How to go back to windows xp from windows 7 trial

G

So I downloaded the Windows 7 trial and loved it, but unfortunately it ends in a week and I don't have the money to upgrade. When I downloaded it I chose the option to just transfer XP files to Win7 and when it was installed everything was the same (desktop, folders etc). So what will happen when my trial ends? Will it automatically revert back to XP or will it just lock me out of my computer? Is there a way I can revert back before then?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I have never gone through that process but I think it would be very unlikely that the result of an expired trial would be that XP would magically reappear. I suggest that you back up all your data so that you can reinstall XP from scratch. I suspect Win 7 will lock you out or run for a fixed length of time before shutting off.

G

Yeah, the only reason I mentioned it might revert back is the option I chose when I installed Win7. It backed everything up automatically so when the install was complete everything was basically normal, aside from the new features of Win7. But you're probably right. Now I just have to dig my XP disc out from somewhere...

Anyone else have any comments?

G

Couldn't disagree more. It's more than just a visual update, there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff in Win7. My laptop has never run this well before, my wireless actually works for once, and I haven't had a SINGLE crash or freeze in the past month since the trial started. Not one. And I use my laptop A LOT. Do agree with the demo being a trick to make you buy though.

Thanks for the help though everyone, guess I'll start looking for that disc.

G

Also, I think this IS what I did. Like I said, everything was pretty much the same as it was with XP, right down to my bookmarks in firefox. Could be wrong though. How do I know for sure/what will happen if I did? 7 just disappears and XP is back?

Also, I think this IS what I did. Like I said, everything was pretty much the same as it was with XP, right down to my bookmarks in firefox. Could be wrong though. How do I know for sure/what will happen if I did? 7 just disappears and XP is back?

If you had dual boot set up, you would have received a menu at boot time asking you which OS to start, XP or 7. If this does not happen, you probably won't be able to boot into XP after you remove 7.