Batch file under Windows XP ???

I run a specific batch file at startup that attempts to copy a file to
replace one that is under control of a running program. I get the message
"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process." How do I successfully write the file? I know that the way you
are supposed to do it is to close the program, make the transfer then
restart the program. But how do you do that when you don't know the program
and you don't know how it starts in the first place.

Don J

Here is a link to a utility you can use to find out which process has a
particular file open:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Or you could start the machine in safe mode (press F8 during bootup).

"Don J" wrote:

> I run a specific batch file at startup that attempts to copy a file to
> replace one that is under control of a running program. I get the message
> "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
> process." How do I successfully write the file? I know that the way you
> are supposed to do it is to close the program, make the transfer then
> restart the program. But how do you do that when you don't know the program
> and you don't know how it starts in the first place.
>
> Don J

See my response to your earlier post.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Don J" <dej8800@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I run a specific batch file at startup that attempts to copy a file to
> replace one that is under control of a running program. I get the message
> "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
> process." How do I successfully write the file? I know that the way you
> are supposed to do it is to close the program, make the transfer then
> restart the program. But how do you do that when you don't know the
> program
> and you don't know how it starts in the first place.
>
> Don J

I know which program has the file open. But what do you do about it, when
the program has been loaded at startup and you don't know how to stop it and
then restart it.

Don J

"The Firestarter" <TheFirestarter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E640B2B4-B48D-4F81-8BFE-618BF6E5D7C7@microsoft.com...

> Here is a link to a utility you can use to find out which process has a
> particular file open:
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
>
> Or you could start the machine in safe mode (press F8 during bootup).
>

> "Don J" wrote:
>
>> I run a specific batch file at startup that attempts to copy a file to
>> replace one that is under control of a running program. I get the
>> message
>> "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
>> process." How do I successfully write the file? I know that the way
>> you
>> are supposed to do it is to close the program, make the transfer then
>> restart the program. But how do you do that when you don't know the
>> program
>> and you don't know how it starts in the first place.
>>
>> Don J

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

I suggest you stop the program from loading at startup and that you modify
your batch file to first do the copy and then launch the program. The
program may be launching from any of several places (startup group, registry
run keys, etc.) If you're not sure how to disable it's current launch on
startup use Startup Control Panel from http://www.mlin.net/