necromancer

Last response: in Video Games
July 15, 2005 1:42:37 PM

Gidday,

I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull info
If somebody knows good links name them pls

Thanks in advance

Greetings,

Newslord

More about : necromancer

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:42:38 PM

"Newslord" <newslord@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Gidday,
>
> I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro.

The ultimate necro for what? Rushing, MFing, beating the game,
dueling...they're not all the same.

> Information about statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons

All of that can vary signifigantly depending on the build you choose and
what your goals are.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:06:19 PM

In article <ju5kq2-3c4.ln1@apschip.schipnet>,
Newslord <newslord@invalid.com> wrote:

>I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
>statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull info
>If somebody knows good links name them pls
>
>Thanks in advance

Goodle this group, and alt.games.diablo2 for 'necro'. Many people,
including myself, have typed this out too many times to do it again.

You're welcome,

Patrick.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:38:39 PM

Newslord held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
ju5kq2-3c4.ln1@apschip.schipnet to this Interweb chatroom:

> Gidday,
>
> I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
> statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull
> info If somebody knows good links name them pls

Mickey to the white courtesy phone please.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:24:26 PM

www.battle.net has a forum designated to skills and character builds.
You'll find some very informative posts on builds and FAQs. Here's a
link to the forum.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=d2-skills&t...

Highlander

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:42:37 +0200, Newslord <newslord@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Gidday,
>
>I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
>statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull info
>If somebody knows good links name them pls
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Greetings,
>
>Newslord
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:33:55 PM

Newslord wrote:
> Gidday,
>
> I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
> statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull info
> If somebody knows good links name them pls
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Greetings,
>
> Newslord

I like the "Babysitter" necro myself--20 pts in revive and summon
nothing but fallen and carvers. Not really effective, but kinda cute
to look at.

: )
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:02:23 PM

wrote:

>I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
>statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull info

Do you have or can get Marrowalks?

-- Roy L
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:17:02 AM

royls@telus.net wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:42:37 +0200, Newslord <newslord@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
>>statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull info
>

> Do you have or can get Marrowalks?
>
> -- Roy L

Hi Roy,

No still haven't found them yet, neither trang girth and guise still
need them and looking for them
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:53:30 PM

"Chris Lansdell" <lansdellicious@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:p mMBe.61401$Ph4.1844892@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Newslord held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
> ju5kq2-3c4.ln1@apschip.schipnet to this Interweb chatroom:
>
> > Gidday,
> >
> > I need some advice howto build the ultimate necro. Information about
> > statpoints, skillpoints, what armour, weapons and all other usefull
> > info If somebody knows good links name them pls
> >
> Mickey to the white courtesy phone please.

Coming:

OK, the ultimate necro is the meatgrinder. He is a hybrid necro.

You pump CE so that it gets over level 20 (with +skills gear).
You max skeletons
You max skel mastery
You drop a few points into revives
Everything else into either bone spearor bonespirit
You get a rabbi (prayer merc, act2) and give him an insight stick
You drop about 30 points or so into energy, take STR to either 60 or 110 (if
you have marrowwalks)
Everything else into VIT

And presto, you have a meatgrinder :)

Mickey
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:37:32 AM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:53:30 -0400, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>
wrote:

>> "Chris Lansdell" <lansdellicious@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:p mMBe.61401$Ph4.1844892@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>> > Newslord held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
>> > ju5kq2-3c4.ln1@apschip.schipnet to this Interweb chatroom:

>> > Mickey to the white courtesy phone please.
>>
>> Coming:
>>
>> OK, the ultimate necro is the meatgrinder. He is a hybrid necro.
>>
>> You pump CE so that it gets over level 20 (with +skills gear).
>> You max skeletons
>> You max skel mastery
>> You drop a few points into revives
>> Everything else into either bone spearor bonespirit
>> You get a rabbi (prayer merc, act2) and give him an insight stick
>> You drop about 30 points or so into energy, take STR to either 60 or 110 (if
>> you have marrowwalks)
>> Everything else into VIT
>>
>> And presto, you have a meatgrinder :)
>>
>> Mickey

1 into Amp Damage, 1 into Decrepify, and 0-20 into Dim Vision.

The point in Decrepify can be avoided if you decide on a wand or voodoo
head with that skill given free, likewise the point(s) in Revive.

add: 1 point in clay golem, and golem mastery (the mud-head is very
useful with bosses) and 1 in Summon Resists (so your skellies last
longer against critters like Diablo).
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:37:33 AM

"Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:p i3rd1t3bprc1b4lpgf12d32a2pd8qmj52@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:53:30 -0400, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >> "Chris Lansdell" <lansdellicious@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:p mMBe.61401$Ph4.1844892@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

