suddenly I would get an error message saying explorer has to close, and sometime (a few minutes) afterwards the computer would restart. I have also experienced application errors with AIM, and My Pictures screen saver. I have a strong belief that it is memory/mboard related since when I run a single module it is perfectly fine. I have tried manually adjusting the memory timings in the bios, only to no avail. I have also run memtest86 at least 10 times, each time for at least 3 hours, and only once did it come out with errors, and that was on test 5 and 8 while running in dual channel mode. The other times I was running dual channel I received no errors, but the computer still restarted. So far the only thing that works is one DIMM at a time, which causes me no problems. I would like to know if this a ram or a motherboard problem, and if anyone has any suggestions for me I would appreciate it very much.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I think asus or intel one has a serious problem on their hands. I think i am running a little more stable ram then you, but i am getting very odd responces from XP pro as well. Are you able to use Windows Update at all? Truely I think its a chipset/ram problem as i have meet 5 and 6 people with the same problems. There maybe more truth in the list of memory modules they say are stable. There have been numerous bios updates on a board that has been publicly available for a very short time. I think this may be why Intel is trying to get mobo makers to quit turning PAT on the 865 chipset. Everything for me works except windows update, i get exceptional benchmark's but i am scared that i will have more problems later. Take a look at how man p4p800 xxx problems are on here.