Discarding old files after a parallel installation

To solve a Windows problem, I installed Windows XP to a new folder. This
is also known as a parallel installation. I now have XP installed in two
locations, in the WINXP folder as well as the Windows folder. I want to
keep the new WINXP installation and discard the old, problem-laden
Windows installation.

How do I get rid of the old installation? I would like to get rid of the
files in the Windows folder as well as most of the files in the Program
Files folder. Getting rid of files in the Program Files folder is
necessary because many of those programs won't work now when I boot to
the new installation so it's necessary to reinstall them. I have backed
up all my documents so I don't have to worry about those.

Does anyone know the correct procedure here?

As an alternative, I would be willing to perform a clean install of
Windows XP. Can this be done with just the Windows XP upgrade CD which I
have or would I need the full installation version?

Thank you.

Nick
8 answers Last reply
More about discarding files parallel installation

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:37:35 -0700, Nick Cellino wrote:

    > To solve a Windows problem, I installed Windows XP to a new folder. This
    > is also known as a parallel installation. I now have XP installed in two
    > locations, in the WINXP folder as well as the Windows folder. I want to
    > keep the new WINXP installation and discard the old, problem-laden
    > Windows installation.
    >
    > How do I get rid of the old installation? I would like to get rid of the
    > files in the Windows folder as well as most of the files in the Program
    > Files folder. Getting rid of files in the Program Files folder is
    > necessary because many of those programs won't work now when I boot to
    > the new installation so it's necessary to reinstall them. I have backed
    > up all my documents so I don't have to worry about those.
    >
    > Does anyone know the correct procedure here?
    >
    > As an alternative, I would be willing to perform a clean install of
    > Windows XP. Can this be done with just the Windows XP upgrade CD which I
    > have or would I need the full installation version?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Nick

    A parallel install is a great technique for grabbing data files and
    anything else you want off of the drive. Once that's done, I would opt for
    a fresh clean install. Then restore data files. This is actually the
    recommended procedure for this situation. Many good reasons to go full tilt
    and clean install. One of the more obvious is the cross-sharing of program
    files and common files that you've noted.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:37:35 -0700, Nick Cellino wrote:
    >

    >>To solve a Windows problem, I installed Windows XP to a new folder. This
    >>is also known as a parallel installation. I now have XP installed in two
    >>locations, in the WINXP folder as well as the Windows folder. I want to
    >>keep the new WINXP installation and discard the old, problem-laden
    >>Windows installation.
    >>
    >>How do I get rid of the old installation? I would like to get rid of the
    >>files in the Windows folder as well as most of the files in the Program
    >>Files folder. Getting rid of files in the Program Files folder is
    >>necessary because many of those programs won't work now when I boot to
    >>the new installation so it's necessary to reinstall them. I have backed
    >>up all my documents so I don't have to worry about those.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know the correct procedure here?
    >>
    >>As an alternative, I would be willing to perform a clean install of
    >>Windows XP. Can this be done with just the Windows XP upgrade CD which I
    >>have or would I need the full installation version?
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>Nick
    >

    > A parallel install is a great technique for grabbing data files and
    > anything else you want off of the drive. Once that's done, I would opt for
    > a fresh clean install. Then restore data files. This is actually the
    > recommended procedure for this situation. Many good reasons to go full tilt
    > and clean install. One of the more obvious is the cross-sharing of program
    > files and common files that you've noted.

    Thank you, Sharon.

    Can I do a fresh clean install with the upgrade CD?

    Nick

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:32:41 -0700, Nick Cellino wrote:

    > Thank you, Sharon.
    >
    > Can I do a fresh clean install with the upgrade CD?
    >
    > Nick

    Yes, if you have a Windows disk that qualifies for the use of the XP
    Upgrade version. Win95, Win98, WinME. (Win2000 if going to XP Pro.)

    At one point during setup, you'll be asked to place the CD in the drive.
    The CD used must have the standard windows setup files on it (cannot be a
    special OEM restore disk). Once that's done, you'll be prompted to remove
    the disk. Reinsert the XP disk and setup will continue.

    If your qualifying disk is a special OEM recovery CD (does not plainly
    display the standard setup and windows files), then install this first.
    Boot to that operating system. Then run XP setup. If you choose "upgrade"
    it will install over the existing Win-whatever. If you choose "new
    install," follow the on screen directions carefully to remove the partition
    that holds the existing Windows and replace it with clean install of XP.

    A more detailed description of this process can be found here:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:32:41 -0700, Nick Cellino wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you, Sharon.
    >>
    >>Can I do a fresh clean install with the upgrade CD?
    >>
    >>Nick
    >

    > Yes, if you have a Windows disk that qualifies for the use of the XP
    > Upgrade version. Win95, Win98, WinME. (Win2000 if going to XP Pro.)
    >
    > At one point during setup, you'll be asked to place the CD in the drive.
    > The CD used must have the standard windows setup files on it (cannot be a
    > special OEM restore disk). Once that's done, you'll be prompted to remove
    > the disk. Reinsert the XP disk and setup will continue.
    >
    > If your qualifying disk is a special OEM recovery CD (does not plainly
    > display the standard setup and windows files), then install this first.
    > Boot to that operating system. Then run XP setup. If you choose "upgrade"
    > it will install over the existing Win-whatever. If you choose "new
    > install," follow the on screen directions carefully to remove the partition
    > that holds the existing Windows and replace it with clean install of XP.
    >
    > A more detailed description of this process can be found here:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Thanks again, Sharon. I have chosen to do a Clean Install. Since my XP
    CD is the upgrade version and my OEM Restore CD may not qualify for the
    upgrade, I've decided to use the procedure recommended in the page above:

    "So what do you do if your OEM CD or Restore disk does not work as
    qualifying media? One neat new feature of XP allows one to get around
    this problem. First, start the XP clean install from within an existing
    qualified install rather then from the XP CD or from a DOS prompt. When
    you see the screen that ask what type of install to do, change “Upgrade
    (Recommended)” to “New install.” You can then select the existing
    partition, format it, and do a Clean Install, never having to insert
    your qualifying product CD."

