I don't feel like an idiot, I am one! Advice please?

June 25, 2005 4:50:57 PM

I have a fairly new Dell Dimension 8400 and the system is Windows xp media
center, version 2002, service pack 2
What would be the easiest way for me to be able to watch tv on my computer?
What software do I need? I know I'll need to get a cable hub, but what else?
Thanks!

More about : feel idiot advice

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:57:44 PM

If it came with Media Center installed, you shoudn't need any additional hardware or software. Just Start the Media Center interface by pressing the green button on your remote, or from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Media Center, Media Center.

The only thing you should have to do is connect your TV/Cable to the computer and run Media Center. The first time it starts, it will walk you through the setup process. You computer should also have come with a manual that explains setting up the Media Center portion of your computer, and how to connect it to your TV, cable box, etc.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"gentile jim" <mccahilt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:p Wfve.4252$Zo.1035@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>I have a fairly new Dell Dimension 8400 and the system is Windows xp media
> center, version 2002, service pack 2
> What would be the easiest way for me to be able to watch tv on my computer?
> What software do I need? I know I'll need to get a cable hub, but what else?
> Thanks!

June 25, 2005 6:18:57 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:57:44 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

> If it came with Media Center installed, you shoudn't need any additional hardware or software. Just Start the Media Center interface by pressing the green button on your remote, or from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Media Center, Media Center.
>
> The only thing you should have to do is connect your TV/Cable to the computer and run Media Center. The first time it starts, it will walk you through the setup process. You computer should also have come with a manual that explains setting up the Media Center portion of your computer, and how to connect it to your TV, cable box, etc.

Hmmm. They wanted to sell us a tv monitor for an additional $660
(which we didn't buy), was that just upselling? You're getting me all
excited about the possibility of watching tv on the computer. Do I
need a special chip for picture in picture?

I visualize myself sitting here with my headphones on listening to the
the tv and doing internet stuff while hubby flips the channels to his
hearts content AND we're both in the same room. Howzzat for a pipe
dream?
June 25, 2005 7:22:02 PM

To add to Doug K's post it is possible to purchase a Dell 8400 with Media
Center but without a TV tuner card so you would need to get one if you don't
have one.

There is a hardware compatibility list @
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners...

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 5CAEcaeFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
If it came with Media Center installed, you shoudn't need any additional
hardware or software. Just Start the Media Center interface by pressing the
green button on your remote, or from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Media
Center, Media Center.

The only thing you should have to do is connect your TV/Cable to the
computer and run Media Center. The first time it starts, it will walk you
through the setup process. You computer should also have come with a manual
that explains setting up the Media Center portion of your computer, and how
to connect it to your TV, cable box, etc.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"gentile jim" <mccahilt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:p Wfve.4252$Zo.1035@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>I have a fairly new Dell Dimension 8400 and the system is Windows xp media
> center, version 2002, service pack 2
> What would be the easiest way for me to be able to watch tv on my
> computer?
> What software do I need? I know I'll need to get a cable hub, but what
> else?
> Thanks!

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:36:03 PM

"sf" wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:57:44 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
> > If it came with Media Center installed, you shoudn't need any additional hardware or software. Just Start the Media Center interface by pressing the green button on your remote, or from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Media Center, Media Center.
> >
> > The only thing you should have to do is connect your TV/Cable to the computer and run Media Center. The first time it starts, it will walk you through the setup process. You computer should also have come with a manual that explains setting up the Media Center portion of your computer, and how to connect it to your TV, cable box, etc.
>

> Hmmm. They wanted to sell us a tv monitor for an additional $660
> (which we didn't buy), was that just upselling? You're getting me all
> excited about the possibility of watching tv on the computer. Do I
> need a special chip for picture in picture?
>
> I visualize myself sitting here with my headphones on listening to the
> the tv and doing internet stuff while hubby flips the channels to his
> hearts content AND we're both in the same room. Howzzat for a pipe
> dream?

Hello, Visit http://www.hauppauge.com
The external unit is the least expensive and you can move the unit to
different computers. Have one for the last three years. They have several
different products, WinTV USB external should be the least expensive. Install
the software, plug in usb and audio connection and connect tv cable or
whatever you have to the turner.
Take Care.
beamish.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:44:01 PM

Didn't think of that. Would seem obvious that you need a tuner, but I guess the purchaser would also want some flexibility in what tuner they wanted.

