ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Sorry.This is in the hard-drives forum too but few people seem to read that.
I am looking to buy a new hard drive and since i have an abit NF7-S i figure i may as well get a SATA drive.How will a SATA drive perform with the silicon image 3112A controller compared to a standard ATA100/133 IDE drive?Can anyone give me any recommendations of a particular make/model of drive with 80/120gb capacity?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya ad_rach;

You shouldnt have any trouble with that SATA controller.

I would suggest a Seagate in that size range, they are faster and quieter then their competetors, however you may find them to be a bit pricier as well.

XeeN

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks :smile: .Do you know if the Seagate ones have a standard power connection as well as the SATA one?
Also(this may be a silly question!),am i right in thinking that i can use a SATA drive on this board without using an IDE hard drive as well?How well will it perform-better/worse than a standard IDE drive?
no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 07/29/03 12:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
on that board sata will not help make the hard drive faster...first of no hard drives can have a sustained transfer of more tan 66mb/s...second on nforce2 boards the sata controlor is on the PCI bus which is limited to 133mb/s...so what is the benifit of having more bandwith if it cannot be used?

The benifits of sata are not speed but easier cables to route and a little bit less cpu ussage...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue and some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks for the info.If it won't be any faster, will your average SATA150 7200rpm drive be at least as fast as my current ATA100 hard drive- an IBM Deskstar 40gb 7200rpm?There won't be any loss in performance if i replace my IDE hdd with an SATA one on this board will there?I don't necessarily mean visible loss of performance, even a drop in "on paper" performance would put me off the switch.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
no loss in performance...possibly a gain because mose sata drives have 8mb of cache and i do not beleive your deskstar has 8mb of cache...although a simular ide drive will perform just as well as an sata drive

stick with ide if..
you don't mind the ribon cables
you don't notice your computer slow down durring hard drive access

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue and some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
my computer certainly has no problems with slow down during hard drive access.is it not worth me getting an SATA drive now anyway though, seeing as they don't cost much more than IDE drives and are theoretically going to succeed them, so i could use the drive with my next build?Having said that, i will be building within the next 6 months at the most so IDE will still be around!Is it worth sticking with IDE and waiting for whatever is available when i next build? should i expect SATA drives to improve noticeably in the next 6 months?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well since sata does not have optical drive support (yet) i think ide will be around for a while....after all floppy drives are still around...