Dan_Gomez

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
hi.
just done installing my new Abit NF7 mobo, fitted with an Athlon XP2600+.

everything's OK, except for these:
1. i have two 256mb 400mhz DDR's, on the dual DDR slots. why does it detect DDR333 ?
2. pressing the power button causes a reset!
this isnt cords mis-placing - Abit has this on their FAQ, but their solution (reseting the CMOS) doesnt help.

help anyone?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Your Athlon XP is running at 166 FSB. So DDR333 is enough...

But try to raise in the BIOS the FSB to 200 MHz and don'T forget to downclock your CPU (lower the multiplier). Your CPU is 2.13 GHz, so use a multiplier of 10.5 (200 x 10.5 = 2.1GHz). And reboot! Tadam! Does this works??? If you can boot and install Windows without any problem, you've overclock your FSB to 200MHz without a major problem!

And for the RESET/POWER : You probably just not connected correctly your power/reset little cable... You know the tiny cable between your case and MB.

Another note : upgrade your BIOS to see the DUAL CHANNEL activation message on boot!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheRod on 07/31/03 03:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dan_Gomez

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
about the overclocking - thanks, i'll try that.
about the power switch - nope. nothing works.

i've just upgraded my bios, and now nothing seems to work right at all - cant boot from CD, no Dual channel message, hangs on saving BIOS...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
switch the power and reset switches...maybe it is mislabeled?

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
get a small flathead screw driver...remove the little connector from the Power switch connector (labeled POWER SW on most mobos)...short the 2 pins to one another with the screw driver...when you remove the screwdriver the computer should turn on...If this works fine then your power switch is at fault...if it resets then you mobo or powersupply are at fault...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003
Try messing with the wake computer settings in the bios. I had that same problem with my 8ihxp, granted its intel, but still its worth a look. Cant remember what i switch exactly but it was wake on lan/modem somethin like that. Or you could try what the on/off switch actually is setup to do in the bios(my board had that two). gL

I like the ease of intel systems.
I like the fun of overclocking amd systems.
That must make me mulatto or something.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
For the BIOS update.... You must use the right BIOS image. There is different NF7 BIOS image. Get the right one. Check the Revision of your NF7 board and the white UPC sticker on your board. You will see 1.x or 2.0. then get the right BIOS from the Web site.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?