Administrator Login Problem

June 28, 2005 1:04:05 PM

It seems that I have been operating as an Administrator on my computer for a
few months now. I'd like to setup a seperate user account but still keep all
my documents, files, etc. that I have within my Admin account. Is this
possible? Is there any risk of running as an Admin all the time? I read
something about Trojan horses and this worried me. I've setup another user
account but when I login under it I lose all my Outlook Express emails, my
documents and all my personal settings. Does this make any sense? It just
happened this morning after I changed settings yesterday. When I use to boot
up in the morning it would just log to my desktop but now it goes to the
welcome screen and it doesn't give me an option to choose who to login as,
other then guest, unless I boot in safe mode.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:46:03 PM

Hi Jon..

For the Windows party line on this, click on START | HELP AND SUPPORT. Type
in "COMPUTER ADMINISTRATOR" in the search field and hit GO. That;s probably
where you heard about this?

Yes.. You should probably use a non-administrator user if you can. (I've
found some programs aren't 'happy" unless they are run by administrators)
After the new user is created, log on as it and then back off.. Then, log
on as administrator and go into the DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS folder. Open up
the My documents in your administrator user and copy the documents to the My
documents folder for your new user. That should transfer your documents. so
they will be there for your new user.

Your computer settings are different from user to user so you'll probably
have to set those all up again.

You should try making your new user a ''power user". That is kind of in
between an administrator and limited user and mayy solve some of your
problems. To do this, open up control panel. switch to "classic view" and
start up administrative tools and then "computer management". Open up "Local
users and groups". CLick on power users and add your new user to it.

Hopefully this will help out?

"Jon" wrote:

> It seems that I have been operating as an Administrator on my computer for a
> few months now. I'd like to setup a seperate user account but still keep all
> my documents, files, etc. that I have within my Admin account. Is this
> possible? Is there any risk of running as an Admin all the time? I read
> something about Trojan horses and this worried me. I've setup another user
> account but when I login under it I lose all my Outlook Express emails, my
> documents and all my personal settings. Does this make any sense? It just
> happened this morning after I changed settings yesterday. When I use to boot
> up in the morning it would just log to my desktop but now it goes to the
> welcome screen and it doesn't give me an option to choose who to login as,
> other then guest, unless I boot in safe mode.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance!

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:27:40 AM

Copy a User Profile:

Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.

In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.
Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name. Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.

Note: You cannot copy to/from the account you are logged onto.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A607B903-843F-469B-B0A9-C1DCB47AF0AD@microsoft.com...
> It seems that I have been operating as an Administrator on my computer for a
> few months now. I'd like to setup a seperate user account but still keep all
> my documents, files, etc. that I have within my Admin account. Is this
> possible? Is there any risk of running as an Admin all the time? I read
> something about Trojan horses and this worried me. I've setup another user
> account but when I login under it I lose all my Outlook Express emails, my
> documents and all my personal settings. Does this make any sense? It just
> happened this morning after I changed settings yesterday. When I use to boot
> up in the morning it would just log to my desktop but now it goes to the
> welcome screen and it doesn't give me an option to choose who to login as,
> other then guest, unless I boot in safe mode.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance!

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:11:27 PM

Since some programs aren't "happy" unless they are run by administrators,
and if you have firewall and anti-virus software that is kept updated and
active, what is the problem with using the computer from just the
administrator account? My computer is only used by me and my husband so I
didn't even set up different "user accounts" when I set up the computer.
I've only had it for 3 weeks so it probably wouldn't be a problem to change
to "user accounts" but it is just more convenient to use as is, that way we
don't have to switch back and forth between users every time. Any real
danger? Thanks for thoughts and comments.

!