Help needed to stop pc from freezing, when online.

XP3000 Midi tower Multimedia pc
Atlantis Pro Graphics, TV Tuner Card, 8in1 Card Reader/Writer
USB 2.0, Floppy Drive, DVD-ROM, DVD Writer, NIC, 56K Analogue Modem, 4x USB
2.0.At back & 2x USB 2.0. At front, Firewire, GBLAN Win XP
Home, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse.
Specifications:
MSI KT600 Delta-FISR Socket A Motherboard, Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps NIC,
Raid, Fire wire, Integrated 6.1 Channel Sound, AGP 8X Slots,
6xUSB 2.0. Integrated +2 Optional, VIA Apollo KT600 Chipset, 3x DDR-RAM
Slots (PC 2100/2700/3200, Max 3Gb RAM) AMD Athlon XP 3000 Processor
OEM (Barton) 132.57 109.56
Spire CPU-Fan Whisper Rock IV Socket A SPA04B4 for AMD up to XP 3200MHz
10.77 8.90
1Gb DDR-RAM PC3200 (2X 512Mb DDR-RAM PC3200 CL 2.5 184P)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120Gb S-ATA 8Mb Cache Hard Disk Drives in Raid
1 (Mirror) This has since been changed to Raid 0 (stripping)
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128Mb AGP 8X
TV Tuner Card, 3.5 1.44Mb Floppy Drive
16x DVD ROM, MSI DVD Recorder DR4-A IDE (1X DVD+/-RW, 40xCD/16DVD, 24xCD,
4xDVD-R

If I go into system properties, on the general tab, my pc reads as this: AMD
Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ 1.30 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM.
Can any one tell me why this has change from what is listed above, because
it never read as (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ 1.30GHz) I’m nearly certain for
sure that it read as (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ 1.30GHz) also I do think the
1.30GHz was higher than that, but I can't remember for sure.

My main problem is that whenever I’m online my pc freezes, I don’t have any
problems offline so far, and sometimes it is my USB Aries optical mouse that
freezes first, so I have to use my old Dell mouse which has the old type of
plug on it. Which is fine till the pc freezes. If I put my pc into standby &
pull it out of standby than the Aries mouse is fine, till the next time.
I can be online for a matter of mins or it could be hours before the pc
freezes, there is no set time frame to this as far as I can tell. When this
happens I have to restart the pc. I do get this error popping up now & again:
USBSCAN DEVICELOCONTROL() ERROR CODE DIOERRORCODE=00000079.
I did manage to get this other window, which read: USB Device not recognized
1 of the USB Devices attached to this pc has malfunctioned & windows does not
recognize it. I don’t have any conflicts listed on the systems properties
either. I have also unplugged the Card Reader to see if it was causing this
problem, but the pc is still freezing. The underlined text above I haven’t
seen since I reformatted my pc, I have change the Raid from Raid1 to Raid0,
because I had to keep on synchronizing the Drives all the time, sometimes as
much as 4 times in one day.
Can anyone help me solve these problems that I have, the freezing side is
the most important one to sort out first as I do spent a lot of time on the
web, if I’m in chatting with friends on the IM services, it is a pain to keep
on restarting the pc all the time.

Have you been playing around with overclocking by any chance?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"straypuss" <straypuss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> 1 of the USB Devices attached to this pc has malfunctioned & windows does
> not
> recognize it. I don't have any conflicts listed on the systems properties
> either. I have also unplugged the Card Reader to see if it was causing
> this
> problem, but the pc is still freezing. The underlined text above I haven't
> seen since I reformatted my pc, I have change the Raid from Raid1 to
> Raid0,
> because I had to keep on synchronizing the Drives all the time, sometimes
> as
> much as 4 times in one day.
> Can anyone help me solve these problems that I have, the freezing side is
> the most important one to sort out first as I do spent a lot of time on
> the
> web, if I'm in chatting with friends on the IM services, it is a pain to

no i haven't, i wouldn't know much about that, but i have had this problem
for a long while, that is one of the reasons why i reformatted & changed over
to raid 0 to see if it would help things, but alas it didn't work. I did have
it mention that it could be drivers, but how would one find the driver in
question??

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> [...]
> > 1 of the USB Devices attached to this pc has malfunctioned & windows does
> > not
> > recognize it. I don't have any conflicts listed on the systems properties
> > either. I have also unplugged the Card Reader to see if it was causing
> > this
> > problem, but the pc is still freezing. The underlined text above I haven't
> > seen since I reformatted my pc, I have change the Raid from Raid1 to
> > Raid0,
> > because I had to keep on synchronizing the Drives all the time, sometimes
> > as
> > much as 4 times in one day.
> > Can anyone help me solve these problems that I have, the freezing side is
> > the most important one to sort out first as I do spent a lot of time on
> > the
> > web, if I'm in chatting with friends on the IM services, it is a pain to

Are you, by ant chance, using a USB network adapter? If so, try switching to
a standard PCI plug-in network card.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

> [...]
>> > recognize it. I don't have any conflicts listed on the systems
>> > properties
>> > either. I have also unplugged the Card Reader to see if it was causing
>> > this
>> > problem, but the pc is still freezing. The underlined text above I
>> > haven't
>> > seen since I reformatted my pc, I have change the Raid from Raid1 to
>> > Raid0,
>> > because I had to keep on synchronizing the Drives all the time,
>> > sometimes
>> > as
>> > much as 4 times in one day.
>> > Can anyone help me solve these problems that I have, the freezing side
>> > is
>> > the most important one to sort out first as I do spent a lot of time on
>> > the
>> > web, if I'm in chatting with friends on the IM services, it is a pain

Hi Rich, as far as i know i'm not, here is what is listed on D/manager,
Network Adapters: 1394 net adapter, Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet. i
did have a yellow ? over one of these but it has done now for some reason.
I'm also on dial-up. if there are any more things that you want to know about
i can send them on to you. i'm online after 7.30pm my time ( irish) GMT you
can Im me on ybigmike on yahoo ok. thanks for your time.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Are you, by ant chance, using a USB network adapter? If so, try switching to
> a standard PCI plug-in network card.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "straypuss" <straypuss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > no i haven't, i wouldn't know much about that, but i have had this problem
> > for a long while, that is one of the reasons why i reformatted & changed
> > over
> > to raid 0 to see if it would help things, but alas it didn't work. I did
> > have
> > it mention that it could be drivers, but how would one find the driver in
> > question??
> >
> > "Richard Urban" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you been playing around with overclocking by any chance?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >>
> >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> >>
> >> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >>

> >> "straypuss" <straypuss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Well, at least it isn't the Logitech Desktop Messenger causing Zone Alarm
(vsmon.exe) to crash the computer at 100% CPU thruster.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:23:30 GMT, "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't
Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote:

>Well, at least it isn't the Logitech Desktop Messenger causing Zone Alarm
>(vsmon.exe) to crash the computer at 100% CPU thruster.

If I haven't mentioned it. Have you tried reseating the cards inside the
machine ? Even things with screws come loose, and no card has the contacts
making anything other than surface contact.
Surface contact is more susceptible to corrosion and loose contacts than other
types of contact.

In my experience, a difference between the CPU you have and the CPU the
system identifies deals with the multiplier/clock speed combination. If you
look in your BIOS, the information for your system should be set to AUTO
rather than specified multiplier/etc. Many AMD processors have overclocking
locked out, but many don't. It sounds like your BIOS may be set for a
different clock speed than the one your processor came with. How did this
happen? Without your having made some changes (for example, flashing the
BIOS or changing a motherboard jumper setting or BIOS setting), I don't know.
A damaged CPU or MoBo?