need for software firewall

I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

Bradley
5 answers Last reply
More about need software firewall

    "bradley" <bleckb3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
    > software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
    > zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
    > don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bradley

    You DO need a software firewall in addition to the firewall protection of a
    router with NAT. The software firewall will stop viruses and trojans from
    "phoning home" or otherwise operating from your PC.

    --
    Bob Alston

    bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

    ---

    Provided that you have secured your wireless connection, a firewall is
    probably unnecessary for your PC as the router should have sufficient
    firewall capabilities. However, if you have not secured your wireless
    connection (authentication and encryption, you are open to people around
    your house getting on to your network. They will be just like any other
    computer on your local network. The router firewall will protect you from
    internet users, but not intranet users such as wireless connections.

    Be sure that you have secured your router firewall. A good site for testing
    is www.grc.com. Go to the Shields Up section and run the port scan.

    Jeff

    "bradley" <bleckb3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
    > software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
    > zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
    > don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bradley

    bradley <bleckb3@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
    > software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
    > zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
    > don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Is this a laptop? Might you ever take this laptop out and connect to a
    public hotspot, free or otherwise?
    You certainly want a firewall there.

    Is your wireless LAN secure? Anyone that connects on "your" side of the
    hardware firewall, including a wireless connection, is on "your" side of
    the firewall. I'd like those blocked.

    Why did you stop using ZoneAlarm?

    --
    ---

    bleckb3@comcast.net (bradley) wrote in

    > I'm running a netgear mr814v2 wireless router. Do I need to run a
    > software firewall as well? Previously, when wired, I was running
    > zonealarm. The router came with netfreedom or some such thing, which I
    > don't much care for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    The point about connecting a laptop to another system when traveling is an
    important one. There is also the risk of accidentally connecting to
    another system without your awareness - I recall talking with someone who
    did not know his Internet access was out until his wife told him she had
    lost Internet access - his laptop had simply connnected to a neighbor's
    unprotected wireless access. For such reasons, I think it is particularly
    foolish not to have a software firewall on a wireless connection. Of
    course, there is also the issue of not having any outgoing protection on
    any computer without its own software firewall.

    --
    Tom McCune

    dold@XReXXneedX.usenet.us.com wrote in message

    > Why did you stop using ZoneAlarm?

    I stopped using zonealarm when I bought the router and started using
    its software firewall. I've actually switched back since the other
    software was causing the internet access to slow way down.

    Bradley

Wireless Router Firewalls Software Wireless Networking