System Restore file name

June 22, 2005 9:40:03 PM

Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is the file name
including the extension? I looked in the Restore folder & there were only a
few files. Can individual restore points be deleted from the Restore folder?
Thank you.

More about : system restore file

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:14:05 PM

In news:B262B094-2867-44F2-8CA1-AFCCB1B7DC3B@microsoft.com,
PC Nerd <PC Nerd@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is the
> file name
> including the extension? I looked in the Restore folder & there
> were
> only a few files. Can individual restore points be deleted from
> the
> Restore folder? Thank you.

You can't delete individual restore points. Your only choices are
all of them, all but the most recent, or none of them.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:35:27 AM

One cannot delete or modify individual System Restore Points.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"PC Nerd" wrote:

| Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is the file name
| including the extension? I looked in the Restore folder & there were only a
| few files. Can individual restore points be deleted from the Restore folder?
| Thank you.
June 23, 2005 2:08:25 AM

Hi,

No, individual restore points can not be deleted.

Some of the oldest restore points can be removed by adjusting the
amount of disk space System Restore uses to store restore points.
How to Adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspace.html

Here are some tips on keeping System Restore Healthy.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

PC Nerd wrote:
> Does each System Restore point have a file name? What is
> the file name including the extension? I looked in the
> Restore folder & there were only a few files. Can
> individual restore points be deleted from the Restore
> folder? Thank you.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:52:13 PM

WARNING: Information found in this section is for advanced users only.
If you use this information without advanced knowledge of your
operating system you can cause serious damage to your Windows
installation.

'delete individual restore points '
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html#...)

Your mileage may vary!
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 24, 2005 5:40:43 PM

Hi Treeman,

The "Advanced Info" section of the article will not work.

This is my reply to Beepingcomputers.

In reference to the “Advanced Info” section in this article.
XP System Restore Guide
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html#...

Individual restore points should not be removed. Here why. Each
restore points is chained (or linked) together with previous restore
points. When you choose to restore a system all the previous restore
point are required to complete the restore, thus if one is missing the
chain will be broken and cause all existing restore points become
corrupt. At this point all restore points will need to purged to
correct the corruption. So the best advise is to *not* touch the
contents of the System Volume Information folder.

For more information on System Restore, take a look here.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/

--

!