What does this error mean?

While installing a program, I got the following error:

Error 1402. Could not open key:
HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.

My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
appreciated. Craig

Hi Craig,

Start/run regedit, expand to this key:

Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> While installing a program, I got the following error:
>
> Error 1402. Could not open key:
> HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
> sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
>
> My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
> appreciated. Craig

I added a word "administrator". Rebooting did not solve the problem. I
am wondering whether I should modify two items under "Permissions for
Administrator" or not. None of "Allow" and "Deny" boxes of Full Control
or Read were not checked. Should I check one of these? Please advise me.
Craig

> Hi Craig,
>
> Start/run regedit, expand to this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
> sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
> and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> While installing a program, I got the following error:
>>
>> Error 1402. Could not open key:
>> HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
>> sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
>>
>> My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
>> appreciated. Craig

Hi Craig,

Make sure administrator had "full control", and also the account name being
used to install the software.

--

>I added a word "administrator". Rebooting did not solve the problem. I
>am wondering whether I should modify two items under "Permissions for
>Administrator" or not. None of "Allow" and "Deny" boxes of Full
>Control or Read were not checked. Should I check one of these? Please
>advise me. Craig

>> Hi Craig,
>>
>> Start/run regedit, expand to this key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>>
>> Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
>> sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
>> and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> While installing a program, I got the following error:
>>>
>>> Error 1402. Could not open key:
>>> HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
>>> sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
>>>
>>> My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
>>> appreciated. Craig

Hi Nutcase,

The "Run" became a serious headache.
This error is probably the same as Error 1402.
I tried all (from Google search) to solve this problem in vain.
Because of this problem, I am no longer install any new programs.
The problem, I believe, started to appear while uninstalling MS antispyware
beta.

craig

> Hi Craig,
>
> Start/run regedit, expand to this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> Right click on it, choose permissions. Your user account may not have
> sufficient privileges to modify/add to this key. You will need to add it,
> and this may require logging on with the administrator account to do so.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> While installing a program, I got the following error:
>>
>> Error 1402. Could not open key:
>> HKey_Local_Machine\......Current Vesion|Run. Verify that you have
>> sufficient access to that key, or contct your support personnel.
>>
>> My computer (WinXP Pro-Sp2) is running very well. Your input would be
>> appreciated. Craig

TRENDING THREADS