16 bit windows subsystem error message

June 26, 2005 6:43:05 PM

I get the following message when I open windows xp and some programs don't
work. I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications.
Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:00:06 PM

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

--
Peter

"nisem" <nisem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F441B53-CCB3-469F-AB96-A4AB781D7547@microsoft.com...
> I get the following message when I open windows xp and some programs don't
> work. I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
> The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications.
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

June 26, 2005 10:02:42 PM

SYMPTOMS

If you try to start or install an MS-DOS-based or a 16-bit Windows-based
program on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an error message
that is similar to one of the following:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program that you are trying to start or install

C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program that you are trying to start or install

config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program that you are trying to start or install

C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

Although you may be prompted to quit the program or ignore the error
message, either selection makes the program quit.

Back to the top Back to the top

CAUSE

This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing or
damaged:

.. Config.nt

.. Autoexec.nt

.. Command.com

Back to the top Back to the top

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue:

1. Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing
ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

exit

5. Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not
complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next
step.

6. Note: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in
the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand it from your
Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.

7. In Notepad, type the following entries:

dos=high, umb

device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys

files=40

8. On the File menu, click Save As.

9. In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close
the Config.nt file.

10. On the File menu, click New.

11. In the new blank document, type the following entries:

@echo off

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

12. On the File menu, click Save As.

13. In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close
the Autoexec.nt file.

14. Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the
Config.nt file, and then click Copy.

15. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click
Paste.

16. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and
then click Copy.

17. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click
Paste.

18. Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com
file, and then click Copy.

19. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click
Paste. Restart your computer.

If the issue continues to occur, copy the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt files
from the Repair folder in Windows to the System folder. To do so, follow
these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then click
OK.

2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.

3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and then click
OK.

4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.

5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied, and then
click Properties.

6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.

7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.

Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be removed
after you restart Windows.

Back to the top Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

For more information about MS-DOS-based programs in Windows, click the
following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

305521 "16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an MS-DOS or
16-Bit Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server

314106 Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP

Back to the top Back to the top

APPLIES TO

.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional

.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
June 26, 2005 11:37:39 PM

Would it not have been easier to just copy\paste the URL by itself

--
Peter

June 26, 2005 11:37:40 PM

I wondered that myself.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o RWACgqeFHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Would it not have been easier to just copy\paste the URL by itself
>
> --
> Peter

June 27, 2005 1:09:50 AM

Agreed,but on the other hand I have been chastised in the past for providing
a link instead of a long wordy answer, go figure?

Peter Foldes wrote:
> [...]
>> then click OK.
>>
>> 4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.
>>
>> 5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied,
>> and then click Properties.
>>
>> 6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.
>>
>> 7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.
>>
>> Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be
>> removed after you restart Windows.
>>
>> Back to the top Back to the top
>>
>> MORE INFORMATION
>>
>> For more information about MS-DOS-based programs in Windows, click
>> the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
>> Knowledge Base:
>>
>> 305521 "16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an
>> MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows
>> 2000 Server
>>
>> 314106 Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP

Mike Pawlak
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:19:39 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:09:50 -0400, "MAP"
<mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote:

>Agreed,but on the other hand I have been chastised in the past for providing
>a link instead of a long wordy answer, go figure?

Mike,

Your damned when you do and damned when you don't. ;-)
Mike H

remove -bats- to reply
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:24:08 AM

Quick and dirty answer:

Go to Windows/Repair folder
Copy missing .NT files into system32 folder

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:43:05 -0700, "nisem"

!