Sign in with
Your question

Contest: March Madness 2011- Submit Your Bracket!

Last response: in Sports & Wellness
March 9, 2011 1:54:00 PM

March Madness 2011 Tom's Hardware Contest

With March Madness 2011 fast approaching, we decided that it would be a good idea to get a bit of a bracket contest going here on Tom's. It's really quite simple: download/print out a blank men's bracket, write in/type in your picks to win (if you choose the write/scan method, ensure that you write legibly), and then scan/link the bracket to a post in this thread via a free image hosting site. Instead of I or a bunch of the mods scoring the brackets after every round, we'll leave it to you to score your own bracket (i.e. the honor system). Don't cheat though, as we'll verify the top score at the end of the tournament. We'll keep the scoring system simple: 1 point per correct choice in round 1, 2 points in round 2, 3 points in round 3, etc... Also, do not forget to include a final score for the championship game, as we'll use that in case there is a tie. After each round, edit your post and count up how many points you got, i.e. Round 1 Score: 12, Round 2 Score: 5, etc...

The winner will receive a special forum title: Forum Bookie.

I believe that the brackets will be released sometime Sunday night here in the US, so if you want to get in on the contest, try and get your bracket up before the first game starts. Any brackets submitted after the first game will not be eligible. Seeing that this year's tournament incorporates 68 teams instead of 65 like year's past, there will be more "play-in" games. You do not have to guess those correctly or have your bracket submitted before any "play-in" games. Just ensure that you have your brackets posted before the first seeded game commences.

For our international members or even those who do not know squat about men's college basketball, feel free to join in by just guessing. It has been my experience that those who have no knowledge what-so-ever of men's college basketball tend to do the best or even win a pool. I'll leave the strategy to you.

Once the brackets are released on Sunday night sometime, I'll post a few links here where you can download a bracket.

Brackets:
http://www.madduxsports.com/ncaa-tournament-bracket.pdf
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/b...
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournam...

Free Image Hosting:
http://photobucket.com/
http://imageshack.us/
http://tinypic.com/
http://www.postimage.org/

More about : contest march madness 2011 submit bracket

March 11, 2011 6:01:42 PM

Trying to figure out the method you suggest and enter the contest. I am completely unfamiliar with posting an entry to the contest by the procedure you describe.
March 13, 2011 1:42:53 AM

LOL. I'll post up a bracket you can fill in on your PC, save, and then upload to an image side- if I can find one. Otherwise, just print one out, fill it in, and scan it (if you have a scanner).
March 13, 2011 9:15:50 PM

The teams are being announced now. I'll post up links to the brackets in the first post once the brackets are released.
March 13, 2011 10:46:00 PM

Can't wait - the madness is upon me and go Pitt!
Dave
March 13, 2011 11:42:02 PM

Posted links to the brackets.

Again, if you want to participate, try and have your bracket up by early Tuesday, i.e. before the first game.

I'll get my bracket up sometime tomorrow, as I need a bit of time to consider it. ;) 
March 14, 2011 1:41:57 PM

You lost me in the second line of your post. Blank Men's bracket? WTF are you talking about?

*EDIT

Men's college basketball? Seriously, you couldn't find something a little more interesting than that for a contest on a Hardware site?? I'll pass.
March 14, 2011 5:42:12 PM

Figured that it was worth a shot to cater to some of our sports fans on the site.
March 15, 2011 12:16:17 AM

Cant get in but I'll take Kansas to win.
Dave
March 20, 2011 11:09:35 PM

so much fot Pitt - they kill my bracket every year
March 21, 2011 5:44:41 AM

I agree. Killed me as well. Well, them Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Purdue, and Texas. LOL. On the bright side, there have been a few upsets, which always adds to March Madness. It'll be interesting to see how Marquette, VCU, Florida State, and Richmond fair.
March 21, 2011 11:38:38 PM

buwish said:
I agree. Killed me as well. Well, them Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Purdue, and Texas. LOL. On the bright side, there have been a few upsets, which always adds to March Madness. It'll be interesting to see how Marquette, VCU, Florida State, and Richmond fair.

