martin

I dont seem to have microsoft word. Im running xp home edition, this is
stopping me from scanning properly. I understand that i need office to do
this. there is site called openoffice.org , but are not sure on whatto
download from it. Can someone help me with this please.

In news:C5F45C06-0056-407B-A4C6-04AEC58ADA29@microsoft.com,
martin <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I dont seem to have microsoft word. Im running xp home edition,

Neither Windows XP, nor any other version of Windows, has ever
included Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, or any other
significant application software. Such programs have to be
bought, either by themselves or as part of Microsoft Office.

If your previous computer, running an older version of Windows,
came with Word (or Office), it was because the vendor who sold it
bundled it as part of the package he sold you, not because that
version of Windows came with it. Some, but not all, vendors do
the same with Windows XP.

> this is stopping me from scanning properly.

Are you talking about scanning text, using optical character
recognition software on it, and then opening it in a word
processor? If so, you don't need Word for that. Any word
processor will work.

> I understand that i need
> office to do this.

No, you don't. *If* you want Microsoft Word, although you can buy
it as part of Microsoft Office, you can also buy it standalone,
or, most cheaply, as part of Microsoft Works *Suite* (not the
regular Works). Buy Microsoft Office only if you need or want the
full package of applications it contains.

> there is site called openoffice.org , but are not
> sure on whatto download from it. Can someone help me with this
> please.

OpenOffice is one of the competitors to Microsoft Office. It
includes a word processing program that's somewhat similar to
Word, but it is *not* Word. Other competitors include StarOffice
and WordPerfect Office (my personal favorite).

Please reply to the newsgroup

martin <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I dont seem to have microsoft word. Im running xp home edition, this is
>stopping me from scanning properly. I understand that i need office to do
>this. there is site called openoffice.org , but are not sure on whatto
>download from it. Can someone help me with this please.

Click the "Download the stable version" and follow the instructions.
BTW: "Word" is not part of Open Office, but Microsoft Office which is
sold in your local software store.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

martin

thanks for the info. can you tellme befor i down load it does it have a
programme simialar to word, as i need it for scanning from my all in one hp
printer scanner etc. thanks for your help.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> martin <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I dont seem to have microsoft word. Im running xp home edition, this is
> >stopping me from scanning properly. I understand that i need office to do
> >this. there is site called openoffice.org , but are not sure on whatto
> >download from it. Can someone help me with this please.
>
> Click the "Download the stable version" and follow the instructions.
> BTW: "Word" is not part of Open Office, but Microsoft Office which is
> sold in your local software store.
>
> --
> (tm)
> ICQ: 192649233

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 04:41:04 -0700, martin
<martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thanks for the info. can you tellme befor i down load it does it have a
>programme simialar to word, as i need it for scanning from my all in one hp
>printer scanner etc. thanks for your help.

If your scanner's output is set to Word format, you can open these scans
in Wordpad (for free) go to, Start\programs\accessories\wordpad
Mike H
remove -bats- to reply

martin

Thanks Ken and Mike, the problemis I only have works word proccessor and the
scaner does not reconise it. wordpad is no god as it wont keep the same
format and triples the size. when you decrease the size, it is to small.
Thats why i'm wondering if openoffice is the same as ms word and has the same
things such as word. Yes it is text documents that ihave te problem with.
Thanks for all your help.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:C5F45C06-0056-407B-A4C6-04AEC58ADA29@microsoft.com,
> martin <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I dont seem to have microsoft word. Im running xp home edition,
>
> Neither Windows XP, nor any other version of Windows, has ever
> included Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, or any other
> significant application software. Such programs have to be
> bought, either by themselves or as part of Microsoft Office.
>
> If your previous computer, running an older version of Windows,
> came with Word (or Office), it was because the vendor who sold it
> bundled it as part of the package he sold you, not because that
> version of Windows came with it. Some, but not all, vendors do
> the same with Windows XP.
>

> > this is stopping me from scanning properly.
>

> Are you talking about scanning text, using optical character
> recognition software on it, and then opening it in a word
> processor? If so, you don't need Word for that. Any word
> processor will work.
>

> > I understand that i need
> > office to do this.
>

> No, you don't. *If* you want Microsoft Word, although you can buy
> it as part of Microsoft Office, you can also buy it standalone,
> or, most cheaply, as part of Microsoft Works *Suite* (not the
> regular Works). Buy Microsoft Office only if you need or want the
> full package of applications it contains.
>

> > there is site called openoffice.org , but are not
> > sure on whatto download from it. Can someone help me with this
> > please.
>

> OpenOffice is one of the competitors to Microsoft Office. It
> includes a word processing program that's somewhat similar to
> Word, but it is *not* Word. Other competitors include StarOffice
> and WordPerfect Office (my personal favorite).

> Please reply to the newsgroup

martin <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thanks for the info. can you tellme befor i down load it does it have a
>programme simialar to word, as i need it for scanning from my all in one hp
>printer scanner etc. thanks for your help.

Yes, it does.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

martin

thank you everyone for the help. I will let you know how things get on Cheers
martin

"martin" <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I dont seem to have microsoft word. Im running xp home edition, this is
> stopping me from scanning properly. I understand that i need office to do
> this. there is site called openoffice.org , but are not sure on whatto
> download from it. Can someone help me with this please.

Do a Google search for Easy Office. It has a freeware version of a word
processor that is compatible with Microsoft Word. Your scanner should
recognize those files.

martin

Thank you everyone for helping.