Ghosts in my room

Oggie

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
Something mighty weird is going on. As I posted earlier my mobo "died" about a month ago after repasting my CPU. It just refused to switch on. Tried it with other psu's etc. and repair shop said sorry - dead. I was content with that (after all - old mobo Asus A7V kt133). Then while waiting to purchase new one a7N8X DELUXE, brought in old gigabyte temporarily. That did not swich on either. Took it to repair shop - it worked fine. Took it back, worked again (not at my home). Then wondered whether other dead mobo might work and funnily enough it did. Bought new psu. Back home. Mount on panel. Works in vertical position, not in horizontal (no video signal, powers fans). Then after 3 hours of playing with it - back to it's normal non-powering self. Back to work. Everything works fine- horizontal, vertical, all psu etc. (Of course I tried on panel, off panel) I can't explain this guys and I'm plain fed up with it.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sounds like you've got a short somewhere. How are you fixing the mobo to the case? Probably the mobo is grounding against the case somewhere.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

Oggie

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
Yes but on the floor / on the table it works...randomly. Probably a bad new chinese 300W PSU for $6.50
It's probably a really bad case of too many things happening at the same time. A few times just as I got the thing working, I put it in the box, it worked, plugged in everything else (hdd,fdd,cdroms) and nothing. That should be the crap PSU in action.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sounds like it could well be the PSU. Buy an Antec or Enermax (if you have loads of money) or a fortron (if you're a bit cheap) something around the 450W range should be good for the future too..

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.