Do you realize that the city of Richmond VA has as many teams in the sweet 16 as the entire big east? Talk about overrated! And I bought in hook line and sinker.
Dave
March 22, 2011 1:09:22 AM

Unforunately I did as well. Most of the "experts" are now saying that the Big East with its 11 teams who got selected were overrated and I agree! If Kansas doesn't screw up, they'll have an easy road to the final four with all of the low seeds in their region. Ohio State on the other hand has to go through Kentucky and perhaps North Carolina to get there. Duke doesn't have it easy either with Arizona, SDSU, and UCONN.
March 22, 2011 2:40:18 AM

I watched the games until I'm dizzy. Jimmer was tough. Florida St. had a great team game on defense. Florida looked beatable. I also thought Arizona was weak. UCONN looked good. Ohio State looked VERY tough. I expect Ohio to wear down thier opponent with talent and execution and get to the big dance. My daughter turned SDSU down 6 years ago and went elsewhere. Not for basketball. SDSU is the shining gem of the CAL St. program. Daughter graduated 2 years ago from Long Beach State. Not basketball. Hey, she will receive her Master's in Psychology in May at 23 years of age. Again, I had not watched a single play of college basketball this season until now. The games have been very enjoyable to watch indeed. Without buwish's idea of this contest I would not have watched any of this but the sport news highlights. Go Jimmer! ;) 
March 22, 2011 8:37:47 AM

That's the way to go- I got my master's at 23 as well. Hasn't gotten me much yet, but patience is key.

I agree. Most of the games over the weekend and prior were excellent- very close and exciting!
March 22, 2011 2:56:30 PM

Well congrats and that is really quite an achievement few can mange. I am most proud of her for growing up into a a well rounded adult thinking woman at her young age. Anyway, she is serving her 3000 hour, believe that 3000, internship as a grade staff school therapist. I guess it's like a counsler for the kids, but she has to legally sign up the parents and take them under her care as a therapist should the situation warrant. Like Melissa asks one parent, "what kind of recurring dreams are you talking about?" Mother of student, call her Axella, replies, "I want to kill my husband!" I mean my daughter is 23, she's not Sigmund Freud in his prime. She went to Goodwill and filled her trunk full of stufffed animals and kid's games and toys. I saw all of it in her trunk the other day and asked how much it cost and if she paid for it. She said maybe a hundred dollars and she did. Her youngest kids must like her. After the 3000 hours she will become a licensed therapist. Should she continue further she would enter a five year Psy. D. prgram. Become a Clinical Psychologist. When I went to school it was different. She would be two years from becoming a Clinical psychologist.
March 22, 2011 9:08:23 PM

You should be very proud of her indeed. Makes paying for the education worth it in the end, eh?

I paid for mine on my own (read loans), as when I started I had "I'm 18 and hate my parents" syndrome. I don't anymore, of course, but I'm still glad I did it to keep the stress off of the old man and allow him to send my sisters to school. As they say, it's like buying a house with the kind of debt I have. I don't lose sleep over it though. Just money.
March 22, 2011 9:44:25 PM

Well, we paid for her bachelor's degree with personal checks for four years. Of course my wife wrote down the entire expense and reminds her of the figure every time she even thinks about getting a big head. Then, just to teach her daughter the value of money her mother made her sign up for a loan for the graduate study. Ofcourse after the kid sweats and suffers trying to pay the loan off we will cut the check and make the whole idea of getting that education worthwhile again at least in her mind. Had my daugter learned to be as diplomatic as her mother she would have not needed the loan. She was so close, but more maturity with her ideas of money and it's uses was needed.
March 23, 2011 5:10:32 AM

It's all about priorities and sticking to your guns when it comes to finances- I'll tell you that much. ;) 
March 24, 2011 5:31:42 AM

I never really understood March Madness.
March 24, 2011 5:53:44 AM

College basketball crowns a national champion. College players are given a spotlight to display thier talents in hopes of being drafted into the NBA and making 5 year contracts worth 125 million. Guys you never heard of named Jimmer appear on the TV screen.
March 24, 2011 8:42:05 AM

It's all about the $$$$. ;) 
March 24, 2011 6:50:11 PM

Oh please not here too!!
March 25, 2011 12:03:48 AM

So, how will Jimmer do in the NBA? Danny Ainge type player maybe? Very usefull but not a superstar. Thoughts?
Dave
March 25, 2011 4:46:26 AM

