Removal of redundant files

Gordon

Since moving to XP-Home from W-98 my system runs VERY slowly and I think that
it is due to a large number of redundant files ditting in my system....is
there any way to remove said files...safely?
Any pointers/help would be appreciated, thanks....Gordon

In news:1225C21E-2136-46F8-9738-48F4B05E9492@microsoft.com,
Gordon <Gordon@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Since moving to XP-Home from W-98 my system runs VERY slowly
> and I
> think that it is due to a large number of redundant files
> ditting in
> my system....is there any way to remove said files...safely?
> Any pointers/help would be appreciated, thanks....Gordon

How many files are on your drive, whether or not they are
redundant, has no effect on the speed of your system.

If your system was upgraded from Windows 98, and is several years
old, it may just be too underpowered to run XP at an acceptable
speed. XP does more than 98 and requires more power to do it. For
example, how much RAM do you have? How much memory you need
depends on what apps you run, but almost everyone running XP
needs at least 256MB for decent performance. For some people, for
example those who edit large photographic images, more than
256MB--even much more--can be required for good performance.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Redundant files" don't affect the speed of your computer.

By far, the two largest causes of slow performance are viruses and spyware,
and having too many programs running in the background.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Gordon" <Gordon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since moving to XP-Home from W-98 my system runs VERY slowly and I think
that
> it is due to a large number of redundant files ditting in my system....is
> there any way to remove said files...safely?
> Any pointers/help would be appreciated, thanks....Gordon

Gordon

Thank you Ted, I have learned something new...always a good thing!
I guess my old APTIVA is perhaps felling its age...like me.
Regards, Gordon

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> "Redundant files" don't affect the speed of your computer.
>
> By far, the two largest causes of slow performance are viruses and spyware,
> and having too many programs running in the background.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Gordon" <Gordon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since moving to XP-Home from W-98 my system runs VERY slowly and I think
> that
> > it is due to a large number of redundant files ditting in my system....is
> > there any way to remove said files...safely?
> > Any pointers/help would be appreciated, thanks....Gordon

Gordon

Thank you Ken, I have learned something new...always a good thing!
I guess my old APTIVA is perhaps felling its age...like me, I will look into
the RAM/Memory situation.
Regards, Gordon

In news:AE89BE61-1BA7-4DD6-B763-57385F149D99@microsoft.com,
Gordon <Gordon@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thank you Ken, I have learned something new...always a good
> thing!
> I guess my old APTIVA is perhaps felling its age...like me, I
> will
> look into the RAM/Memory situation.

You're welcome, Gordon. Glad to help.