What does this error mean?

While installing a program, I got the following error:

Error 1402. Could not open key:
HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.

My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
appreciated. Craig
4 answers Last reply
More about what error mean

    Hi Craig,

    Start/run regedit, expand to this key:

    Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
    sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
    and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > While installing a program, I got the following error:
    >
    > Error 1402. Could not open key:
    > HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
    > sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
    >
    > My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
    > appreciated. Craig

    I added a word "administrator". Rebooting did not solve the problem. I
    am wondering whether I should modify two items under "Permissions for
    Administrator" or not. None of "Allow" and "Deny" boxes of Full Control
    or Read were not checked. Should I check one of these? Please advise me.
    Craig

    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > Start/run regedit, expand to this key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
    > sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
    > and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> While installing a program, I got the following error:
    >>
    >> Error 1402. Could not open key:
    >> HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
    >> sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
    >>
    >> My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
    >> appreciated. Craig

    Hi Craig,

    Make sure administrator had "full control", and also the account name being
    used to install the software.

    --

    >I added a word "administrator". Rebooting did not solve the problem. I
    >am wondering whether I should modify two items under "Permissions for
    >Administrator" or not. None of "Allow" and "Deny" boxes of Full
    >Control or Read were not checked. Should I check one of these? Please
    >advise me. Craig

    >> Hi Craig,
    >>
    >> Start/run regedit, expand to this key:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
    >> sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
    >> and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> While installing a program, I got the following error:
    >>>
    >>> Error 1402. Could not open key:
    >>> HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
    >>> sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
    >>>
    >>> My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
    >>> appreciated. Craig

    Hi Nutcase,

    The "Run" became a serious headache.
    This error is probably the same as Error 1402.
    I tried all (from Google search) to solve this problem in vain.
    Because of this problem, I am no longer install any new programs.
    The problem, I believe, started to appear while uninstalling MS antispyware
    beta.

    craig

    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > Start/run regedit, expand to this key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
    > sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
    > and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> While installing a program, I got the following error:
    >>
    >> Error 1402. Could not open key:
    >> HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
    >> sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
    >>
    >> My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
    >> appreciated. Craig

Microsoft Windows XP