Correct sequence for repair, updates and maybe XP2

martin

A friend's computer slows down/partially freezes when online and when using
IE or Outlook Express. It's had no Windows updates in the 2 years she's
had it.

My initial thoughts are to have a go at MS KB 318378 - reinstall/repair of
IE and OE. However, I have also sent off for the XP2 CD. And I also
have the Feb 2004 Security Update CD.

I propose therefore to take the following steps in order:

1. Reinstall/repair IE and OE (as KB 318378).

2. XP2 update CD.

3. Feb 2004 security CD update.

4. Visit the Windows Update site for critical and recommended updates.

Is that a reasonably sound sequnece? Actually, maybe I'd say some
prayers as the very first step.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:49:22 +0100, Martin wrote:

> A friend's computer slows down/partially freezes when online and when using
> IE or Outlook Express. It's had no Windows updates in the 2 years she's
> had it.
>
> My initial thoughts are to have a go at MS KB 318378 - reinstall/repair of
> IE and OE. However, I have also sent off for the XP2 CD. And I also
> have the Feb 2004 Security Update CD.
>
> I propose therefore to take the following steps in order:
>
> 1. Reinstall/repair IE and OE (as KB 318378).
>
> 2. XP2 update CD.
>
> 3. Feb 2004 security CD update.
>
> 4. Visit the Windows Update site for critical and recommended updates.
>
> Is that a reasonably sound sequnece? Actually, maybe I'd say some
> prayers as the very first step.

Plan B:
1. OK (do some general housecleaning, disk cleanup too).
2. Check for virus and malware (up to date antivirus program; up to date
program such as Lavasoft's AdAware).
3. XP2 update CD (includes the security updates in your #3)
4. Windows update

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

This website is very helpful with what you are about to do. I have upgraded
several computers to SP2 using these steps and the SP2 CD. Open link and
scroll down to where you see "print this checklist," it is very easy to
understand step-by-step directions on what to do before SP2 install. Hope
this helps you as much as it helped me.

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend's computer slows down/partially freezes when online and when using
> IE or Outlook Express. It's had no Windows updates in the 2 years
> she's
> had it.
>
> My initial thoughts are to have a go at MS KB 318378 - reinstall/repair of
> IE and OE. However, I have also sent off for the XP2 CD. And I
> also
> have the Feb 2004 Security Update CD.
>
> I propose therefore to take the following steps in order:
>
> 1. Reinstall/repair IE and OE (as KB 318378).
>
> 2. XP2 update CD.
>
> 3. Feb 2004 security CD update.
>
> 4. Visit the Windows Update site for critical and recommended updates.
>
> Is that a reasonably sound sequnece? Actually, maybe I'd say some
> prayers as the very first step.

martin

I'm very grateful for this steer; the computer in question seems
particularly 'sensitive' to any changes. When I once tried installing some
critical updates it all went horribly wrong and I had to use system restore
and give up on the idea. (But I think that might have been because the Hal
voice synthesis program was running in the background.) So the
information on this website and its links to other relevant sites eg the HP
site is most welcome.

Martin

"Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>
> This website is very helpful with what you are about to do. I have
upgraded
> several computers to SP2 using these steps and the SP2 CD. Open link and
> scroll down to where you see "print this checklist," it is very easy to
> understand step-by-step directions on what to do before SP2 install. Hope
> this helps you as much as it helped me.
>

> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >A friend's computer slows down/partially freezes when online and when
using
> > IE or Outlook Express. It's had no Windows updates in the 2 years
> > she's
> > had it.
> >
> > My initial thoughts are to have a go at MS KB 318378 - reinstall/repair
of
> > IE and OE. However, I have also sent off for the XP2 CD. And I
> > also
> > have the Feb 2004 Security Update CD.
> >
> > I propose therefore to take the following steps in order:
> >
> > 1. Reinstall/repair IE and OE (as KB 318378).
> >
> > 2. XP2 update CD.
> >
> > 3. Feb 2004 security CD update.
> >
> > 4. Visit the Windows Update site for critical and recommended updates.
> >
> > Is that a reasonably sound sequnece? Actually, maybe I'd say
some
> > prayers as the very first step.

martin

Many thanks - I'm not at all familiar with XP being well anchored in 98SE,
so I greatly appreciate Plan B, which is now elevated in status to Plan A.

Martin

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:42:22 +0100, Martin wrote:

> Many thanks - I'm not at all familiar with XP being well anchored in 98SE,
> so I greatly appreciate Plan B, which is now elevated in status to Plan A.

You're welcome. Originally from a Win98 background myself so understand the
sentiment. I see that you also got a good recommendation for Jupiter Jones'
site that goes into upgrade/update details in more depth. A good resource
to have in your arsenal. Good luck with this project!

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User