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message news:%23Y$JpsbeFHA.2700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> To add to Doug K's post it is possible to purchase a Dell 8400 with Media
> Center but without a TV tuner card so you would need to get one if you don't
> have one.
>
> There is a hardware compatibility list @
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners...
>
> --
> Doug
>
> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o 5CAEcaeFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> If it came with Media Center installed, you shoudn't need any additional
> hardware or software. Just Start the Media Center interface by pressing the
> green button on your remote, or from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Media
> Center, Media Center.
>
> The only thing you should have to do is connect your TV/Cable to the
> computer and run Media Center. The first time it starts, it will walk you
> through the setup process. You computer should also have come with a manual
> that explains setting up the Media Center portion of your computer, and how
> to connect it to your TV, cable box, etc.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "gentile jim" <mccahilt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:p Wfve.4252$Zo.1035@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>>I have a fairly new Dell Dimension 8400 and the system is Windows xp media
>> center, version 2002, service pack 2
>> What would be the easiest way for me to be able to watch tv on my
>> computer?
>> What software do I need? I know I'll need to get a cable hub, but what
>> else?
>> Thanks!

June 25, 2005 8:44:02 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:44:01 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

> Didn't think of that. Would seem obvious that you need a tuner, but I guess the purchaser would also want some flexibility in what tuner they wanted.

It's NOT obvious to some of us. So do we need a tuner or a card?
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:30:03 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:18:57 -0700, sf <sf@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:57:44 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> If it came with Media Center installed, you shoudn't need any additional hardware or software. Just Start the Media Center interface by pressing the green button on your remote, or from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Media Center, Media Center.
>>
>> The only thing you should have to do is connect your TV/Cable to the computer and run Media Center. The first time it starts, it will walk you through the setup process. You computer should also have come with a manual that explains setting up the Media Center portion of your computer, and how to connect it to your TV, cable box, etc.
>

>Hmmm. They wanted to sell us a tv monitor for an additional $660
>(which we didn't buy), was that just upselling? You're getting me all
>excited about the possibility of watching tv on the computer. Do I
>need a special chip for picture in picture?
>
>I visualize myself sitting here with my headphones on listening to the
>the tv and doing internet stuff while hubby flips the channels to his
>hearts content AND we're both in the same room. Howzzat for a pipe
>dream?

Didn't need media XP pro. I've been doing that since 97 on a P1 win98.
Just hooked up the ATI AIW. TV right corner, Internet the rest of the screen.
DVD, TV, play record, etc..
June 25, 2005 11:41:29 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:22:51 -0700, sf <sf@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:44:01 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> Didn't think of that. Would seem obvious that you need a tuner, but I guess the purchaser would also want some flexibility in what tuner they wanted.
>
>It's NOT obvious to some of us. So do we need a tuner or a card?

You might try asking about this in the videocards.ati News group. I'm not real
sure that anyone in that group has a clue about anything but games. But it's
plenty active, but mostly just questions for help. Very little tech savvy in
that group.

Myself I started with the ATI AIW 128. I'm now on a P4 with the AIW 9800.
About the only thing I've learned about ATI, is NEVER upgrade from the website.
Installing the original software is hard enough. 90% of the time I upgraded
from the web site I regretted it and normally went back to the original CD.

And you don't want to get into a long distance [Canada] support phone call with
them. Not with out having proof of your first pets blood type handy.

ATI's support SUX. Their hardware Kicks. You can get ATI stuff on Walmart
shelves.

I know of only one other company that does what the AIW does. And they looked
like a hole in the wall on the web. Site looked like it was put together in 10
minutes. And the hardware was no where near as impressive as the AIW.

ATI does have a huge web site.
ATI can give you an idea of what you need.

June 26, 2005 2:09:48 AM

SF,

I just couldn't even think of an OEM selling a Media Center PC, without the tuner.

You have a number of options. The MCE compatibility list that someone else posted will give you a good list of choices.

The Hauppauge 150-MCE is around $99 retail, but you can find it at Newegg.com for about $80, and requires a free PCI slot. Their WinTV-PVR-USB2 runs around $149 retail, but again, you can probably find it cheaper. Hopefully if Dell sold you an MCE machine, they included a Media Center Remote in the package.