> >> Coming:
> >>
> >> OK, the ultimate necro is the meatgrinder. He is a hybrid necro.
> >>
> >> You pump CE so that it gets over level 20 (with +skills gear).
> >> You max skeletons
> >> You max skel mastery
> >> You drop a few points into revives
> >> Everything else into either bone spearor bonespirit
> >> You get a rabbi (prayer merc, act2) and give him an insight stick
> >> You drop about 30 points or so into energy, take STR to either 60 or
110 (if
> >> you have marrowwalks)
> >> Everything else into VIT
> >>
> >> And presto, you have a meatgrinder :)
> >>
> >> Mickey
>
> 1 into Amp Damage, 1 into Decrepify, and 0-20 into Dim Vision.
>
> The point in Decrepify can be avoided if you decide on a wand or voodoo
> head with that skill given free, likewise the point(s) in Revive.
>
> add: 1 point in clay golem, and golem mastery (the mud-head is very
> useful with bosses) and 1 in Summon Resists (so your skellies last
> longer against critters like Diablo).

Oh yes,and one point in Fire Golem as well... he the best weapon against
gloams and other lightning chuckers.

Mickey
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:15:36 AM

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> Mickey wrote:
> > "Chris Lansdell" <lansdellicious@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Mickey to the white courtesy phone please.
> >
> > Coming:
> >
> > OK, the ultimate necro is the meatgrinder. He is a hybrid necro.
> >
> > You pump CE so that it gets over level 20 (with +skills gear).
> > You max skeletons
> > You max skel mastery
> > You drop a few points into revives
> > Everything else into either bone spearor bonespirit
> > You get a rabbi (prayer merc, act2) and give him an insight stick
> > You drop about 30 points or so into energy, take STR to either 60 or
> > 110 (if you have marrowwalks)
> > Everything else into VIT
> >
> > And presto, you have a meatgrinder :)
>
> I've seen you use the term "Meatgrinder" to describe a necro and wondered
> if/how he was different to my builds. Thanks for the quick description.
It's
> not *that* far off how I build my necros now with a couple of notable
> exceptions, especially as I'm playing HC almost exculsively now. (Thanks
> Ruben, Bongo and Orion. <g>)
>
> I use a might merc and find that, even with RS and SM in the 30+ range my
> skellys just take forever to kill anything if the merc dies to IM (the
only
> thing that kills him). Just for the hell of it, and to stop repeated trips
> to town, I've cleared the CS and WSK3/Throneroom without him. It seems to
> take at least five times as long. Possibly as, by my estimate, the merc is
> responsible for 50% of the kills. However, the skellys seem quite impotent
> without the might aura. It's also quite noticable when I revive the merc
and
> he hasn't turned his aura yet. This is, of course, in hell.
>
> The other thing is, with Insight, I don't go above base energy and, once I
> have an Insight stick on the merc, I *never* run out if mana. Even
> constantly spamming CE or Bone Spirit never sees my blue ball go below a
> third (worse-case). This is even with a bad Insight roll, only level 12-14
> Meditation. The most difficult thing about doing it this way is being low
on
> mana until you have a level 27 merc able to hold an Insight poleaxe.
>
> Also, the other difference, I get to around level 15 CE (with +skills) and
> put a bunch of points in Bone Wall as it synergieses both my attack (bone
> spear or spirit) and my defence (bone armour).

Well, for hardcore, bone wall or bone prison makes fabulous sense. For SC,
it simply isn't worth the investment in points to protect against a rare
death, OTOH, CE is one the two most powerful skills in the game, and in
areas with large crowds, the bigger the better. This was never more evident
than it was in the moo-moo days.

Mickey
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:44:38 PM

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
[snip]
> I use a might merc and find that, even with RS and SM in the 30+ range my
> skellys just take forever to kill anything if the merc dies to IM (the
only
> thing that kills him). Just for the hell of it, and to stop repeated trips
> to town, I've cleared the CS and WSK3/Throneroom without him. It seems to
> take at least five times as long. Possibly as, by my estimate, the merc is
> responsible for 50% of the kills. However, the skellys seem quite impotent
> without the might aura. It's also quite noticable when I revive the merc
and
> he hasn't turned his aura yet. This is, of course, in hell.
[snip]

You tried a Beast runeword for your necro, ~misfit~?

Thats what my SC necro uses and finds the aura quite useful as it basically
doubles the damage output of your army :¬)
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:44:39 PM

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> [snip]
> > I use a might merc and find that, even with RS and SM in the 30+ range
my
> > skellys just take forever to kill anything if the merc dies to IM (the
> only
> > thing that kills him). Just for the hell of it, and to stop repeated
trips
> > to town, I've cleared the CS and WSK3/Throneroom without him. It seems
> > take at least five times as long. Possibly as, by my estimate, the merc
is
> > responsible for 50% of the kills. However, the skellys seem quite
impotent
> > without the might aura. It's also quite noticable when I revive the merc
> and
> > he hasn't turned his aura yet. This is, of course, in hell.
> [snip]
>
> You tried a Beast runeword for your necro, ~misfit~?
>
> Thats what my SC necro uses and finds the aura quite useful as it
basically
> doubles the damage output of your army :¬)

Tis a great second choice, right behind Enigma. No single thing in the game
makes a necro more dangerous than the ability to teleport.