    However, I've encountered a problem. On the Setup page which shows the
    only existing partition, I'm presented with 3 choices:

    1. To Setup XP on the selected item, press ENTER
    2. To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
    3. To delete the selected partition, press D

    The third choice is the one I selected but I encountered the following
    warning:

    "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected
    partition. This partition contains temporary Setup files that are
    required to complete the installation".

    The only other viable choice is 1 but for that choice I encounter the
    caution against installing multiple operating systems on the same partition.

    What should I do?

    Nick

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:33:41 -0700, Nick Cellino wrote:

    > Thanks again, Sharon. I have chosen to do a Clean Install. Since my XP
    > CD is the upgrade version and my OEM Restore CD may not qualify for the
    > upgrade, I've decided to use the procedure recommended in the page above:
    >
    > "So what do you do if your OEM CD or Restore disk does not work as
    > qualifying media? One neat new feature of XP allows one to get around
    > this problem. First, start the XP clean install from within an existing
    > qualified install rather then from the XP CD or from a DOS prompt. When
    > you see the screen that ask what type of install to do, change ´Upgrade
    > (Recommended)¡ to ´New install.¡ You can then select the existing
    > partition, format it, and do a Clean Install, never having to insert
    > your qualifying product CD."
    >
    > However, I've encountered a problem. On the Setup page which shows the
    > only existing partition, I'm presented with 3 choices:
    >
    > 1. To Setup XP on the selected item, press ENTER
    > 2. To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
    > 3. To delete the selected partition, press D
    >
    > The third choice is the one I selected but I encountered the following
    > warning:
    >
    > "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected
    > partition. This partition contains temporary Setup files that are
    > required to complete the installation".
    >
    > The only other viable choice is 1 but for that choice I encounter the
    > caution against installing multiple operating systems on the same partition.
    >
    > What should I do?

    Are you installing from the XP CD or did you copy the CD to the hard drive?
    Use the CD.

    It's been a long time since I've done a clean install from an older version
    of Windows. The steps for getting XP setup to "see" the old Windows so that
    it does not ask for the CD are a little vague in my recollection and, like
    you, I rely on web articles. I have done those installations. It's just
    been a long, long time. Sorry.

    Try this. Keep the XP setup CD in the drive at all times. Boot to the old
    windows. Cancel the setup screen. Choose Restart. On the restart change to
    Boot from CD. And then follow the steps you were using before.

    NOTE: When booting to the old Windows again, you may get a boot option
    screen that offers to continue XP setup. Try that option and try the
    partition delete again.

    Or upgrade the existing older Windows. Almost all of it will be replaced
    because of the great diversity between XP and previous 9x versions.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    All you should need to do is delete the old Windows folder. As for the Programs Files folder, since nothing is actually "installed", from your old stuff, you should be able to just re-install the apps. You could delete the specific application folders if you want.

    As for a clean install from the upgrade disc, yes. Just have a Win95/98/Me/2k disk handy for proof of eligibility for the upgrade. A 2K disk may not work if you're installing XP Home.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
    > All you should need to do is delete the old Windows folder. As for the Programs Files folder, since nothing is actually "installed", from your old stuff, you should be able to just re-install the apps. You could delete the specific application folders if you want.
    >
    > As for a clean install from the upgrade disc, yes. Just have a Win95/98/Me/2k disk handy for proof of eligibility for the upgrade. A 2K disk may not work if you're installing XP Home.

    Thanks, Doug. I explained further along in the thread that I have the
    OEM Restore CD for Windows 98 which probably won't qualify as
    upgradeable media. I think I'll follow your instructions and just delete
    the old Windows folder.

    Sharon, the "neat feature" I mentioned is on the first page of the link
    you provided:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    I'm still curious why I encountered a problem with the clean install.
    The caution read:

    "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected
    partition. This partition contains temporary Setup files that are
    required to complete the installation".

    Thanks to all.

    Nick

    Nick,

    You're correct, the OEM Recovery CD won't work. The only reason that I can see that XP would be concerned about temporary setup files is if you tried to format the partition you were installing to, and that's where XP's setup had copied its temporary files to.

    "Nick Cellino" <MSnews2004.mykids@neverbox.com> wrote in message news:uVB$V3ReFHA.4016@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
    >> All you should need to do is delete the old Windows folder. As for the Programs Files folder, since nothing is actually "installed", from your old stuff, you should be able to just re-install the apps. You could delete the specific application folders if you want.
    >>
    >> As for a clean install from the upgrade disc, yes. Just have a Win95/98/Me/2k disk handy for proof of eligibility for the upgrade. A 2K disk may not work if you're installing XP Home.
    >>

    > Thanks, Doug. I explained further along in the thread that I have the
    > OEM Restore CD for Windows 98 which probably won't qualify as
    > upgradeable media. I think I'll follow your instructions and just delete
    > the old Windows folder.
    >
    > Sharon, the "neat feature" I mentioned is on the first page of the link
    > you provided:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >
    > I'm still curious why I encountered a problem with the clean install.
    > The caution read:
    >
    > "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected
    > partition. This partition contains temporary Setup files that are
    > required to complete the installation".
    >
    > Thanks to all.
    >
    > Nick

Microsoft Windows XP