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message news:gjhrb1p15lbd2g6v97sgqqdha5e17j93ge@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:57:44 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> If it came with Media Center installed, you shoudn't need any additional hardware or software. Just Start the Media Center interface by pressing the green button on your remote, or from Start, All Programs, Accessories, Media Center, Media Center.
>>
>> The only thing you should have to do is connect your TV/Cable to the computer and run Media Center. The first time it starts, it will walk you through the setup process. You computer should also have come with a manual that explains setting up the Media Center portion of your computer, and how to connect it to your TV, cable box, etc.
>

> Hmmm. They wanted to sell us a tv monitor for an additional $660
> (which we didn't buy), was that just upselling? You're getting me all
> excited about the possibility of watching tv on the computer. Do I
> need a special chip for picture in picture?
>
> I visualize myself sitting here with my headphones on listening to the
> the tv and doing internet stuff while hubby flips the channels to his
> hearts content AND we're both in the same room. Howzzat for a pipe
> dream?

June 26, 2005 5:41:51 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:36:03 -0700, beamish wrote:

> Hello, Visit http://www.hauppauge.com
> The external unit is the least expensive and you can move the unit to
> different computers. Have one for the last three years. They have several
> different products, WinTV USB external should be the least expensive. Install
> the software, plug in usb and audio connection and connect tv cable

Sounds easy enough!

> or whatever you have to the turner.

I don't have a "tuner"... I have a regular LCD monitor. Is that a
problem?

TIA
June 26, 2005 7:13:16 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:09:48 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

> SF,
>
> I just couldn't even think of an OEM selling a Media Center PC, without the tuner.

They wanted to sell me the tuner, but I didn't bite.

> You have a number of options. The MCE compatibility list that someone else posted will give you a good list of choices.
>
> The Hauppauge 150-MCE is around $99 retail, but you can find it at Newegg.com for about $80, and requires a free PCI slot. Their WinTV-PVR-USB2 runs around $149 retail, but again, you can probably find it cheaper.

I guess a USB connector would be better for me because I don't do
hardware. :)

> Hopefully if Dell sold you an MCE machine, they included a Media Center Remote in the package.

I'll check around and see if one turns up. I didn't buy their tuner,
so I doubt a remote came with the computer. Is that going to be a
problem?

TIA
June 26, 2005 7:15:59 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:30:03 -0400, Husky wrote:

> Didn't need media XP pro. I've been doing that since 97 on a P1 win98.
> Just hooked up the ATI AIW. TV right corner, Internet the rest of the screen.
> DVD, TV, play record, etc..

A computer guy told me about that when I had my old win98... now Dell
wants to upsell some weird looking tuner/monitor for the same purpose
as far as I can tell.

What kind of monitor do you use for this? I have a flat screen LCD.
June 26, 2005 10:05:56 PM

Look on the rear of the computer for a TV cable connector. If it has one,
plug one in and watch TV.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:52:29 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:15:59 -0700, sf <sf@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:30:03 -0400, Husky wrote:
>
>> Didn't need media XP pro. I've been doing that since 97 on a P1 win98.
>> Just hooked up the ATI AIW. TV right corner, Internet the rest of the screen.
>> DVD, TV, play record, etc..
>
>A computer guy told me about that when I had my old win98... now Dell
>wants to upsell some weird looking tuner/monitor for the same purpose
>as far as I can tell.
>
>What kind of monitor do you use for this? I have a flat screen LCD.
ttx 1770

June 27, 2005 5:16:31 AM

If they didn't include a remote, then you can purchase one, with an IR receiver/blaster, separately.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1688...
Philips

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1688...
Microsoft

If you plan to use dual tuners, and have a set top box for your cable/satellite setup, go with the MS remote. Its a bit more expensive but comes with the second IR emitter already included (necessary for controlling set top boxes).

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message news:qv9ub1pkp63is9convijdhdqkgh1kb335e@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:09:48 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> SF,
>>
>> I just couldn't even think of an OEM selling a Media Center PC, without the tuner.
>>
> They wanted to sell me the tuner, but I didn't bite.
>>
>> You have a number of options. The MCE compatibility list that someone else posted will give you a good list of choices.
>>
>> The Hauppauge 150-MCE is around $99 retail, but you can find it at Newegg.com for about $80, and requires a free PCI slot. Their WinTV-PVR-USB2 runs around $149 retail, but again, you can probably find it cheaper.
>
> I guess a USB connector would be better for me because I don't do
> hardware. :)
>
>> Hopefully if Dell sold you an MCE machine, they included a Media Center Remote in the package.
>
> I'll check around and see if one turns up. I didn't buy their tuner,
> so I doubt a remote came with the computer. Is that going to be a
> problem?
>
> TIA
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 9:14:03 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:16:31 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

>If they didn't include a remote, then you can purchase one, with an IR receiver/blaster, separately.
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1688...
>Philips
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1688...
>Microsoft
>
>If you plan to use dual tuners, and have a set top box for your cable/satellite setup, go with the MS remote. Its a bit more expensive but comes with the second IR emitter already included (necessary for controlling set top boxes).