Mickey
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:55:09 AM

> Trammel wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> > [snip]
> >> I use a might merc and find that, even with RS and SM in the 30+
> >> range my skellys just take forever to kill anything if the merc dies
> >> to IM (the only thing that kills him). Just for the hell of it, and
> >> to stop repeated trips to town, I've cleared the CS and
> >> WSK3/Throneroom without him. It seems to take at least five times as
> >> long. Possibly as, by my estimate, the merc is responsible for 50%
> >> of the kills. However, the skellys seem quite impotent without the
> >> might aura. It's also quite noticable when I revive the merc and he
> >> hasn't turned his aura yet. This is, of course, in hell.
> > [snip]
> >
> > You tried a Beast runeword for your necro, ~misfit~?
> >
> > Thats what my SC necro uses and finds the aura quite useful as it
> > basically doubles the damage output of your army :¬)
>
> I've often dreamt about having a Beast axe on a barb merc with my
> skellimancer. However, despite many, many hours of playing this game and a
> lot of those hours MFing the highest rune I've personally found is a Gul,
> and then I found two in the same game, in different acts.
>
> Sad but true.

Well, I just want to know how your'e gonna get a Beast Axe on a Barb
Merc.......

short

July 21, 2005 1:56:17 AM

In a parallel universe, Anti-Mickey said exactly the opposite of:

[beast runeword]

> Tis a great second choice, right behind Enigma. No single thing in the
> game makes a necro more dangerous than the ability to teleport.

Actually, no reason not to use both, Enigma is armor and Beast is weapon:

Beast
5 Socket Axes/Scepters/Hammers
Ber + Tir + Um + Mal + Lum
Level 9 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
+40% Increased Attack Speed
+240-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
20% Chance of Crushing Blow
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+3 To Werebear
+3 To Lycanthropy
Prevent Monster Heal
+25-40 To Strength (varies)
+10 To Energy
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 13 Summon Grizzly (5 Charges)

And level 9 Fanat gives Party Damage: +93%, 29% IAS and +80% AR which is
pretty nice especially if you have a might merc. If you want to go nuts and
you're very very rich you can also give the merc a Pride polearm:

Pride
4 Socket Polearms
Cham + Sur + Io + Lo
25% Chance To Cast Level 17 Fire Wall When Struck
Level 18 Concentration Aura When Equipped
260-300% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)
+1-99% Damage To Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 50-280 Lightning Damage
20% Deadly Strike
Hit Blinds Target
Freezes Target +3
+10 To Vitality
Replenish Life +8
1.875-185.625% Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level)

Level 18 Concentration gives +315% damage over 33.3 yards.

So all told, we'd have about 200% from might from the merc, 315% from the
merc's stick and +93% from the necro's Passion weapon. 608% ED, 29% IAS and
+80% AR.

The firewall from the Pride runeword comes out at 989-1012 damage per
second, 26 yards, which can be nice icing on the cake, and if you decide to
summon the grizzly on beast he might die fast (550-750 life) if he's
mobbed, but the 428-502 damage with might, fanaticism and concentration
would probably be pretty nice too. After all lvl 30 skellies with lvl 30
mastery have 544 life and do 309-312 damage so the grizzly would be like a
big fuzzy skeleton with knockback! :-)

It sounds extremely expensive, but I think it could pretty deadly.

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> I've often dreamt about having a Beast axe on a barb merc with my
> skellimancer.

Barb mercs can't use axes, just swords. If you want a Beast for your necro,
you have to carry it yourself. That's what keeps me from using one.

> --
> ~misfit~

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:14:09 AM

In a parallel universe, Anti-Mickey said exactly the opposite of:

[beast runeword]

> Tis a great second choice, right behind Enigma. No single thing in the
> game makes a necro more dangerous than the ability to teleport.

Actually, no reason not to use both, Enigma is armor and Beast is weapon:

Beast
5 Socket Axes/Scepters/Hammers
Ber + Tir + Um + Mal + Lum
Level 9 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
+40% Increased Attack Speed
+240-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
20% Chance of Crushing Blow
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+3 To Werebear
+3 To Lycanthropy
Prevent Monster Heal
+25-40 To Strength (varies)
+10 To Energy
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 13 Summon Grizzly (5 Charges)

And level 9 Fanat gives Party Damage: +93%, 29% IAS and +80% AR which is
pretty nice especially if you have a might merc. If you want to go nuts
and
you're very very rich you can also give the merc a Pride polearm:

Pride
4 Socket Polearms
Cham + Sur + Io + Lo
25% Chance To Cast Level 17 Fire Wall When Struck
Level 18 Concentration Aura When Equipped
260-300% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)
+1-99% Damage To Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 50-280 Lightning Damage
20% Deadly Strike
Hit Blinds Target
Freezes Target +3
+10 To Vitality
Replenish Life +8
1.875-185.625% Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level)

Level 18 Concentration gives +315% damage over 33.3 yards.

