I have discovered a new icon on my desktop, it says desktop.ini. When I
open it using Notepad it says

[LocalizedFileNames]
Windows Media Player.lnk=@C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe,-4

Why would it suddenly appear and can I safely delete it? I haven't made any
recent changes to the computer except download Windows Updates, a bunch of
different ones on June 14, and KB898461 on June 28. Thanks in advance for
any help offered.

Hi,

It's normal, it's just usually a hidden system file that holds information
about the vidual setting for your desktop folder. You likely opened your
browser to C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\desktop, which is why it
appears. You can safely delete it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/