New to xp and have ?? regarding disk defrag.
WHY does it take 4-5x more time to run defrag on this xp system compared to
my 98's?
I run defrag 1x a week on all system. The 98's take 10-15 minutes or so. The
shortest time the xp has taken is 50 with most times running well over an
hour.
All three have 40gig HD, the older 98's are ~75% full while the xp is only
~25%.
On the 98's. I can turn off "check disk for errors" which, if it's on will
cause them to take forever but don't know if the xp run disk scan or not.

L.

Thanks for the info.
So, it would be a "better" idea to run defrag when you don't need the system
for an hour or so (lunch, etc.,etc.).

Again, thank,

L.

"" wrote:
> New to xp and have ?? regarding disk defrag.
> WHY does it take 4-5x more time to run defrag on this xp
> system compared to
> my 98's?
> I run defrag 1x a week on all system. The 98's take 10-15
> minutes or so. The
> shortest time the xp has taken is 50 with most times running
> well over an
> hour.
> All three have 40gig HD, the older 98's are ~75% full while
> the xp is only
> ~25%.
> On the 98's. I can turn off "check disk for errors" which, if
> it's on will
> cause them to take forever but don't know if the xp run disk
> scan or not.
>
> L.

I personally prefer the third party tools which are faster than
Windows Disk defragmenter, also coz there no need to do it manually,
they check and defrag when needed, in the background even while the
computer is being used.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Disk-Defrag-ftopict551691.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757512