So all told, we'd have about 200% from might from the merc, 315% from the
merc's stick and +93% from the necro's Passion weapon. 608% ED, 29% IAS
and
+80% AR.

The firewall from the Pride runeword comes out at 989-1012 damage per
second, 26 yards, which can be nice icing on the cake, and if you decide
summon the grizzly on beast he might die fast (550-750 life) if he's
mobbed, but the 428-502 damage with might, fanaticism and concentration
would probably be pretty nice too. After all lvl 30 skellies with lvl 30
mastery have 544 life and do 309-312 damage so the grizzly would be like
big fuzzy skeleton with knockback! :-)

It sounds extremely expensive, but I think it could pretty deadly.

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage
point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very rude word" -
D. N. Adams
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:14:10 AM

"K.os" <K.osNO@SPAMvideotron.ca> wrote in message

> Actually, no reason not to use both, Enigma is armor and Beast is weapon:

Beast is a great summoner weapon if you can afford it. The only(and I mean
ONLY) reason my summoner doesn't use it is cause he a)also uses bone spells
and b)is also meant for PvP, MF, and rushing, so I need FCR on the weapon to
reach the breakpoint I'm aiming for(both for the bone spells and for the
teleport). If he was a pure summoner, or even a hybrid that didn't PvP I'd
use Beast instead of my HotO.

> Pride
> 4 Socket Polearms
> Cham + Sur + Io + Lo
> 25% Chance To Cast Level 17 Fire Wall When Struck
> Level 18 Concentration Aura When Equipped
> 260-300% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)
> +1-99% Damage To Demons (Based on Character Level)
> Adds 50-280 Lightning Damage
> 20% Deadly Strike
> Hit Blinds Target
> Freezes Target +3
> +10 To Vitality
> Replenish Life +8
> 1.875-185.625% Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level)

While it does boost skellies nicely, and the merc is pretty safe with all
those tanks, the weapon has no inherent ED so I'd have to test and see if
the merc got okay damage just from auras+amp and an elite polearm. Plus, I'm
actually not a fan of Freezes Target on summoner mercs.

> *-) K.os
> --
> "He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
> sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage
> point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very rude word" -
> D. N. Adams

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:16:24 PM

Shiflet wrote:
> "K.os" <K.osNO@SPAMvideotron.ca> wrote in message
>
> > Actually, no reason not to use both, Enigma is armor and Beast is weapon:
>
> Beast is a great summoner weapon if you can afford it. The only(and I mean
> ONLY) reason my summoner doesn't use it is cause he a)also uses bone spells
> and b)is also meant for PvP, MF, and rushing, so I need FCR on the weapon to
> reach the breakpoint I'm aiming for(both for the bone spells and for the
> teleport). If he was a pure summoner, or even a hybrid that didn't PvP I'd
> use Beast instead of my HotO.

Beast is on the bottom list of my favority summoner weapon. It could
be that I have never built a pure summoner. My typical built is
something like 20 RS, 20 SM, 1 Clay, 1 GM, 1 Resist, 1-5 CE, and bone
spells. With Marrowwalk on, at lvl 80, Bone Spear does around 3500
before any charms. So, my favorite weapon is a White wand, usually
made from a wand with bone spell skills. HotO should be a nice choice
to increase resistance and FCR, but I have already retired him.

> While it does boost skellies nicely, and the merc is pretty safe with all
> those tanks, the weapon has no inherent ED so I'd have to test and see if
> the merc got okay damage just from auras+amp and an elite polearm. Plus, I'm
> actually not a fan of Freezes Target on summoner mercs.

I absolutely agree. Having tested Pride on my summoner's merc, this is
one of the worst weapon there is. The Hit Freezes Target makes it that
much harder to get the first corpse. Damage wise, he does ok after
adding the Might and Concentration aura. That's a terrible thing, as
my Bone Spear has to compete with him for that first non-shattering
corpse.

> > *-) K.os
> > --
> > "He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
> > sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage
> > point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very rude word" -
> > D. N. Adams

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:26:27 PM

Mickey wrote:

> Coming:
>
> OK, the ultimate necro is the meatgrinder. He is a hybrid necro.
>
> You pump CE so that it gets over level 20 (with +skills gear).
> You max skeletons
> You max skel mastery
> You drop a few points into revives

Unless you plan to fight Uber Diablo or Rush the Seal in Chaos Sancty,
no more than 1 point in Revives are needed. Heck, I don't usually
bother with Revives. I am happy with Clay Golem and spent the rest of
the points into Bone Spells. Sure Fire Golem is the best there is
against Black Souls, but I can hold my fort with my Bone Spears.

> Everything else into either bone spearor bonespirit
> You get a rabbi (prayer merc, act2) and give him an insight stick

I much prefer a Might merc.

