Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Flash: It Sucks for Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantheman1001

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
As much as I dislike apple for proprietary software, I think he may have a point... at least I'm getting the new droid, which can do flash AND everything else.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
the only legit reason i see Steve has, is the fact that because there is no mouse/rollover concept on the iphone, then most flash would have to be rewritten to fit the iphone standards. but, i still think the iphone needs to find a way to work with flash. I honestly believe that is the #1 most important thing that is holding the iphone back from being the best phone on the market for many years to come.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Mr. Jobs,
When the H.264 had become open web standard?! Last time I check H.264 requires licence fee and Open Source Vendors can't get licence if they want to implement it as Open Source Library. There is free as beer and free as liberty codec called Ogg Theora, but Apple don't support it either. Not only that but the Apples is using their membership in W3C to block the adoption of the Ogg Theora as part of the HTML5 standard. In fact this is the main reason why the the HTML5 was delayed so long.
Corporate hypocrisy.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
"For example, many Flash websites rely on “rollovers”, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover."

so isnt that a flaw of the OS not having the concept of a rollover, and not flash for having that feature?

G

hahahahahaha open... as long as it's an open standard created by apple.......

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]DXWarlock[/nom]"For example, many Flash websites rely on “rollovers”, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover."so isnt that a flaw of the OS not having the concept of a rollover, and not flash for having that feature?[/citation]

I don't get that one because JavaScript supports rollover and he specific says they accept JavaScript...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Oh quit your complaining; just because you use HTML5 and CSS doesn't mean you're any better than Adobe. Have you not noticed how well Flash has caught on, and how widely it's been used, despite it's downfalls, for a decade now? How many articles has there been saying that Steve Jobs doesn't like flash. 3, 4 now?

UbeRveLT

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]What the man said is probably right.[/citation]
You are correct. Although people will flame his views, if they bothered to read it and understand it for what it is and not let their 'i hate apple' views get in the way, they will realise that what he said is very correct, although there is a little marketing in there :p

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Steve jobs is so full of garbage it's not even funny, starting with "Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true." The entire article jobs wrote is a pile of crap.

Apple: Redefining hypocracy daily.

Old big Blue is taking notes....

If I ever get my own company started up if the banks and the retards in Washington don't mess things up more than they are I wont be supporting any thing Apple based. Its the software and their increasing worsening ethics. I don't like how they treat their customers. I don't like how they treat their employees. I loathe the products and how they think they know what every one wants, no need for citation past articles on here are more than enough. Over all Apple is a company to do business with from a consumer stand point and from a corporate stand point. Eventually their fan base will get bored and discover Linux knowing how windows isn't that much better than osx. The only thing I can had to them is aesthetics and their products are idiot proof. That is why pre schools use macs from pre-k up till 4th grade and windows from there on up till 12th grade.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Shockingly enough, I agree with everything Jobs said except for two things:

- H.264 is not "open," it requires a license.
- His sixth point. Who cares if a developer has a sub-par app. If it is so sub-par, then the app won't sell, and if it doesn't sell then maybe the developer will "see the light" and not use the 3rd party development tool. Simple as that.

And for all of those people who flamed Jobs about not having an many open source products, he did specifically say that he was referring to the web being open, not other products. And Webkit is indeed open, primarily developed by Apple (and Google). I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't like him any more than the rest of you, but read carefully next time.

suras

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
1) I think hes right in general.
2) Apple isn't really known as a supporter of open standards themselves, why i personally dont think they:
A) have earned their right to bitch about this matter
B) really trying to offer a real solution to the problem

Id gladly support him/apple if they were earnest and also tried to represent "us" consumers. As it is, they are just trying to protect themselves.

/Suras

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
This is not about proprietary Apple hardware, app store or iPhone marketing, it is about the Web and the tools used to create the content and content delivery.
The Web, unlike Apple's proprietary offerings, which, should you need reminding, no one is forced to purchase, belongs to everyone. The Web (yes, that's constructed by us) will benefit from open HTML 5 and video codecs (one of which, H.264, is fee free until at least 2015 and could be free for a further five years beyond that date). This may allow enough time for a truly open source video codec to be developed and tested. Robustness will be critical. Ogg is not currently up to much, H.264 is a far better standard at this point in time. Flash is a proprietary plug-in, buggy and a perennial security risk. Do any of you really want critical aspects of the Web to be in the hands of Apple, Microsoft, Google, Adobe? That's all Steve Jobs is saying. He sees a better web experience for everyone if no one company controls how content is delivered. The rest is about how competitors best to use the "open" tools as leverage to make this happen.

subaqua

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
well if apple supports flash, then all the M$ will want silverlight support too... html5 is a *good* thing; I've started converting my apps to use html5/canvas type approaches, have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS