ME update to XP problem

June 26, 2005 6:28:27 AM

I just tried to update our other computer from ME to XP. It seemed to
be working fine, until it restarted. When it got to the point of
showing the Microsoft bar thing that looks like it's loading - it
stops/freezes.

I did this 2 times previously - several weeks ago. I apparently need
to update a driver. When I try with ME - I can't do it for XP - but
when I tried to load XP again - it still won't work.

I just tried it again, I guess hoping it would do something different -
but it didn't.

Any suggestions?

--
hawkinsc

More about : update problem

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:28:28 AM

hawkinsc wrote:

> I just tried to update our other computer from ME to XP. It seemed to
> be working fine, until it restarted. When it got to the point of
> showing the Microsoft bar thing that looks like it's loading - it
> stops/freezes.
>
> I did this 2 times previously - several weeks ago. I apparently need
> to update a driver. When I try with ME - I can't do it for XP - but
> when I tried to load XP again - it still won't work.
>
> I just tried it again, I guess hoping it would do something different -
> but it didn't.
>
> Any suggestions?

Do a clean installation of Windows XP.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:12:11 PM

hawkinsc <hawkinsc.1r7xpo@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>I just tried to update our other computer from ME to XP. It seemed to
>be working fine, until it restarted. When it got to the point of
>showing the Microsoft bar thing that looks like it's loading - it
>stops/freezes.
>
>I did this 2 times previously - several weeks ago. I apparently need
>to update a driver. When I try with ME - I can't do it for XP - but
>when I tried to load XP again - it still won't work.
>
>I just tried it again, I guess hoping it would do something different -
>but it didn't.
>
>Any suggestions?

Try booting XP into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key rapidly
immediately after you turn the power on. Keep tapping until the
Windows Startup Menu appears and choose Safe Mode from the menu.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP