802.11 Packet Sniffer??

Is there a packet sniffer for 802.11 a,b,G that cost less than my left
hand???

Free would be nice or cheap...

EL wrote:
> Is there a packet sniffer for 802.11 a,b,G that cost less than my left
> hand???
>
> Free would be nice or cheap...

Linkferret (http://www.linkferret.ws)is meant to be good, and you can
get an eval copy. I don't know of a free wireless sniffer, but ethereal
(http://www.ethereal.com) is a good free sniffer. It won't understand
all the underlying wireless protocols, but it can still be useful.

"Chris Bartram" <news@delete.me.piglet-net.net> wrote in message
> EL wrote:
> > Is there a packet sniffer for 802.11 a,b,G that cost less than my left
> > hand???
> >
> > Free would be nice or cheap...

Doesn't Microsoft's Netmon work on the WiFi Interface?

John

---

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I believe in order to pull them out of the air, you need the $ software on
windows. Another poster stated that tools like Ethereal and Packetyzer only
display them when they are transferred to Ethernet.

Jake wrote:

> I believe in order to pull them out of the air, you need the $ software on
> windows. Another poster stated that tools like Ethereal and Packetyzer only
> display them when they are transferred to Ethernet.

That's right. Linkferret's site explains all. Wireless cards get
presented to Windows as ethernet, as the wireless driver acts as an
emulation layer of sorts. Netmon or ethereal will read the 'ethernet'
layer fine, but you need something like linkferret to see below that.

Packetyzer will show the 802.11 packets including control packets, beacons,
and even LWAPP
packets.

In article <3Fo3d.40632$uN5.32097@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
Fresnel Fadermargini <RSSI@pathloss.dbm.com> wrote:
:packetyzer will show the 802.11 packets including control packets, beacons,
:and even LWAPP
:packets.

When I look at the product description,
http://www.networkchemistry.com/products/packetyzer/
the implication there seems to be that you need an unusual device
such as their "Neutrino Sensor" in order to get *all* the packets.

Though I guess if you were using a hacked firmware for something
like the 54g, you could create a version that forwarded all packets,
without needing to buy the Neutrino. packetyzer will, it appears,
analyze all the packets you can get to it -somehow-.
--
"The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
-- Dr. Adam Drewnowski