I need help choosing! (Modern Warfare 2)

-713king-

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I see that Modern Warfare 2 coming out November right? well i pre-ordered the game and well im trying to see if i should get it for Console (PS3) or for PC?? When i went to game stop the guys said that they would choose console because there is more competition and so on. What do you guys think of this.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

The only reason I would ask the opinion of a Gamestop employee would be so that I could do the exact opposite of what they recommended. Does that answer your question?

ulysses35

Distinguished
I have the PS3 version on order... bets bit about a console is sticking the disc in and it works... no driver issues etc.

Now to be honest the PC version will look betetr due to higher resolution of the Monitor / GPU.

I don't know why the people keep pushing the console games. If you have a decent computer the games always look better and play better.
I go to one of these shops once in a while. Getting a PC version of anything is like pulling teeth from a toothless man. They either get 1 in or none in. Pretty insulting.
Then they say that PC gaming is on the decline because they never count that fact or the fact that on line sale increased dramatically because you can't buy them in stores.
Screw game stop. I worked in several people oriented positions. You say anything to make a sale. Especially when you get a percentage on anything you sell. You can make more on commission that you can on your weekly salary.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

They [Gamestop and the likes] push console games because that's where they make their money. More specifically they make their money on buying back and reselling console games. If they sell a PC title all they make is the small markup on that single unit. On the other hand for every unit of a console title they sell they not only get that initial markup but they also have an increased chance of being able to buy that game back and resell it at an even higher markup. A single copy of a console game may be bought and resold by them several times over. The net profit margin on a single copy of a console game can easily be many times that of a PC copy of the same game at the same price so it's no mystery why these places push consoles.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

I couldn't agree more purplerat. I hate going to gamestop for anything, but I did make the mistake of trying to pick up the latest operation flashpoint from there. They didn't have it and when I came home found it was available on steam. To answer the OP's question, I on game on PC so that is the direction I would go.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
im getting the PC version over the console version, for numerous reasons.

1, FPSs play better with a keyboard and mouse

2, the pc version will look better

3, i imagine the online community will remain strong for a lot longer on the pc version (since pc gamers are less prone to move on to 'the next big thing'

and to the guy who says the console version just works, i dont reaally tihnk thats fair. with console games requiring installs these days, PC games are no more difficult to install. andi have no more issues installing PC games than i do with console games. this year ive bought 2 brand new console games thast had issues . but havn't had a problem with any PC games yet.

the way i see it, is if your pc is powerful enough then its the better option.

-713king-

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
i will go back and throw the receipt in their face and tell them to switch pre-order for PC lmao. you guys are right it should look better i mean i got a decent computer graphics card ( 4890 ) i hope it looks bad ass with this and 1080p monitor

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

I'm pretty sure they are separate developers. The COD IP was actually separated into the traditional COD which has one developer and the Modern Warfare games which have a different developer. So there's no reason to think that Modern Warfare 2 won't be more like the original Modern Warfare than WaW.

-713king-

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
i just seen previews of Modern Warfare 2 on G4tv and its awsome.. i really think this game would be best on Console lol who knows because with all the new stuff it be hard to do on a keyboard.