System Restore file name

Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is the file name
including the extension? I looked in the Restore folder & there were only a
few files. Can individual restore points be deleted from the Restore folder?
Thank you.
5 answers Last reply
More about system restore file name

    In news:B262B094-2867-44F2-8CA1-AFCCB1B7DC3B@microsoft.com,
    PC Nerd <PC Nerd@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is the
    > file name
    > including the extension? I looked in the Restore folder & there
    > were
    > only a few files. Can individual restore points be deleted from
    > the
    > Restore folder? Thank you.

    You can't delete individual restore points. Your only choices are
    all of them, all but the most recent, or none of them.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    One cannot delete or modify individual System Restore Points.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "PC Nerd" wrote:

    | Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is the file name
    | including the extension? I looked in the Restore folder & there were only a
    | few files. Can individual restore points be deleted from the Restore folder?
    | Thank you.

    Hi,

    No, individual restore points can not be deleted.

    Some of the oldest restore points can be removed by adjusting the
    amount of disk space System Restore uses to store restore points.
    How to Adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspace.html

    Here are some tips on keeping System Restore Healthy.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    PC Nerd wrote:
    > Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is
    > the file name including the extension? I looked in the
    > Restore folder & there were only a few files. Can
    > individual restore points be deleted from the Restore
    > folder? Thank you.

    WARNING: Information found in this section is for advanced users only.
    If you use this information without advanced knowledge of your
    operating system you can cause serious damage to your Windows
    installation.

    'delete individual restore points '
    (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html#delete)

    Your mileage may vary!
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Hi Treeman,

    The "Advanced Info" section of the article will not work.

    This is my reply to Beepingcomputers.

    In reference to the “Advanced Info” section in this article.
    XP System Restore Guide
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html#delete

    Individual restore points should not be removed. Here why. Each
    restore points is chained (or linked) together with previous restore
    points. When you choose to restore a system all the previous restore
    point are required to complete the restore, thus if one is missing the
    chain will be broken and cause all existing restore points become
    corrupt. At this point all restore points will need to purged to
    correct the corruption. So the best advise is to *not* touch the
    contents of the System Volume Information folder.

    For more information on System Restore, take a look here.
    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://bertk.mvps.org/

    --

    Treeman wrote:
    > WARNING: Information found in this section is for
    > advanced users only. If you use this information without
    > advanced knowledge of your operating system you can cause
    > serious damage to your Windows installation.
    >
    > 'delete individual restore points '
    > (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html#delete)
    >
    > Your mileage may vary!
    > Treeman

File Name Microsoft System Restore Windows XP