need for software firewall

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 14, 2004 9:23:01 PM

I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

Bradley

More about : software firewall

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 12:41:14 AM

"bradley" <bleckb3@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D 0c63703.0409141623.727c7d7c@posting.google.com...
> I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
> software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
> zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
> don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Bradley

You DO need a software firewall in addition to the firewall protection of a
router with NAT. The software firewall will stop viruses and trojans from
"phoning home" or otherwise operating from your PC.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

---
September 15, 2004 4:31:02 AM

Provided that you have secured your wireless connection, a firewall is
probably unnecessary for your PC as the router should have sufficient
firewall capabilities. However, if you have not secured your wireless
connection (authentication and encryption, you are open to people around
your house getting on to your network. They will be just like any other
computer on your local network. The router firewall will protect you from
internet users, but not intranet users such as wireless connections.

Be sure that you have secured your router firewall. A good site for testing
is www.grc.com. Go to the Shields Up section and run the port scan.

Jeff

"bradley" <bleckb3@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D 0c63703.0409141623.727c7d7c@posting.google.com...
> I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
> software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
> zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
> don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Bradley
September 15, 2004 4:48:11 AM

bradley <bleckb3@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
> software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
> zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
> don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Is this a laptop? Might you ever take this laptop out and connect to a
public hotspot, free or otherwise?
You certainly want a firewall there.

Is your wireless LAN secure? Anyone that connects on "your" side of the
hardware firewall, including a wireless connection, is on "your" side of
the firewall. I'd like those blocked.

Why did you stop using ZoneAlarm?

--
---
September 15, 2004 5:42:41 AM

bleckb3@comcast.net (bradley) wrote in
news:D 0c63703.0409141623.727c7d7c@posting.google.com:

> I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
> software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
> zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
> don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The point about connecting a laptop to another system when traveling is an
important one. There is also the risk of accidentally connecting to
another system without your awareness - I recall talking with someone who
did not know his Internet access was out until his wife told him she had
lost Internet access - his laptop had simply connnected to a neighbor's
unprotected wireless access. For such reasons, I think it is particularly
foolish not to have a software firewall on a wireless connection. Of
course, there is also the issue of not having any outgoing protection on
any computer without its own software firewall.

--
Tom McCune
September 15, 2004 9:53:30 PM

dold@XReXXneedX.usenet.us.com wrote in message

> Why did you stop using ZoneAlarm?

I stopped using zonealarm when I bought the router and started using
its software firewall. I've actually switched back since the other
software was causing the internet access to slow way down.

Bradley
!