Botched BIOS update

NoviceAtor

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2003
I think I may have inadvertently hit a key during a Flash-Bios update on my daughters new Alienware Area 51 w/Intel D850EMV2 MB. Now when I try to boot, all I get is the SETUP initiation screen that includes the processor and memory info. It won't enter SETUP and won't boot from the Windows XP disk. Is there any possible way to recover from this without buying a new MB? I downloaded from Intel's site BTW.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
try to clear the bios...unplug the computer from the wall...open up the case and look for a battery mounted on the motherboard...remove the battery and put it in upside-down leave it there for about 10 seconds...then put it back in the right way...plug the computer back into the wall...and fire it up this hopefully will work...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

NoviceAtor

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2003
Thanks,pIII_Man! It worked like a charm. Pphew! Nice trick.
I thought it was a goner. I had to reset the system time before it would actually reboot, though.
I picked this baby up at Best Buy as an 'Open Box' for 8 'beans'!
P4 2.4 Northwood mated to the affore mentioned Intel MB
512MB PC-800 RDRAM
100Gb WD Spec.Ed.
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Audigy Gamer 5.1
Lite-On 16x/48x DVD Rom
Koolmaxx video cooling
Intel PRO/100 NIC
WINXP Pro
Black Dragon case
All Access. & Discs
WOW! Am I jealous.

My daughter does landscaping designs.
Perfect. (or waste)

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
hehe me too...i am still using a pIII as my username states...

Glad to hear you can play all the latest games *cough*cough* ehm...i mean i hope your daughter enjoys her computer

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll build you a 2.4B system with the same board and PC1066 RDRAM, in the same case (except for the custom faceplate), and the same parts, for 7 beans.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>