> You drop about 30 points or so into energy, take STR to either 60 or 110 (if
> you have marrowwalks)

That is if you detest buying so many mana potions in your early level.
Otherwise, I'd leave Energy at base, especially if you plan to use
Insight.

> Everything else into VIT
>
> And presto, you have a meatgrinder :)
>
> Mickey
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:42:32 PM

> Mickey wrote:
> > "Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> You tried a Beast runeword for your necro, ~misfit~?
> >>
> >> Thats what my SC necro uses and finds the aura quite useful as it
> >> basically doubles the damage output of your army :¬)
> >
> > Tis a great second choice, right behind Enigma. No single thing in
> > the game makes a necro more dangerous than the ability to teleport.
>
> Indeed. I'm not rich enough to get an Enigma but I always have Spellsteel
or
> Naj's Puzzler on switch. It's a quick <w-right click> and I'm outta there.
> :-)
>
> Either outta there or telekilling.

Yes, exactly. Given top choice, I like the Enigma/HotO combo best on a
necro.

Mickey
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:49:34 PM

In article <mwBDe.4768$Iv5.2274@fe02.lga>,
Shiflet <rshiflet@charter.net> wrote:

>"K.os" <K.osNO@SPAMvideotron.ca> wrote in message
>
>> Actually, no reason not to use both, Enigma is armor and Beast is weapon:
>
>Beast is a great summoner weapon if you can afford it. The only(and I mean
>ONLY) reason my summoner doesn't use it is cause he a)also uses bone spells
>and b)is also meant for PvP, MF, and rushing, so I need FCR on the weapon to
>reach the breakpoint I'm aiming for(both for the bone spells and for the
>teleport). If he was a pure summoner, or even a hybrid that didn't PvP I'd
>use Beast instead of my HotO.

I'm not really sure. My Skelliemancer uses an Isted Arm of King Leoric,
which adds quite a lot of goodies to my Skelliemancer. While Beast always
looked very nice on paper, I'm not sure how much it will help: All I need
is a body or 2, and CE will do the rest. In most cases my merc (especially
since he's now using a quite nice Insight and Fortitude) gets the first
kill, and I take it over from there, CE-ing.

Fanaticism would indeed make the skellies and merc more dangerous, but it
will probably shave off only a second or so from that first body.

>> Pride
>> 4 Socket Polearms
>> Cham + Sur + Io + Lo
>> 25% Chance To Cast Level 17 Fire Wall When Struck
>> Level 18 Concentration Aura When Equipped
>> 260-300% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)
>> +1-99% Damage To Demons (Based on Character Level)
>> Adds 50-280 Lightning Damage
>> 20% Deadly Strike
>> Hit Blinds Target
>> Freezes Target +3
>> +10 To Vitality
>> Replenish Life +8
>> 1.875-185.625% Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level)
>
>While it does boost skellies nicely, and the merc is pretty safe with all
>those tanks, the weapon has no inherent ED so I'd have to test and see if
>the merc got okay damage just from auras+amp and an elite polearm. Plus, I'm
>actually not a fan of Freezes Target on summoner mercs.

I find Pride a very underwhelming runeword, especially for the costs.
Also, dont' forget the 'Hit Blinds Target' overrules a curce like Amp
Damage. Not good when you AmpDam a Physical Immune to remove the physical
immunity and the merc immediately hits the monster, replacing the AmpDam
with a Hit Blinds Target.

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:49:35 PM

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:2a233$42df538e$82a1d3bf$10657@news1.tudelft.nl...
> I'm not really sure. My Skelliemancer uses an Isted Arm of King Leoric,
> which adds quite a lot of goodies to my Skelliemancer.

Having tried both, I can safely say I'll take a Beast over an Arm of Leoric
socketed with ANYTHING. But I got rid of the Beast cause I needed FCR.

> While Beast always
> looked very nice on paper, I'm not sure how much it will help: All I need
> is a body or 2, and CE will do the rest.

If that's the way you play, you're not really a summoner IMO, you're a CE
necro who raises a few things. Beast is better for people who let their
summons kill. Nothing at all wrong with CE use(I use it too), just saying if
that's your main killer, calling yourself a summoner is a bit off for me.

> In most cases my merc (especially since he's now using a quite nice
Insight and Fortitude) gets the first kill, and I take it over from there,
CE-ing.

Which goes back to the above, Beast is for summoners who let their summons
fight. If you let your merc kill and then just stand back and CE, the
summons are sorta an afterthought.

> Fanaticism would indeed make the skellies and merc more dangerous, but it
> will probably shave off only a second or so from that first body.

If you do most of your killing with CE, you don't really need the skellies
at all, you just need a decent merc, so of course you don't need the Beast.

> I find Pride a very underwhelming runeword, especially for the costs.

Me too.

> Also, dont' forget the 'Hit Blinds Target' overrules a curce like Amp
> Damage. Not good when you AmpDam a Physical Immune to remove the physical
> immunity and the merc immediately hits the monster, replacing the AmpDam
> with a Hit Blinds Target.

