Is this a good rig for $1000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're willing to build a computer yourself (which I recommend), start by answering these questions (copy & paste here) so that we know what you want to do with the computer: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

If you just want to play games, then start at the graphics card and compromise on everything else from there. I recommend an i5-2500K for gaming. Btw, do you live near Micro Center?

Also, if you can wait to build, Intel is launching a new CPU line in April and AMD is currently rolling out a line of new graphics cards.

Lastly (although very important), do you live near a Micro Center?

iJoseeeph

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Approximate Purchase Date:Marchish
Budget Range: 800-1000
System Usage from Most to Least Important:Gaming, Internet Surfing, school
Parts Not Required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Operating System
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, MicroCenter, tiger direct
Parts Preferences: A good brand
Overclocking: 100% NO
SLI or Crossfire: whats this?
Monitor Resolution: 1920x 1080

Out of curiousity--is there any reason you're so opposed to overclocking?

If you want to purchase in "Marchish", make it April and you'll get to pick from Intel's new line of CPUs. You'll also get the full new Radeon 7000 series line and possibly some GeForce 600 series. At the very least, it'll get you a 20% better system for the same dollar.

PM me when you come back and start a thread closer to your build date (~two weeks in advance). I still think you could stand to start picking up things like your PSU and case though.

If you've got a Micro Center near your house, plan to pick up your CPU with a motherboard discount there.

SLI or Crossfire refers to multiple graphics cards from GeForce or Radeon, respectively.

Also, what system do you game on currently? I'm curious what you'd be comparing a new build's performance to. Sometimes people are upgrading from a Pentium 4 and 8600GT (or an Xbox 360) and we're talking a >10x performance boost so I need a little bit for a frame of reference.

iJoseeeph

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Sounds good thanks :), If it doesn't bother you too much, could you possibly just make the whole computer for me :), I'm 13 making my first gaming computer and I don't know half the stuff I'm doing so yeah haha..

Yeah, I have no problem with picking all the parts, but you may still want a brand new thread using that "New Build Advice" link to involve as many people as possible looking for deals.

So you're gonna go wait 'til April? PM me when you start your new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.