Sign in with
Your question

Inaccessable Boot Device on Install

Last response: in Windows XP
September 3, 2004 12:38:22 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a computer for my grandfather using my old computer (an athlon 1500+ 256meg ram machine). I'm using the hardrives from his old windows 98 box which are each 6 GB. I am able to start the windows XP setup from cdrom but everytime it gets to "Setup is Starting Windows" it ends up halting with a stop error. I looked up the error code and it is the one for "Inaccessible Boot Device". It does this with both of the hard drives. I know both of the hard drives were good yesterday and i highly doubt both would have failed today. I ran ran fdisk on one and removed all partitions then created 1 primary dos partition and formatted it. still getting the same error. Would there be a bios setting that is causing this? Any other idea?

Thanks a lot

Edit: Sorry, windows xp setup (tried both home and pro). Both hard drives are western digital and appear to detect in the bios but i just read an old post about perhaps the "single mode" jumper? I believe I have it set to single mode, is this really different from Master? In any event I am able to repartition/format the drive so does that eliminate the jumper as a suspect? Thanks
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Niroth on 09/03/04 08:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 3, 2004 12:42:02 PM

what OS are you trying to install?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
September 3, 2004 3:30:23 PM

Well this could be a mobo issue also... I would do all bios updates for ya grandpas pc... Reason I think this is becuase it happends with 2 HDDs.. the chances of 2 HDDs being defective are possible.. but... also not too possible.. heheh also check out

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122926

You may have already found that!

Hope this helps

<font color=green>P4 2.4c @ 2.8
Asus P4P800
MSI R9800 Pro 128
1Gb DDR 2700 [Dual Channel]
80Gb WD </font color=green>

<font color=red>"Fo'Shizel Dats a Niceizel Rigizel = Nice Computer! " </font color=red>
!