16 bit windows subsystem error message

I get the following message when I open windows xp and some programs don't
work. I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications.
Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows subsystem error message

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    --
    Peter

    "nisem" <nisem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F441B53-CCB3-469F-AB96-A4AB781D7547@microsoft.com...
    > I get the following message when I open windows xp and some programs don't
    > work. I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
    > The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
    > applications.
    > Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

    SYMPTOMS

    If you try to start or install an MS-DOS-based or a 16-bit Windows-based
    program on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an error message
    that is similar to one of the following:

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

    path to the program that you are trying to start or install

    C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
    MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    application.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

    path to the program that you are trying to start or install

    config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
    Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

    path to the program that you are trying to start or install

    C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running
    MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    application.

    Although you may be prompted to quit the program or ignore the error
    message, either selection makes the program quit.

    Back to the top Back to the top

    CAUSE

    This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing or
    damaged:

    .. Config.nt

    .. Autoexec.nt

    .. Command.com

    Back to the top Back to the top

    RESOLUTION

    To resolve this issue:

    1. Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.

    2. Click Start, and then click Run.

    3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

    4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing
    ENTER after each command:

    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_
    c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

    exit

    5. Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not
    complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next
    step.

    6. Note: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in
    the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand it from your
    Windows XP CD-ROM.

    Start Notepad.

    7. In Notepad, type the following entries:

    dos=high, umb

    device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys

    files=40

    8. On the File menu, click Save As.

    9. In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close
    the Config.nt file.

    10. On the File menu, click New.

    11. In the new blank document, type the following entries:

    @echo off

    lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

    lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir

    lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx

    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

    12. On the File menu, click Save As.

    13. In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close
    the Autoexec.nt file.

    14. Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the
    Config.nt file, and then click Copy.

    15. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click
    Paste.

    16. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and
    then click Copy.

    17. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click
    Paste.

    18. Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com
    file, and then click Copy.

    19. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click
    Paste. Restart your computer.

    If the issue continues to occur, copy the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt files
    from the Repair folder in Windows to the System folder. To do so, follow
    these steps:

    1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then click
    OK.

    2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.

    3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and then click
    OK.

    4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.

    5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied, and then
    click Properties.

    6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.

    7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.

    Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be removed
    after you restart Windows.

    Back to the top Back to the top

    MORE INFORMATION

    For more information about MS-DOS-based programs in Windows, click the
    following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:

    305521 "16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an MS-DOS or
    16-Bit Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server

    314106 Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP

    Back to the top Back to the top

    APPLIES TO

    .. Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    .. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

    Would it not have been easier to just copy\paste the URL by itself

    --
    Peter

    I wondered that myself.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ORWACgqeFHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Would it not have been easier to just copy\paste the URL by itself
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Agreed,but on the other hand I have been chastised in the past for providing
    a link instead of a long wordy answer, go figure?

    Peter Foldes wrote:
> [...]
    >> then click OK.
    >>
    >> 4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.
    >>
    >> 5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied,
    >> and then click Properties.
    >>
    >> 6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.
    >>
    >> 7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.
    >>
    >> Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be
    >> removed after you restart Windows.
    >>
    >> Back to the top Back to the top
    >>
    >> MORE INFORMATION
    >>
    >> For more information about MS-DOS-based programs in Windows, click
    >> the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
    >> Knowledge Base:
    >>
    >> 305521 "16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an
    >> MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows
    >> 2000 Server
    >>
    >> 314106 Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP

    Mike Pawlak

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:09:50 -0400, "MAP"
    <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote:

    >Agreed,but on the other hand I have been chastised in the past for providing
    >a link instead of a long wordy answer, go figure?

    Mike,

    Your damned when you do and damned when you don't. ;-)
    Mike H

    remove -bats- to reply

    Quick and dirty answer:

    Go to Windows/Repair folder
    Copy missing .NT files into system32 folder

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:43:05 -0700, "nisem"
    <nisem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I get the following message when I open windows xp and some programs don't
    >work. I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
    >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
    >The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
    >applications.
    >Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Microsoft Error Message Windows XP