Which is just one reason I'm returning a brand new RCA VCR-DVD recorder. I also
own a RCA TV. When the remote died, they wanted the cost of a NEW TV from Kmart
to replace it.. Cheaper to get a new TV with a NEW remote at Kmart or Walmart.

The old remote had extra options like color adjust, sleep program, etc.. that
weren't accessible from the 3rd party remotes.

I can see that this VCR-DVD will be an expensive doorstop because it's ALL
handled by the remote. If that goes, you aren't going to get any replacement
remote from Kmart/Walmart to do anything but turn it on and off.

June 27, 2005 2:09:42 PM

Your a friggin genius
"Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
> Look on the rear of the computer for a TV cable connector. If it has one,
> plug one in and watch TV.

July 1, 2005 5:42:52 PM

He certainly is. He was able to tell me what to look for and it's not
there. However, I do see something that looks either like it's
covering up something else or can be removed to add a cable connector.

``````````````````

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:09:42 -0400, Technical Ecstasy wrote:

> Your a friggin genius

> "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
> > Look on the rear of the computer for a TV cable connector. If it has one,
> > plug one in and watch TV.

July 1, 2005 5:48:39 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:05:56 -0400, Jack wrote:

> Look on the rear of the computer for a TV cable connector. If it has one,
> plug one in and watch TV.

That's all there is? Easy! I didn't see one, but I saw a place where
it is probably supposed to be. So, plug it in and use the remote that
Doug mentioned... or would I need a cable box too? I want to be on
the internet with a small tv picture in one corner that I can enlarge
if I want to watch something in better detail. Do I need some sort of
a special card for picture in picture?
July 1, 2005 6:11:50 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:52:29 -0400, Husky wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:15:59 -0700, sf <sf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:30:03 -0400, Husky wrote:
> >
> >> Didn't need media XP pro. I've been doing that since 97 on a P1 win98.
> >> Just hooked up the ATI AIW. TV right corner, Internet the rest of the screen.
> >> DVD, TV, play record, etc..
> >
> >A computer guy told me about that when I had my old win98... now Dell
> >wants to upsell some weird looking tuner/monitor for the same purpose
> >as far as I can tell.
> >
> >What kind of monitor do you use for this? I have a flat screen LCD.

> ttx 1770

So, all I need is to install an ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT and I'm all
set? It looks like a pair of co-axial connectors AND a remote come
with it.

thanks,
:)
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:36:33 PM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:11:50 -0700, sf <sf@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:52:29 -0400, Husky wrote:

>> >A computer guy told me about that when I had my old win98... now Dell
>> >wants to upsell some weird looking tuner/monitor for the same purpose
>> >as far as I can tell.
>> >
>> >What kind of monitor do you use for this? I have a flat screen LCD.
>
>> ttx 1770
>
>So, all I need is to install an ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT and I'm all
>set? It looks like a pair of co-axial connectors AND a remote come
>with it.

I know nothing about any thing except the AIW 9800.
Just remember they may have the best hardware, but their support SUX. And don't
expect any help from the ATI news group. There might be someone in there that
has a clue about the ATI stuff, but with the lack of support from ATI, I'd
question just about anything in the news group.

And NEVER upgrade the software. I don't think ATI knows software. I've taken as
much as a week to finish an upgrade, and always went back to the original CD.
July 1, 2005 9:44:51 PM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:36:33 -0400, Husky wrote:

> >So, all I need is to install an ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT and I'm set?
> > It looks like a pair of co-axial connectors AND a remote come with it.
> >
> I know nothing about any thing except the AIW 9800.
> Just remember they may have the best hardware, but their support SUX. And don't
> expect any help from the ATI news group. There might be someone in there that
> has a clue about the ATI stuff, but with the lack of support from ATI, I'd
> question just about anything in the news group.
>
> And NEVER upgrade the software. I don't think ATI knows software. I've taken as
> much as a week to finish an upgrade, and always went back to the original CD.

Thanks for the advice.
!