Wired desktop and wireless router Question.

I have a wireless setup for my laptop(XP_Home) and I wanted to add my
wired desktop(98SE) to the network as I don't have a wireless PC card.
The problem is my desktop doesnot have a CAT5 input only phone line. I
was until now connecting to my cable modem using USB port but now the
wireless router only has the CAT5 so I am not able to add my desktop
to is using USB.

I tried to connect my desktop directly to the Cable modem but a I am
not able to connect to Internet.

Please help. Do I need to buy additional hardware to connect my
desktop to the wireless router ???

Thanks a lot.
7 answers Last reply
More about wired desktop wireless router question

    ritskits@yahoo.com (surbhi) wrote in message news:<91238b26.0409141926.79401b9b@posting.google.com>...
    > I have a wireless setup for my laptop(XP_Home) and I wanted to add my
    > wired desktop(98SE) to the network as I don't have a wireless PC card.
    > The problem is my desktop doesnot have a CAT5 input only phone line. I
    > was until now connecting to my cable modem using USB port but now the
    > wireless router only has the CAT5 so I am not able to add my desktop
    > to is using USB.
    >
    > I tried to connect my desktop directly to the Cable modem but a I am
    > not able to connect to Internet.
    >
    > Please help. Do I need to buy additional hardware to connect my
    > desktop to the wireless router ???

    network cards a very inexpensive 8 - 15 bucks. since you're using 98
    try to get the drivers from the place you bought, but they are easy
    enough to download if you get a known brand like 3com etc. if you've
    never installed anything in a PC before then you might want to have
    somw help.

    Do a search for usb to ethernet.. I have (4) on my pc right now....

    njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:41485071.22847671
    @news.eclipse.net:

    > Do a search for usb to ethernet.. I have (4) on my pc right now....

    <SNIP>

    DON'T do a search for USB to Ethernet. Why would you do that when a NIC can
    be had for $5-$10 w/rebates or just plain on sale.

    I never understood why USB is used for so many things. USB mouse, USB
    keyboard, USB printer, USB to Eth. IMO, USB should be used for devices that
    you plug and unplug regularly, i.e. a digital camera. That was the original
    intention of USB from what I remember. I have a USB mouse, that came with a
    PS2 adapter, so I use the PS2 port.

    If you open up the device mangler, then view -> resources by type, and
    expand IRQ, chances are ALL USB UsbHostController's share the same IRQ, and
    MAY not be able to be changed. In my eye's, this is just a disaster waiting
    to happen. It may be OK for very low usage devices, but even then I'd go a
    different route if possible.

    Oh yeah, a scanner is the only other USB device I'd probably use, since the
    transfer rate is much better than the parallel port.

    Regards,

    DS

    Yes, you need a Network Card. It's probably easier to get your local shop to
    install it.

    DS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:
    > DON'T do a search for USB to Ethernet. Why would you do that when a NIC can
    > be had for $5-$10 w/rebates or just plain on sale.

    Because the back side of a PC is a dreadful place to put a radio antenna.
    The USB-wireless adapter can be mounted someplace with a better radio view
    of the world. My DLink DWL-122, with a five foot cable, was $9.

    > I never understood why USB is used for so many things. USB mouse, USB
    > keyboard, USB printer, USB to Eth. IMO, USB should be used for devices that
    > you plug and unplug regularly, i.e. a digital camera. That was the original
    > intention of USB from what I remember. I have a USB mouse, that came with a
    > PS2 adapter, so I use the PS2 port.

    I don't think "universal serial bus" has any particular "pluggable only"
    connotation to it. Hotplug is part of the design, but that's true for a
    lot of PCI cards as well.

    > It may be OK for very low usage devices, but even then I'd go a different
    > route if possible.

    40-60MBpS disk drives are available for USB.

    > Oh yeah, a scanner is the only other USB device I'd probably use, since the
    > transfer rate is much better than the parallel port.

    Aha! You've seen the light. ;-)

    Size is king. The parallel port and serial ports are disappearing, both
    from lack of use, and a need for space. One USB port with an external hub
    can accomodate a lot of external devices that not everyone has. No need to
    waste the space for ports that don't get used by 90% of the population.

    --
    ---

    dold@XReXXWired.usenet.us.com wrote in news:cialj0$s00$1@blue.rahul.net:

    > DS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:
    >> DON'T do a search for USB to Ethernet. Why would you do that when a
    >> NIC can be had for $5-$10 w/rebates or just plain on sale.
    >
    > Because the back side of a PC is a dreadful place to put a radio
    > antenna. The USB-wireless adapter can be mounted someplace with a
    > better radio view of the world. My DLink DWL-122, with a five foot
    > cable, was $9.

    I took the post as they wanted to add a wired connection, which is what
    the OP said he/she wanted to do, and asked about hardware.

    Also no need to use a wireless card on a desktop if it's within a wire's
    shot of the switch, which undoubtably has a much lower potential for
    issue's in the future, more secure, and with better performance.

    > Size is king. The parallel port and serial ports are disappearing,
    > both from lack of use, and a need for space. One USB port with an
    > external hub can accomodate a lot of external devices that not
    > everyone has. No need to waste the space for ports that don't get
    > used by 90% of the population.

    Just as a clarification, I agree with you, why not get rid of the stuff
    that 90% of the people don't use. The serial port is very common in the
    communications field, which I'm in, and most devices I use regularly have
    regular old fashion com ports. I'm not completely against using it, but I
    feel the implementation of it is flawed. One USB port to a 4-port USB hub
    is still just one USB port. All of the devices connected to it are
    fighting for it's piece of the bandwidth back thru the main line. There
    is the real potential for problems with this setup when two or more of
    these are high-thruput devices.

    Thing's like a mouse and KB are trivial, and then you add a USB NIC, a
    USB hard drive, scanner and printer, maybe even a video capture device,
    the cable/DSL modem.....there's going to be some issue(s) somewhere.
    There's 3,4,5, proprietary USB device driver's, all from different
    manufacturers, interacting with one USB controller, and all of them are
    sharing one hardware interupt. The PCI bus allows sharing IRQ's, but
    there are known issue's with this, especially among video cards.

    That's all....

    Thanks for reading,

    DS

    DS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:
    > dold@XReXXWired.usenet.us.com wrote in news:cialj0$s00$1@blue.rahul.net:

    >> DS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:
    >>> DON'T do a search for USB to Ethernet. Why would you do that when a
    >>> NIC can be had for $5-$10 w/rebates or just plain on sale.
    >>
    >> Because the back side of a PC is a dreadful place to put a radio
    >> antenna. The USB-wireless adapter can be mounted someplace with a
    >> better radio view of the world. My DLink DWL-122, with a five foot
    >> cable, was $9.

    > I took the post as they wanted to add a wired connection, which is what
    > the OP said he/she wanted to do, and asked about hardware.

    Right you are... A $9 wired NIC is the way to go. I misread something.

    > Also no need to use a wireless card on a desktop if it's within a wire's
    > shot of the switch, which undoubtably has a much lower potential for
    > issue's in the future, more secure, and with better performance.

    Yep.

    > Just as a clarification, I agree with you, why not get rid of the stuff
    > that 90% of the people don't use. The serial port is very common in the
    > communications field, which I'm in, and most devices I use regularly have

    Lots of whining in the GPS group about the number of laptops that no longer
    have serial ports, and in my way of thinking, they are more likely to need
    them than desktops, but that may just be my usage pattern.

    --
    ---

Wireless Router Wireless Desktops Wireless Networking