Moving Win XP Pro from one desktop to another

Jim

The windows xp professional EULA has a statement in it that says you can
move the software internally from one workstation to another, provided
you completely delete XP Pro from the first. However, the activation
description I read would make you belive that you can't delete it from
one computer and install it on another as the activation code is
previously registered on the old machine.
I want to delete my WIN XP Pro from an old HP Pavilion and put the
pavilion back to it's original win 98se. I then want to install my XP
PRO on my newer desktop to replace WIN2K. It looks like if I do that I
am withing the EULA of only having it installed on one machine at a
time. Is what I want to do possible? Can I call Microsoft and explain
what I need to do and have them delete the first activation from their
database? If not, how can I remove it from one machine and put it on
another? Does anyone have the phone number or e-mail address where I
can ask microsoft?
Thanks,
Jim Kennedy
LT USN(Ret)

Jim;
There is no problem as long as Windows XP is retail and not OEM.
Simply remove Windows XP from the first computer and install on the second.

Attempt internet activation, if that fails, choose the option to activate by
phone.
Call Microsoft at the displayed number, normally done in about 5 minutes.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar