New P4 Wont Boot

I bought part by part, I've built my last PC from ground up (P3), but I came across a few new quirks with this P4 (because I was impatient and didnt read up enough)

Pentium 4 (800 FSB) Motherboard Model D875PBZLK Retail
Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Retail
(both support Hyper Threading)
CORSAIR 512MB PC3200 VALUE SELECT. VS512MB400 DDR RAM - OEM

Now first thing after I installed the processor, heatsink and RAM - I wanted to see if it would boot. Here's my 1st screw up, I was using my same case with a P3 Power Supply and "overlooked" the 12v 4 Pin power connector for the processor - cause my old power supply didnt have a 4 Pin connector.

Press power - all the fans go - power LED goes - nothing else no video - wont even power down when holding power button for 5 seconds. So I read a little and find out I kinda need that 4 Pin power cord connected or else the processor doesnt get power. If I remove the RAM I do get the on-board speaker beeping at me. Did I already fry my board and/or processor?

Either way I order a new power supply.

Antec P4 ATX12V 400 Watt Power Supply

Connect it - hope I'm golden and it does the same thing - powers fans and LED's - no boot - no video. It does now power down if I hold the power button for about 5 secs.

Now reading some more I dont know if my AGP card is a legacy 3.3V or not. Its a VisionTek GeForce 2 Ultra w/ 64 Meg and has 3 cut marks in the AGP Pins to fit into the AGP port fine but I cant remember if its a 1x/2x or 2x/4x. So next I buy another AGP card (and yes I'm running out of money for testing things here)

ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128MB 8X AGP DVI/TV RETAIL

Thats where I am today - still press the power button and everything powers up fine (all fans & LEDs) but still no boot screen.

After reading the motherboard manual I'm wondering about the single channel RAM operation - I've only got 1 stick of DDR RAM (I've tried the A slot of both DIMM 0 and DIMM 1) Does the board require 2 DIMMS?

So what do you guys think? I've reseeded the processor (2x) and RAM stick a few more times, have tried it all connected with the floppy, keyboard, SATA hard drive and CD ROM (just in case it all came up and wanted to work-they do all power up) but still I'm stuck with no boot.

I'm sure I'm not the 1st stubborn jerk to go about installing these wrong, just want to know what you guys think I ruined and unfortunatly noone I know has another P4 PC I can test with.

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about wont boot
  1. Try reseting the CMOS. Read your mobo manual. It should be a jumper that u have to move over 1 pin (then back). pretty close to that anyway.

The loving are the daring!
  2. it sounds like you have had a mobo problem all along...something is very wrong if with 2 diffrent psus the board does not power off...i would return the board...you are using a 4x agp card...

BTW flinx instead of telling people to use a cmos jumper" i just say put the battery in upside-down...it is the universal way to clear any cmos on anyboard...that way if the person has a rare board that has no jumper or a hard one to find...they wont post back saying...what jumper?

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:
  3. Great idea, Nimble Knuckle :lol: !

4. Read the first post in this forum, titled "motherboard faq". Check to see if you have any mounting points in the case grounding spots on the board where no holes exist. Also, try it with the drive cables removed from the board.

Your old card should have been 2x/4x, capable of running either 3.3v or 1.5v signals depending on the board. In your situation that would be 1.5v, automatically.

Also, the 2.4B does run the 533 bus but does NOT support hyperthreading. The only 533 bus CPU to support hyperthreading was the 3.06.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  5. Seems to me you have a mobo/CPU compatibility issue. Your mobo supports 800MHz FSB, but you have a 533MHz FSB CPU. Also, to the best of my limited knowledge, the P4 2.4B doesn't support hyperthreading (I know, I have one myself).

You should look into getting a P4 2.4C or 2.6C, as the 'C' series processors support HT.

**Just checked Intel.com Mobo supports 533FSB, but the CPU does not support hyperthreading...make sure this option is disabled in BIOS.**

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:
    **Finally made Newbie...HAPPY DANCE..HAPPY DANCE..**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sparky853 on 07/31/03 09:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  6. Connect the speaker and listen to the beep codes. this may tell you where the boot is stalling. You can find out what the number of beeps mean on the web depending on your BIOS.

Simleep
  7. Thanks for the input guys. I did mislead some of you as I copy and pasted my processor info wrong - I do have the 2.4C
    Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB

I've tried enough things now that I'm going with the motherbaord as being shot. I'll post again when if I ever get this up and running.

-B
  8. here is something else to consider. thg did a review of several 875 mobo and they found that some mobo's work better w/certain types of ram than others.

also, and i could be wrong here, but it was my understanding that the 865 and 875 chipsets required that ram is installed in pairs, like the old days.
  9. no they are only "required" to install ram in pairs if they want to run dual channel...the computer will run single channel if only 1 dimm is installed...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:
  10. thanks, i'll remember that.
  11. Well I found the trouble was with the memory stick

CORSAIR 512MB PC3200 VALUE SELECT. VS512MB400 DDR RAM - OEM

I bought a cheapy PNY 512MB DDR 333 PC2700 and the board boots right up - all the specs I've read shows DDR400 memory should work

Desktop Board D875PBZ
    Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) - Support for DDR400 and DDR333 SDRAM DIMMs
  12. You didn't have any beep codes?
    If you did you could have told us about them.
    Congrats anyways :smile:

Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards