xp pro activation problems

I had an evaluation copy of xp pro on my pc. I liked it enough to buy the
full version online. At the same time I started having hardware problems and
ended up replacing a hard drive. After a week of tinkering with things that
are beyond me, like BIOS, CMOS settings, I was finally able to load my copy
of xp pro. When I tried to activate, they said I may have a pirated copy.
Now I know anyone can shrinkwrap a software package, but my disk appears to
be legit. The vendor appears to have sent me an OEM copy with some hardware.

Is there any way to activate my copy with a human? The by phone and by
internet options run into dead ends. It appears MS does not want to deal with
me because of the OEM status.
--
fiveof6
2 answers Last reply

    Hi

    Microsoft do not support OEM versions of XP. You will have to contact your
    supplier to see if they can help you.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "fiveof6" <fiveof6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had an evaluation copy of xp pro on my pc. I liked it enough to buy the
    > full version online. At the same time I started having hardware problems
    > and
    > ended up replacing a hard drive. After a week of tinkering with things
    > that
    > are beyond me, like BIOS, CMOS settings, I was finally able to load my
    > copy
    > of xp pro. When I tried to activate, they said I may have a pirated copy.
    > Now I know anyone can shrinkwrap a software package, but my disk appears
    > be legit. The vendor appears to have sent me an OEM copy with some
    > hardware.
    >
    > Is there any way to activate my copy with a human? The by phone and by
    > internet options run into dead ends. It appears MS does not want to deal
    > with
    > me because of the OEM status.
    > --
    > fiveof6

    "fiveof6" <fiveof6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had an evaluation copy of xp pro on my pc. I liked it enough to buy the
    > full version online. At the same time I started having hardware problems
    > and
    > ended up replacing a hard drive. After a week of tinkering with things
    > that
    > are beyond me, like BIOS, CMOS settings, I was finally able to load my
    > copy
    > of xp pro. When I tried to activate, they said I may have a pirated copy.
    > Now I know anyone can shrinkwrap a software package, but my disk appears
    > be legit. The vendor appears to have sent me an OEM copy with some
    > hardware.
    >
    > Is there any way to activate my copy with a human? The by phone and by
    > internet options run into dead ends. It appears MS does not want to deal
    > with
    > me because of the OEM status.

    check to see if you have a genuine copy of Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/windows/default.mspx

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "fiveof6" <fiveof6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had an evaluation copy of xp pro on my pc. I liked it enough to buy the
    > full version online. At the same time I started having hardware problems
    > and
    > ended up replacing a hard drive. After a week of tinkering with things
    > that
    > are beyond me, like BIOS, CMOS settings, I was finally able to load my
    > copy
    > of xp pro. When I tried to activate, they said I may have a pirated copy.
    > Now I know anyone can shrinkwrap a software package, but my disk appears
    > be legit. The vendor appears to have sent me an OEM copy with some
    > hardware.
    >
    > Is there any way to activate my copy with a human? The by phone and by
    > internet options run into dead ends. It appears MS does not want to deal
    > with
    > me because of the OEM status.
    > --
    > fiveof6