Installing sp2 on a test computer

pat

Expert
Ok...after reading about problems with sp2, I decided to wait to install sp2 on my perfectly running machine. But, I'd like to test it a bit before so I just setup a test machine with some spare parts I had here. but I need a cheap cpu and a video card in order to have it running so I wonder, since it will be for testing, meaning that I may have to reinstall the os some time that, if I decide to go with the corp. version with a new key generated, will I have problems to install it or it will install as SP1 did on my friend computer? Will I have problems calling ms for activation, if corp. does not work, to install my legal copy on my test computer, and then, having to recall ms to activate my good working computer if something went wrong during the sp2 update and end up to reinstall my legal to my good computer while still having another copy installed on my test computer? Then what will happen if I try to update both computer withonly a licence for one? But....most important, should I just let the other do the testing instead of spending near 100$ buck for parts, spending some time to debug/reinstall/test sp2? Sure it could be a good experience to learn sp2, but ...

Thanks!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Well, I was hesitant to install the SP2 myself, but I never was afraid to walk on the wild side before, so I did just to see what was what for myself. Before I did I made a <A HREF="http://www.softlandmark.com/PowerQuestDriveImage.htm" target="_new">drive image </A> and was ready for anything. If you don’t have that you can try making a Restore point first. My friend said she uninstalled it and I think threw the control panel. I don’t know how well these will work, so I relied on my drive image. Ok, I’ll entertain these questions. It’s always nice to have spare parts for testing, but I think it’s a little much just to test the SP2. Beside maybe the results would be different on two separate PC’s. Hmm, will the SP2 have any problem on a corp version of XP, don’t know, go check and let us know, lol. My guess would be not. Don’t know about calling MS, again let us know, hehe. I think if you put XP on the test system you might be able to call and ask, they may ask why. I told them, because XP wasn’t compatible with my computer and wanted to put it on my other and had no trouble and it was the truth. Again should be able to reinstall on your good PC, just have a good excuse. If they say no, have a fit and hang up, call back latter, maybe you’ll get someone else. Just keep your doors locked, because they’ll be coming to get you. **** You sound like you want to learn, so don’t be afraid and let her rip, the SP2 that is. I doubt if things will go that wrong, if at all.

pat

Expert
I'm not that affraid, but I need to have a computer up and running for the next 7 days for online research and some shopping and I dont want to mess with it now. Having a spare computer might be a better solution and I might keep it as a spare even after the test..I know that what might work with one might not work with the other, but it is easier to do some research about a problem with a running computer than a dead one... I usualy do some computer repair and troubleshoot and that why I'd like to know a little bit about SP2 before it get public and everybody that know that I know a bit about computer start to call me for help...

I might just borrow my friend's CPU and video card for the test since those can be changed later without having to reinstall. I'll let you know...

pat

Expert
I sucessfully installed WinXP on my test computer. I did a slipstream of SP2 with my copy of XPpro Corp., then installed the test computer HDD in my good computer. I still wonder why I didn't think about that yesterday and try to install it on my good computer. Everything is working good so far.

Now, my next experimentation will be to put my RAID drivers imside the WinXP cd to check if it can be done. Instead of always having to put the floppy and pres F6 ...

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Good ideal and glad to hear it’s working out ok for you. See it wasn’t that bad. I get a few pop ups from time to time, nothing real annoying so far or too much trouble. I like the secure features, they give me that warm and cozy feeling inside, knowing only MS is hacking into my computer, lol.

pat

Expert
I just switched back to my primary HDD for my "no sp2" Windows. I just got a problem. Dont know if it is SP2 fault or something I did wrong, but that is the first time I have something that fail on me like that...I will investigate that case later to see what happened.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
hey, I have an XP CORP with SP1 slipstream. Is it possible to make that into XP CORP with SP2 slipstream?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

pat

Expert
Yep, I just did it! My new board is on its way as my new processor. Then I'll have the opportunity to test the slipstream I just did. I'm going to install XP64 beta for testing it too, on my spare HDD, to get the grip on it before it'll be available.

pat

Expert
This is where I took my <A HREF="http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp" target="_new">slipstream </A>instructions. more can be found in this <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=46637#46637" target="_new"> thread</A>.