Unknown process interrupting

I have installed XP Pro with SP2.(Been running 98SE for years without a
hitch before)
It works OK apart from an annoying problem.
The problem is that some unknown process takes control of the computer
for a period of anywhere between 2 to 30 seconds at random intervals
regardless what other application I may be running. The mouse freezes
and everything seems to stop.
If I have the speakers on then there is an audible warning at the start
and end of the unknown process.
Stopped every non MS process from running, no luck. Started up in safe
mode, still no joy.
Ran antivirus, spyware software, there is nothing I can find.
Help Please! 10-30 sec is a long time in computing!!!

--
lomaca

Try leaving Task Manager open to the Processes tab and having it stay on top
- yes, it's a pain, but you'll be able to see which process is grabbing all
the memory and we can work from there.

"lomaca" wrote:

> I have installed XP Pro with SP2.(Been running 98SE for years without a
> hitch before)
> It works OK apart from an annoying problem.
> The problem is that some unknown process takes control of the computer
> for a period of anywhere between 2 to 30 seconds at random intervals
> regardless what other application I may be running. The mouse freezes
> and everything seems to stop.
> If I have the speakers on then there is an audible warning at the start
> and end of the unknown process.
> Stopped every non MS process from running, no luck. Started up in safe
> mode, still no joy.
> Ran antivirus, spyware software, there is nothing I can find.
> Help Please! 10-30 sec is a long time in computing!!!
>

> --
> lomaca

map

lomaca wrote:
> I have installed XP Pro with SP2.(Been running 98SE for years without
> a hitch before)
> It works OK apart from an annoying problem.
> The problem is that some unknown process takes control of the computer
> for a period of anywhere between 2 to 30 seconds at random intervals
> regardless what other application I may be running. The mouse freezes
> and everything seems to stop.
> If I have the speakers on then there is an audible warning at the
> start and end of the unknown process.
> Stopped every non MS process from running, no luck. Started up in safe
> mode, still no joy.
> Ran antivirus, spyware software, there is nothing I can find.
> Help Please! 10-30 sec is a long time in computing!!!

Indexing service?Maybe.

--
Mike Pawlak