Oh yes, I didn't notice the HBT, otherwise I would have said the same thing
as you.

> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:16:58 PM

> Mickey wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message

> >> Indeed. I'm not rich enough to get an Enigma but I always have
> >> Spellsteel or Naj's Puzzler on switch. It's a quick <w-right click>
> >> and I'm outta there. :-)
> >>
> >> Either outta there or telekilling.
> >
> > Yes, exactly. Given top choice, I like the Enigma/HotO combo best on a
> > necro.
>
> Ahh, HotO, I asked above what weapon you liked on a summoner. tis a good
> choice. I better get some mule rushes going in HC and get me a Vex. I
> currently use a Leoric's socketed with a resist all jewel.

Absent a HotO, I'll take a nice 2 socket gray wand, with some skills that
smell like SM, Skel, CE or BS.

Mickey
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:42:18 PM

"Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Shiflet wrote:
> > "K.os" <K.osNO@SPAMvideotron.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > > Actually, no reason not to use both, Enigma is armor and Beast is
weapon:

> > Beast is a great summoner weapon if you can afford it. The only(and I
mean
> > ONLY) reason my summoner doesn't use it is cause he a)also uses bone
spells
> > and b)is also meant for PvP, MF, and rushing, so I need FCR on the
weapon to
> > reach the breakpoint I'm aiming for(both for the bone spells and for the
> > teleport). If he was a pure summoner, or even a hybrid that didn't PvP
I'd
> > use Beast instead of my HotO.
>
> Beast is on the bottom list of my favority summoner weapon. It could
> be that I have never built a pure summoner.

And if you did, it still wouldn't be. The extra damage you get isn't worth
what a pure summoner would give up with the right White wand.

Mickey
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:43:43 PM

> Mickey wrote:
>
> > Coming:
> >
> > OK, the ultimate necro is the meatgrinder. He is a hybrid necro.
> >
> > You pump CE so that it gets over level 20 (with +skills gear).
> > You max skeletons
> > You max skel mastery
> > You drop a few points into revives
>
> Unless you plan to fight Uber Diablo or Rush the Seal in Chaos Sancty,
> no more than 1 point in Revives are needed. Heck, I don't usually
> bother with Revives. I am happy with Clay Golem and spent the rest of
> the points into Bone Spells. Sure Fire Golem is the best there is
> against Black Souls, but I can hold my fort with my Bone Spears.
>
> > Everything else into either bone spearor bonespirit
> > You get a rabbi (prayer merc, act2) and give him an insight stick
>
> I much prefer a Might merc.

Not for a meatgrinder. It does nothing to help his promary attack, where as
an Insight rabbi makes him mostly unkillable.

> > You drop about 30 points or so into energy, take STR to either 60 or 110
(if
> > you have marrowwalks)
>
> That is if you detest buying so many mana potions in your early level.
> Otherwise, I'd leave Energy at base, especially if you plan to use
> Insight.

I like to have a little to help out with the +% I get from frosties and a
pair of SOJs, as well as the spider belt.

Mickey

> > Everything else into VIT
> >
> > And presto, you have a meatgrinder :)
> >
> > Mickey

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:50:46 PM

In article <HGLDe.6428$Iv5.1575@fe02.lga>,
Shiflet <rshiflet@charter.net> wrote:

>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:2a233$42df538e$82a1d3bf$10657@news1.tudelft.nl...
>> I'm not really sure. My Skelliemancer uses an Isted Arm of King Leoric,
>> which adds quite a lot of goodies to my Skelliemancer.
>
>Having tried both, I can safely say I'll take a Beast over an Arm of Leoric
>socketed with ANYTHING. But I got rid of the Beast cause I needed FCR.

Well, I haven't tried a Beast weapon yet, so I can't comment on the
practical use. :)  I do have one Ber spare, so I _could_ make one.

However, I'm more or less collecting some more Ists, so I can get a second
Ber, and make an Infinity polearm. Much more useful I think.

>> While Beast always
>> looked very nice on paper, I'm not sure how much it will help: All I need
>> is a body or 2, and CE will do the rest.
>
>If that's the way you play, you're not really a summoner IMO, you're a CE
>necro who raises a few things. Beast is better for people who let their
>summons kill. Nothing at all wrong with CE use(I use it too), just saying if
>that's your main killer, calling yourself a summoner is a bit off for me.

Aww, come one, the skellies are there to provide my meat-shield (errr, or
should I call the Bone shield? :) ) for the Summoner. Also see the
Meatgrinder build als described by Mickey; my skelliemancer is more or
less built like that, minor details aside.

>> In most cases my merc (especially since he's now using a quite nice
>Insight and Fortitude) gets the first kill, and I take it over from there,
>CE-ing.
>
>Which goes back to the above, Beast is for summoners who let their summons
>fight. If you let your merc kill and then just stand back and CE, the
>summons are sorta an afterthought.

If that's the case, I think even a Summoner with Beast + Pride + Might
Merc, who does NOT use CE, will be a slow killer compared to one using CE.

