a7n8x-dlx, nforce drivers and sp1

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
What's the proper installation sequence?

Windows XP, sp1, nForce drivers, directx9.0b and finally the latest detonator drivers?

I'd like to hear your opinions...
Thanks.

/\/\ito

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I believe you are correct: WinXP, SP1, nForce Drivers (don't download the drivers from Nvidia but use the ones on the CD), DirectX 9.0b, Graphics Card Drivers

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
don't download the drivers from Nvidia but use the ones on the CD
This is not neccesary correct. If you are doing a clean installation, you can use either manufacturer driver or nVidia reference driver. If you have manufacturer driver installed then you should stick to manufacturer driver because, at least is confirmed on Asus A7N8X series that Asus have their driver tweaked. But if you have the nVidia reference driver installed, then you should always use the nVidia reference driver. This can reduce the problems you may have in the future.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Are you sure about that?
Doesn't Windows XP install usb2 drivers? Or is USB2 newer than win xp?

Thanks.

/\/\ito

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
hmm what im i talking about ??? Its the other way around. U need to install Service Pack 1 before attempting to install USB 2.0. If u dont it will result in inability to support USB 2.0.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Always a good idea to install the OS, then the mobo drivers, then the service packs, then either the drivers/direct x.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

pat

Expert
Drivers for USB 2.0 are in SP1. so you install sp1 and if they are noy detected , just update drivers in device manager and it will find them by itself, dont need to specify any location.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I do not intend to reformat my HD. I'll just wipe out c:\windows and c:\program files and leave intact "My documents" and c:\games. After installing everything then I'll do a full and well deserved defragmentation. I'm sure my disk is ok and has no bad blocks.

Thanks for your ideas.

/\/\ito