transfering files

Adam

I have a brand new Gateway computer with XP. I want to get files from my old
computer that has windows 98. I have a crossover cable (RJ-45). Both
computers have ethernet ports. I have tried to set up a network, but it
doesn't seem to work. I have tried the F.A.S.T. program with no luck. I
have run the networking wizards on both and I still don't seem to have a
network created. Obviously I don't know what I am doing? How can I get the
files over. I do not feel comfortable moving the hard drive. Thanks for any
help.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:88021F04-0ED5-4B7C-8343-7943C9EAFE14@microsoft.com,
Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have a brand new Gateway computer with XP. I want to get files
> from my old computer that has windows 98. I have a crossover cable
> (RJ-45). Both computers have ethernet ports. I have tried to set up
> a network, but it doesn't seem to work. I have tried the F.A.S.T.
> program with no luck. I have run the networking wizards on both and
> I still don't seem to have a network created. Obviously I don't know
> what I am doing? How can I get the files over. I do not feel
> comfortable moving the hard drive. Thanks for any help.

Make sure that 98 is joining the same workgroup (MSHOME by default) and set
it's TCP/IP properties (right click and select properties from the network
control panel applet on the TCP/IP) and assign it a static IP of 192.168.0.2
and give XP the address of 192.168.0.1 and be sure to click down into the
subnet section and it fills it in automatically on XP. Should do so on 98
too but it's been a long time since I've networked a 98 PC I'm afraid. If
not someone will know the subnet mask for you.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new Gateway computer with XP. I want to get files from my
>old
> computer that has windows 98. I have a crossover cable (RJ-45). Both
> computers have ethernet ports. I have tried to set up a network, but it
> doesn't seem to work. I have tried the F.A.S.T. program with no luck. I
> have run the networking wizards on both and I still don't seem to have a
> network created. Obviously I don't know what I am doing? How can I get
> the
> files over. I do not feel comfortable moving the hard drive. Thanks for
> any
> help.

http://www.ezlan.net/direct.html should be able to help you get it set up.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Adam

I think that I almost have it, but there are still a few problems. the
windows 98 machine did not automatically fill in the subnet section so I put
the same number that the XP machine had (I don't know if this is a problem or
not.) I ran the network setup wizard on both machines again, but when I try
to access MSHOME it displays the following messag, "Mshome is not accessible.
You might not have permision to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permision. The
list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." Any idea
what is wrong?

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:88021F04-0ED5-4B7C-8343-7943C9EAFE14@microsoft.com,
> Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I have a brand new Gateway computer with XP. I want to get files
> > from my old computer that has windows 98. I have a crossover cable
> > (RJ-45). Both computers have ethernet ports. I have tried to set up
> > a network, but it doesn't seem to work. I have tried the F.A.S.T.
> > program with no luck. I have run the networking wizards on both and
> > I still don't seem to have a network created. Obviously I don't know
> > what I am doing? How can I get the files over. I do not feel
> > comfortable moving the hard drive. Thanks for any help.
>
> Make sure that 98 is joining the same workgroup (MSHOME by default) and set
> it's TCP/IP properties (right click and select properties from the network
> control panel applet on the TCP/IP) and assign it a static IP of 192.168.0.2
> and give XP the address of 192.168.0.1 and be sure to click down into the
> subnet section and it fills it in automatically on XP. Should do so on 98
> too but it's been a long time since I've networked a 98 PC I'm afraid. If
> not someone will know the subnet mask for you.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Malke

Adam wrote:

> I think that I almost have it, but there are still a few problems. the
> windows 98 machine did not automatically fill in the subnet section so
> I put the same number that the XP machine had (I don't know if this is
> a problem or
> not.) I ran the network setup wizard on both machines again, but when
> I try to access MSHOME it displays the following messag, "Mshome is
> not accessible.
> You might not have permision to use this network resource. Contact
> the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permision.
> The
> list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." Any
> idea what is wrong?
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:88021F04-0ED5-4B7C-8343-7943C9EAFE14@microsoft.com,
>> Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> > I have a brand new Gateway computer with XP. I want to get files
>> > from my old computer that has windows 98. I have a crossover cable
>> > (RJ-45). Both computers have ethernet ports. I have tried to set
>> > up
>> > a network, but it doesn't seem to work. I have tried the F.A.S.T.
>> > program with no luck. I have run the networking wizards on both
>> > and
>> > I still don't seem to have a network created. Obviously I don't
>> > know
>> > what I am doing? How can I get the files over. I do not feel
>> > comfortable moving the hard drive. Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Make sure that 98 is joining the same workgroup (MSHOME by default)
>> and set it's TCP/IP properties (right click and select properties
>> from the network control panel applet on the TCP/IP) and assign it a
>> static IP of 192.168.0.2 and give XP the address of 192.168.0.1 and
>> be sure to click down into the subnet section and it fills it in
>> automatically on XP. Should do so on 98 too but it's been a long time
>> since I've networked a 98 PC I'm afraid. If not someone will know the
>> subnet mask for you.

It is not necessary for computers in a workgroup to be members of the
same workgroup to share files. The error message that the OP is
receiving indicates the possibility that he has not set the XP firewall
to accept the lan as trusted in the Exceptions tab. Adam, on your
Gateway machine make sure you have allowed File & Printer Sharing. I'm
assuming the new machine is running XP Home, but if it has Pro on it
then make a user account/password that matches the one on the Windows
98 box.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I think that I almost have it, but there are still a few problems. the
>windows 98 machine did not automatically fill in the subnet section so I put
>the same number that the XP machine had (I don't know if this is a problem or
>not.) I ran the network setup wizard on both machines again, but when I try
>to access MSHOME it displays the following messag, "Mshome is not accessible.
> You might not have permision to use this network resource. Contact the
>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permision. The
>list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." Any idea
>what is wrong?

On the Windows 98 Machine

1. In Control Panel - Networks add the service:

"File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"

2. After rebooting open My Computer, right click on the icon for C:
drive, select Sharing, and enable sharing for the drive with full
rights.

3. Create a folder named C:\Transfer

4. Run the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard and tell it to save the
results in C:\Transfer.

On the Windows XP Machine

1. Add a Network Place for the C: drive of the Windows 98 Machine and
assign it a drive letter (I will use M: for example)

2. Run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and tell it to import
the data from the M:\Transfer folder.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--