The Summons are not an afterthought, they're a moving wall between me and
the monsters, there to distracts and perhaps kill something.

>> Fanaticism would indeed make the skellies and merc more dangerous, but it
>> will probably shave off only a second or so from that first body.
>
>If you do most of your killing with CE, you don't really need the skellies
>at all, you just need a decent merc, so of course you don't need the Beast.

Of course I need the skellies, because they still hit quite hard, and
together with the Merc are all that stands between me and the enemy. I'm
not going out there without those guys, because the there would be very
little between me and the enemy. :)

>> Also, dont' forget the 'Hit Blinds Target' overrules a curce like Amp
>> Damage. Not good when you AmpDam a Physical Immune to remove the physical
>> immunity and the merc immediately hits the monster, replacing the AmpDam
>> with a Hit Blinds Target.
>
>Oh yes, I didn't notice the HBT, otherwise I would have said the same thing
>as you.

This also makes the Doom runeword not very interesting for the merc of a
skelliemancer... (I tried a Doom when experimentning a bit in SP, not
nice, especially also because of the corpse shattering induced by the Holy
Freeze aura...)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:15:23 PM

In article <27d5f$42df8c16$82a1d3bf$17827@news2.tudelft.nl>,
Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Also, dont' forget the 'Hit Blinds Target' overrules a curce like Amp
>>> Damage. Not good when you AmpDam a Physical Immune to remove the physical
>>> immunity and the merc immediately hits the monster, replacing the AmpDam
>>> with a Hit Blinds Target.
>>
>>Oh yes, I didn't notice the HBT, otherwise I would have said the same thing
>>as you.
>
>This also makes the Doom runeword not very interesting for the merc of a
>skelliemancer... (I tried a Doom when experimentning a bit in SP, not
>nice, especially also because of the corpse shattering induced by the Holy
>Freeze aura...)

Oops, I meant 'Eternity', that one has 'Hit Blinds Target'. But Doom is
also not too hot, due to the Freezing...

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:35:01 PM

> So what do you use? :-)

HotO.

> --
> ~misfit~

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:42:26 PM

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:27d5f$42df8c16$82a1d3bf$17827@news2.tudelft.nl...

> Well, I haven't tried a Beast weapon yet, so I can't comment on the
> practical use. :)  I do have one Ber spare, so I _could_ make one.

I wouldn't make one unless you're playing a summoner though, rather than a
CE necro.

> However, I'm more or less collecting some more Ists, so I can get a second
> Ber, and make an Infinity polearm. Much more useful I think.

Infinity would definitely be more useful if you play elemental builds.

> Aww, come one, the skellies are there to provide my meat-shield (errr, or
> should I call the Bone shield? :) ) for the Summoner.

With a merc and a decent golem and a high level CE, how often do you really
need them though?

> If that's the case, I think even a Summoner with Beast + Pride + Might
> Merc, who does NOT use CE, will be a slow killer compared to one using CE.

And a ranger will be a slow killer compared to a zealot and a warcry barb
will be a slow killer compared to a WW guy, but it doesn't mean a paladin
who carries a bow on switch and does all his killing with zeal and a Doom
axe is a ranger, and it doesn't mean a barb who runs in, warcries once, then
whirls through everything with a BotD CB is a singer. IMO of course.

> The Summons are not an afterthought, they're a moving wall between me and
> the monsters, there to distracts and perhaps kill something.

You're just using them as a distraction, which makes them an afterthought.
You can get the same affect with bone walls/prisons, merc, golem, etc.

> Of course I need the skellies, because they still hit quite hard, and
> together with the Merc are all that stands between me and the enemy. I'm
> not going out there without those guys, because the there would be very
> little between me and the enemy. :)

With a strong merc, a golem, and a high CE(and bone armor, if you use it),
you don't really *need* much between you and the enemy.

> This also makes the Doom runeword not very interesting for the merc of a
> skelliemancer... (I tried a Doom when experimentning a bit in SP, not
> nice, especially also because of the corpse shattering induced by the Holy
> Freeze aura...)

Yep, I won't use Doom on a summoner's merc.

> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:46:06 PM

"Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Beast is on the bottom list of my favority summoner weapon. It could
> be that I have never built a pure summoner. My typical built is
> something like 20 RS, 20 SM, 1 Clay, 1 GM, 1 Resist, 1-5 CE, and bone
> spells. With Marrowwalk on, at lvl 80, Bone Spear does around 3500
> before any charms. So, my favorite weapon is a White wand, usually
> made from a wand with bone spell skills. HotO should be a nice choice
> to increase resistance and FCR, but I have already retired him.