Yes, perhaps someone like Danny Ainge or even a Steve Kerr like sharpshooter. He is one heck of a jump shooter, there is no doubt about that. The only question is will he be able to shoot at a high percentage at the NBA level with bigger guys and more physicality. He deserves a shot though.
March 25, 2011 4:49:13 AM

On another note, my brackets everywhere are officially shot after tonight. I do have a chance at the National Championship game yet though, so Ohio State and Kansas need to keep winning. I know I picked Kentucky in the one above, as they are my team, but I wouldn't mind so much in the end if they got beat by Ohio State and Ohio State won it all.
March 26, 2011 4:00:15 AM

While the rest of my bracket above is wrecked, I am suddenly looking like a genius for picking Kentucky, at least to this point. Heckuva game against Ohio State!
March 26, 2011 2:18:18 PM

Ohio State needed LeBron in disguise. The choke artist would have fit right in. Duke is still sulking over Christian Latettner going pro.
March 30, 2011 9:38:14 PM

Like many others out there I'm not a Duke fan. I think it's because they win so much. ;) 

It should be a decent Final Four though. If I were a coach I'd be terrified to play VCU right now. I swear they played dead all year just to ruin everyone's brackets.
March 30, 2011 9:53:33 PM

I'm thinking how I can catch a ride to a Anaheim Royals game this fall. If I can catch a ride from my son and arrange to have a ride five miles back hoem when the game is over I don't even have to pay and park and deal with the traffic. I could probably walk home. I can hear my wife, "are you nuts!" Maybe I can trick her into going by telling her the food is really special. When she sees hot dogs she'll say, "I'm leaving!" I'd have to walk anyway I figure.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/03/30/kings-move.ap/index....

March 31, 2011 12:27:29 AM

buwish said:
Like many others out there I'm not a Duke fan. I think it's because they win so much. ;) 

It should be a decent Final Four though. If I were a coach I'd be terrified to play VCU right now. I swear they played dead all year just to ruin everyone's brackets.

The way this thing is going I'd be afraid to play anyone if I was a higher seed. :) 
Dave
April 5, 2011 4:04:10 AM

UCONN won it. Sadly, the championship game was by far the most boring game of the tournament, as neither side, especially Butler could hit the broad side of the barn.
April 5, 2011 4:41:12 AM

^Oh, well. Maybe next year.

April 5, 2011 3:50:53 PM

I missed the game. Didn't know it was on monday. I considered pickicg UConn from the beginning.
April 5, 2011 11:54:47 PM

I missed ALL of it.

Never really go to know much. Anyways.

Next up: Easter!
April 6, 2011 12:08:02 AM

Next year when you watch the late news and a rerun of the best plays of the night in professional basketball come on and you don't know what a ' Jimmer' is you will know just how much you missed. Don't worry about it. I missed most of the 70's and I'm all right. Not basketball. The entire decade.
April 6, 2011 12:57:32 AM

This topic has been desticky in top of the forum by Buwish
April 6, 2011 12:59:26 AM

Overall it was a good tourney- lots of close, exciting games. Still though, I hope that they do not expand the field to 96, as the whole thing will be a complete joke then.
April 6, 2011 1:15:18 AM

First time I took an in depth look at the national championship start to finish. It was fun and I look forward to doing so again! Thank to buwish I have found new ways to fun and excitement. ;) 
April 6, 2011 1:21:36 AM

buwish said:
UCONN won it. Sadly, the championship game was by far the most boring game of the tournament, as neither side, especially Butler could hit the broad side of the barn.

Agreed - worst final I've ever watched and I've been watching since the Bird/ Magic days.
But the games leading up to the final were very entertaining.
dave
April 6, 2011 3:40:30 AM

It would be less boring if you were drunk, but that is a little too far. :D 
April 6, 2011 3:56:38 AM

Yes, a little booze probably would have helped with the championship game.

I'm glad that I have expanded your sporting horizons badge. ;) 
April 6, 2011 4:33:26 AM

Booze=alcohol.
April 6, 2011 4:34:57 AM

Alcohol=-OH ion.
!