Since I use Bone Spirit(which has damage in the same range of your spear)
and teleport a lot, I use HotO for the skills/fast cast/resistance combo.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:29:00 AM

> Shiflet wrote:
> > "Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl>
> > wrote in message
> >> Aww, come one, the skellies are there to provide my meat-shield
> >> (errr, or should I call the Bone shield? :) ) for the Summoner.
> >
> > With a merc and a decent golem and a high level CE, how often do you
> > really need them though?
>
> Every time undead stygian dolls come running at him. <g>
> --
> ~misfit~

Hehe, that's for sure.

short

July 22, 2005 2:30:17 PM

In article <oxVDe.11485$Iv5.2242@fe02.lga>,
Shiflet <rshiflet@charter.net> wrote:

>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:27d5f$42df8c16$82a1d3bf$17827@news2.tudelft.nl...
>
>> Well, I haven't tried a Beast weapon yet, so I can't comment on the
>> practical use. :)  I do have one Ber spare, so I _could_ make one.
>
>I wouldn't make one unless you're playing a summoner though, rather than a
>CE necro.

If that's the terminology, so be it. I rather thought I was building a
Summomer variant.

Where does a pure Summoner put his skills then? Maxed Skellie Mages? More
in one of the golems? More in the curses?

>> However, I'm more or less collecting some more Ists, so I can get a second
>> Ber, and make an Infinity polearm. Much more useful I think.
>
>Infinity would definitely be more useful if you play elemental builds.

The Conviction aura has so many goodies, it has something to offer for
about any build. Even een Summoner/CE-Skelliemancer/whatever would be
helped by it: it lowers the defense of the monsters so they can be hit
easier, and the lowered resists will make the fire component of CE a lot
more damaging.

But looking at it's mods, it looks like it'll benefit a Chain Lightning
sorceress most; does the lower lightning resist on Infinity als benefit
the sorc's lightning spells however?

>> Aww, come one, the skellies are there to provide my meat-shield (errr, or
>> should I call the Bone shield? :) ) for the Summoner.
>
>With a merc and a decent golem and a high level CE, how often do you really
>need them though?

See other reply: when a pack of Stygian Dolls comes running my way, or
when I run into a big pack of ranged attackers (those Hell Witches in
WSK2/3 are a fine example of why you want as many distractions as
possible...

Same goes for any big mob of melee monsters; f.i. those large packs of
those midgets in Act 3 and sometimes WSK2/3...

>> If that's the case, I think even a Summoner with Beast + Pride + Might
>> Merc, who does NOT use CE, will be a slow killer compared to one using CE.
>
>And a ranger will be a slow killer compared to a zealot and a warcry barb
>will be a slow killer compared to a WW guy, but it doesn't mean a paladin
>who carries a bow on switch and does all his killing with zeal and a Doom
>axe is a ranger, and it doesn't mean a barb who runs in, warcries once, then
>whirls through everything with a BotD CB is a singer. IMO of course.

The build I described is a variant on the basic Summoner. Once you've
maxed SM and RS, the Summoner is more or less finished. What you do after
that, is tweak the build, but in my definition it still is a Summoner.

Of course we can argue the fine details, but I understand what you're
saying, and it's all a matter of definition, and I don't think we can gain
anything discussing this any further...

>You're just using them as a distraction, which makes them an afterthought.
>You can get the same affect with bone walls/prisons, merc, golem, etc.

But not with the same effectiveness..

>With a strong merc, a golem, and a high CE(and bone armor, if you use it),
>you don't really *need* much between you and the enemy.

Most enemies will be ok, but there are situations... See above.

[snip]

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:30:18 PM

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:1db94$42e0ae99$82a1d3bf$2055@news1.tudelft.nl...

> Where does a pure Summoner put his skills then? Maxed Skellie Mages? More
> in one of the golems? More in the curses?

High level mages and revives(and golem/golem mastery and maybe summon
resist, if you want, though I wouldn't). CE is used as a secondary skill,
the summons do the work and the CE helps clear them out. If you don't even
need the summons to kill(you already said your merc gets the first kill,
then it's CE till the end) it just seems...odd to say you're a summoner.

> The Conviction aura has so many goodies, it has something to offer for
> about any build. Even een Summoner/CE-Skelliemancer/whatever would be
> helped by it: it lowers the defense of the monsters so they can be hit
> easier, and the lowered resists will make the fire component of CE a lot
> more damaging.

Hitting usually isn't a problem with skels for me, but yeah, it would boost
the CE fire damage.

> does the lower lightning resist on Infinity als benefit the sorc's
lightning spells however?

Nope, only benefits the character using the weapon(in this case, the merc).
Essentially that mod is wasted on a merc.

> See other reply: when a pack of Stygian Dolls comes running my way, or
> when I run into a big pack of ranged attackers (those Hell Witches in
> WSK2/3 are a fine example of why you want as many distractions as
> possible...

Bone walls and prisons can accomplish the same thing though, and bone armor
can protect you from stray hits.

> >You're just using them as a distraction, which makes them an
afterthought.
> >You can get the same affect with bone walls/prisons, merc, golem, etc.
>
> But not with the same effectiveness..

With even better effectiveness-you don't need corpses to raise bone walls
and prisons, you can cast them whenever and wherever you need them.

!